iPhone 5 Charging Problem - Solved

sad_old_man

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I have spent some time dealing with a charging issue on my iPhone 5. I researched it and never found a solution that worked for me. I did, however, easily resolve the problem, so I thought I would share.

Problem: When connecting the iPhone 5 to charge or sync via a lightning cable, I would have to push really hard and, only sometimes, would it stay connected. This caused me to deal with the occasional flat battery in the morning as well as issues connecting to my computer.

Solution: Take a paperclip and clean the built-up lint from inside where the cable connects on the iPhone. The lint appears to limit how far the lighting connector is inserted. Once clear, I had no more problems charging / connecting my phone.

Hopefully this helps someone :)

Three cables and two chargers later!!!!!!! I found your post. 5mins and one paperclip later I cured the problem just as you said. Thanks.

Joseph Ashby

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
So, after reading ALL of the responses I came up with my own solution that works. Try a bread twisty-tie tip to clean out the tiny slot! It works and doesn't hurt the device. Cleans out the lint. Problem Solved.

Gersprungled

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
UNBELIEVABLE

After 5 hours frustration.
This fix DOES work
On my tenth attempt with a bread tie something cleared and it is now charging.

This is a fix that works.

Such a stupid design flaw on this product

OkieTech

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Using a Toothpick and Toilet Tissue: Solved!

I suspected the lint problem after reviewing some of the initial posts here and used the toothpick/probe idea in combination with a few other techniques to solve the problem.

I hate canned air because it ends up blowing the detritus all over the place - even though with an iphone charging port that amount would no doubt be miniscule. I prefer vacuuming - that way it contains the dust. Using a toothpick I noted I did get quite a bit of black lint out of the port - but the lack of contact obviously still existed. Then I struck upon on idea. I used a small piece of toilet tissue jammed into the port to "grab" more of the lint. Toilet tissue has to have some abrasive qualities in order to... *ahem*... do it's designed job, right? I reasoned this might help clean out some of the lint in the nooks and crannies of the port. I originally wanted to try even moistening the TP a bit in order to do the job even more thoroughly? But I'm guessing getting the port wet to any extent wouldn't be a good idea. However, I do remember a nerd buddy of mine telling me that electronics are surprising resilient to moisture. He used the example of his parent's house being flooded and they set the TV out in the yard and sun to dry. When the cranked it up later? No issues. (I had a similar experience when I thought I'd ruined my desktop when I spilled grape juice on it and some leaked inside the case - while it was running no less! Was just waiting for it to start smoking but it didn't.) So a drop of water on the TP? Might not hurt and could help - but it brings up another issue - the TP falling apart in small pieces - but that could be solved by the vacuum - and dry the port in the process as well. (I'm on a poor teacher's salary so I'll let someone else here try frying their phone with wet TP to see if it works....:biggrin:)

Instead? I simply jammed the toilet paper piece dry tight into the port with a toothpick - making sure I left enough excess hanging outside the port so I could gently pull it out. First, attempt? I saw extra lint I hadn't got with the just the toothpick before. Rinse. Repeat. More lint and dirt. I then used my vacuum to suck out any lint or TP "hairs" that might have come loose during the process or that didn't adhere to the toilet paper. When I plugged the charger back in? Much improvement. I'm going to give the phone a good charge and try again to see if I get even more.

Last edited:

Jerry Ellis1

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Genius, that was the problem...I had tons of lint and dirt in the port and connector was not inserting all the way...I did use a toothpick that work great..
thank you soooo much of posting.....

Bryanl83

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much. I've been having troubles with my phone charging for weeks now and just today I got home and it wouldn't charge at all. After spending over 4 hours trying to fix it I came across this thread and tried cleaning out the port with a toothpick. Not a lot of lint but definitely enough to prevent the lightning adapter plugging in fully. Working perfectly now without having to wiggle or be held in a certain position

myurkus

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I just wanted to add my thanks! You may have saved me hundreds of dollars! (I am not up for renewal on my mobile contract; however, I need at least an iPhone 5 for work.)

A few more tips: I actually found this thread a couple weeks ago. At that time I took a normal-sized paperclip and dug-out a small amount of lint. After that, it somewhat worked. Specifically, it would take a lot of fiddling for it to start charging. Then I had to make sure not to touch it in fear of losing its tenuous connection. (Even any notification that made the phone vibrate would kill the delicate connection.)

Today, no fiddling at all made it work, my phone was looking at its last charge in life. :(

But I took another shot; this time instead of a paperclip, I found the absolute smallest thing I could. A tiny clothespin would do. Wearing a headlamp laying on my back (so I can view the inside of the socket and have gravity on my side to get the lint out.) I started carefully scraping...

...Wow, I could not believe how much lint was in there that even a normal paper-clip could not coax out! Sure enough, after making sure to remove everything, it now plugs in perfectly without any fiddling!

The trick seems to be a lot of patience, great lighting, and using gravity to one's advantage (i.e. to work laying down on your back looking up at the device.)

I think this is an issue with the design of the iPhone lightening cable itself. :devil:

Granted, I may have too much lint etc in my pocket, but I have not had a problem with any phone until this one. (Actually, the very first iPhone had a problem where lint could fill in the holes on the speaker-grate, so I could barely hear music or calls.) But I digress...

Thanks again so much for your help!
MikeY

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I use an Otterbox case that covers the ports. In 8 months, no problems. But I suspect there will be in time. I'll remember these suggestions.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I was having some charging issues lately - thought the lightning port on my 5 was worn out or damaged. Wiggling the connector would cause intermittent charging - it would lose contact and not charge if I bumped the connector just right.

So started searching for similar symptoms from others. Found this thread and bingo - extracted a CRAP load of lint from the lightning port - works perfectly again!

Elizabeth2

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I was having some charging issues lately - thought the lightning port on my 5 was worn out or damaged. Wiggling the connector would cause intermittent charging - it would lose contact and not charge if I bumped the connector just right.

So started searching for similar symptoms from others. Found this thread and bingo - extracted a CRAP load of lint from the lightning port - works perfectly again!

Haha you'd never think this would be the solution would ya! Pretty cool
Glad it worked for you!

Elizabeth2

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I have tried this and still my iphone 5c has not been charging !! HELP!?!?

Before you head off to an Apple store lets try a few more things.
Try using a different charging cord followed by trying a different outlet. Let us know your results.
Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Flopsy007

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Tons of dust poured out of my iPhone 5 lightning port

THANK YOU!

Used a toothpick and BEHOLD... tons of dust poured out of my iPhone 5 lightning port.

For several months I've been so annoyed about having to really work the connector in order for the phone to charge. Thought Apple had made a crappy port that wore out too quickly. Now I'm feeling very happy and somewhat stupid at the same time :biggrin:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal