Taking a trip with iPhone 5

icu8124us

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Here's my problem that I can't seem to figure out.

I sold all my windows machines except my laptop last year and upgraded to an iMac. I've been using my iMac to sync my photos and video, taken with the phone, with iPhoto on Mac. Its worked flawlessly and I certainly appreciate the ease of use.

This July I'm going on a missions trip across seas and will be vlogging using my iphone. The only portable computer I have is my windows 7 machine. It'll serve as a liaison between my digital camera, and iphone video transfers over to an external drive.

Since I have a 16gb iphone it looks like ill need to dump data daily at night at the hotel. My issue is when I try to sync it with iTunes on the windows machine it wants to erase the content and start fresh. I've tried testing it before time to go.

I'm trying to get some resolution for this before the trip because essentially what I want to do is move the video I take with my iphone over to my iMac when I get back for editing. I remember with windows it's a drop and drag deal but I'm having a time figuring out how to get the to work with OSX.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I hope all this makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

l.i bruce fan

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
There are some articles explaining photo and video sync with a Windows machine on Apple's support site, but I beleive the bottom line is iTunes does not really "sync" them, it moves and replaces entire folders. The way it described moving photos and videos on a windows machine (at least my understanding of it) was to use Windows own utility to import photos (which would be in the autoplay window that should pop up when you connect your iPhone to your computer. That will "import" the videos and photos, and give you the option of whether to delete them from your iPhone.

Try this for starters:

iOS: Importing personal photos and videos from iOS devices to your computer

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If you're simply using the Windows 7 machine to dump photos/videos daily...there's really no reason to use iTunes, just dump them to the computer directly or download any of the hundreds of free softwares out there that do the same.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Here's my problem that I can't seem to figure out.

I sold all my windows machines except my laptop last year and upgraded to an iMac. I've been using my iMac to sync my photos and video, taken with the phone, with iPhoto on Mac. Its worked flawlessly and I certainly appreciate the ease of use.

This July I'm going on a missions trip across seas and will be vlogging using my iphone. The only portable computer I have is my windows 7 machine. It'll serve as a liaison between my digital camera, and iphone video transfers over to an external drive.

Since I have a 16gb iphone it looks like ill need to dump data daily at night at the hotel. My issue is when I try to sync it with iTunes on the windows machine it wants to erase the content and start fresh. I've tried testing it before time to go.

I'm trying to get some resolution for this before the trip because essentially what I want to do is move the video I take with my iphone over to my iMac when I get back for editing. I remember with windows it's a drop and drag deal but I'm having a time figuring out how to get the to work with OSX.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I hope all this makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

The reason is by default your phone can only be synced with one library so when you hook it up to a different computer iTunes will then act as if it's a new setup. You could bring over your iTunes library file from your iMac and open it on your windows computer so it won't try to start it as new. But if you're only going to be using it temporarily for your trip, I wouldn't sync it with the windows machine. If you're only looking to transfer pictures and videos, you don't need iTunes. Just hook your phone up to the computer, go to my computer, right click on the iPhone and then export pictures/videos. Or as stated, you can also check out some of the free apps that will allow exporting from iPhone to the computer. But if you just want pics and vids, then exporting is easy enough done natively on the computer.

I will also say that if you are in the position to do so, then you may want to look into dropbox. You can upload your stuff there from your iPhone and set up the dropbox folders on both your computers and they will appear there once they've been uploaded. Just another way to keep you in sync OTA across platforms. Good luck.

icu8124us

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
If you're simply using the Windows 7 machine to dump photos/videos daily...there's really no reason to use iTunes, just dump them to the computer directly or download any of the hundreds of free softwares out there that do the same.

How can I dump them to the windows machine? I don't see a folder with the contents of the phone when plugged into the USB. What you said makes sense and I'd love to figure out this option to save it directly to the external drive. Thanks in advance and thank you to the other commenters. I certainly appreciate everyone's time.

icu8124us

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
The reason is by default your phone can only be synced with one library so when you hook it up to a different computer iTunes will then act as if it's a new setup. You could bring over your iTunes library file from your iMac and open it on your windows computer so it won't try to start it as new. But if you're only going to be using it temporarily for your trip, I wouldn't sync it with the windows machine. If you're only looking to transfer pictures and videos, you don't need iTunes. Just hook your phone up to the computer, go to my computer, right click on the iPhone and then export pictures/videos. Or as stated, you can also check out some of the free apps that will allow exporting from iPhone to the computer. But if you just want pics and vids, then exporting is easy enough done natively on the computer.

I will also say that if you are in the position to do so, then you may want to look into dropbox. You can upload your stuff there from your iPhone and set up the dropbox folders on both your computers and they will appear there once they've been uploaded. Just another way to keep you in sync OTA across platforms. Good luck.

Ok this helped me resolve my issue. Thank you so very much!!!

iphone551

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
You are having windows machine along with you just transfer all the data to it.You should sync your itunes with iMac so that set up remains the same and there is no problem ahead.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234