Downgrade from ios7 beta

Stefkat

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
So my boyfriend and I tried to upgrade to ios7 beta (we are NOT developers). The upgrade instructions we used didn't work. We were able to successfully downgrade my iphone 4, but his iphone 5 has proved tricky. We realized our original mistake, when we upgraded, we hit restore and chose the file, instead of update, and chose the file. Now we cant downgrade the iphone 5 no matter what we try. We went as far as to go into drivers and manually change the text in the "hosts" file. No luck.

He's very upset, and pretty much thinks his phone is a paperweight now. Please help!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
So my boyfriend and I tried to upgrade to ios7 beta (we are NOT developers). The upgrade instructions we used didn't work. We were able to successfully downgrade my iphone 4, but his iphone 5 has proved tricky. We realized our original mistake, when we upgraded, we hit restore and chose the file, instead of update, and chose the file. Now we cant downgrade the iphone 5 no matter what we try. We went as far as to go into drivers and manually change the text in the "hosts" file. No luck.

He's very upset, and pretty much thinks his phone is a paperweight now. Please help!

You need to put his phone in DFU mode (LINK to instructions) and then restore the phone as new... then restore from backup (You DO have a backup, right?)

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
yea DFU back to 6.1.4. and also, remember you cant restore an ios7 back up to ios 6. so you will have to use an older backup through icloud or one that you may have on the computer. if not, you will have to set it all up as new.

word to the wise, if youre not devs or 100% familiar with the processes needed to restore, dont be messing with beta OS's

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
word to the wise, if youre not devs or 100% familiar with the processes needed to restore, dont be messing with beta OS's

This.

No offense to the OP, but this is why this is stressed so much in the iOS 7 sub-forum. Has nothing to do with an elitist attitude or people trying to be high and mighty, it has to do with bricking the iPhone delving into something you shouldn't have for a hundred different reasons. In the end, if you don't have a developer account of your own, wait until the official release...otherwise, you COULD end up in the same boat.

Chris Kerrigan

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Considering doing this myself (don't have a developer account), but ultimately decided against it for reasons exactly like this. I can wait.

Hopefully you can get it working again, good luck!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2