General app and operation questions

Floridadomer

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
As many people new to IOS, I am coming from Android. I purchased an iPad a couple of months ago and got Apple TV. All of my kids have iPhones and so I reluctantly decided to try an iphone also. My thought process was it would be nice to use iTunes for all devices. I know that both fanboys on both sides love to trash each other. I will admit I love my Galaxy S3 but really want to try to learn to at least enjoy having an iphone.
I have had the phone for two days now and have spent some time trying to research my questions but need some help on a few things please.
1.) I have looked up a few apps for making an icon on my home screen that will direct dial a contact. I tried a couple of free ones but both of them actually open up Safari for a brief moment. Does anyone know of an app that just opens the dialer directly and dials? I don’t mind paying for apps if they work, which brings me to my next 2 questions….
2.) In the Android Market, you have a 15 minute window to refund the app, is this possible in iTunes?
3.) Is there a way in iTunes to organize the search results in the app store by ratings, most popular, price, etc?
4.) I can’t find a profile app for the iphone. I had one that would allow me to set up profile like Work, Home, Car, etc. Within these profiles I could choose to turn off wifi, BT, data, and choose Vibration or how loud notifications, ringtone etc would be. Please tell me there is an app like this for the iphone. I tried searching in iTunes but found nothing. I am hoping I just didn’t use the correct search.
5.) iMessaging……if I understand this correctly, this uses data when sending to another iphone. Is it using data when sending to a non iphone user?
6.) Is there a way to snooze a calendar reminder?
7.) Is there a way to get the native email app to retrieve my Gmail as soon as it arrives? The Gmail app does this but I don’t like it because it is clumsy when you have 2 accounts set up.
Thank you for in advance for everyone’s time and Help
GOIRISH!!!!

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
As many people new to IOS, I am coming from Android. I purchased an iPad a couple of months ago and got Apple TV. All of my kids have phones and so I reluctantly decided to try an iphone also. My thought process was it would be nice to use iTunes for all devices. I know that both fanboys on both sides love to trash each other. I will admit I love my Galaxy S3 but really want to try to learn to at least enjoy having an iphone.
I have had the phone for two days now and have spent some time trying to research my questions but need some help on a few things please.

1. I have looked up a few apps for making an icon on my home screen that will direct dial a contact. I tried a couple of free ones but both of them actually open up Safari for a brief moment. Does anyone know of an app that just opens the dialer directly and dials? I don’t mind paying for apps if they work, which brings me to my next 2 questions….
    Not natively... the easiest is to simply set up often called people as Favorites. Or live with the Rube Goldberg approach.

2. In the Android Market, you have a 15 minute window to refund the app, is this possible in iTunes?
    Nope. Once you buy it, you own it.

3. Is there a way in iTunes to organize the search results in the app store by ratings, most popular, price, etc?
    The only options you get are the single drop down that lets you pick from Name, Release Date and Featured.

4. I can’t find a profile app for the iphone. I had one that would allow me to set up profile like Work, Home, Car, etc. Within these profiles I could choose to turn off wifi, BT, data, and choose Vibration or how loud notifications, ringtone etc would be. Please tell me there is an app like this for the iphone. I tried searching in iTunes but found nothing. I am hoping I just didn’t use the correct search.
    Not without jailbreaking.

5. iMessaging……if I understand this correctly, this uses data when sending to another iphone. Is it using data when sending to a non iphone user?
    iMessage uses data to sent messages/pix/etc from iOS device to iOS device (and Macs with Message enabled). Otherwise, it uses text (SMS/MMS) messaging.

6. Is there a way to snooze a calendar reminder?
    Not natively. Perhaps there’s a jailbreak solution.

7. Is there a way to get the native email app to retrieve my Gmail as soon as it arrives? The Gmail app does this but I don’t like it because it is clumsy when you have 2 accounts set up.
    Not any more, since Google squashed the Exchange option for Gmail.

Thank you for in advance for everyone’s time and Help
GOIRISH!!!!

Floridadomer

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
No, I really want to like this. It would be easier than having different docking stations, plugs, two different markets, be able to use apple tv on both my phone and tablet, etc. The lack of customization on my iPad hasn't bothered me a bit. I am finding though what I would consider "basic" functions that I should be able to do on a smartphone, I can't do with this iPhone unless I jailbrake it. I am telling myself that millions of people LOVE this phone and I just have to adjust.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No, I really want to like this. It would be easier than having different docking stations, plugs, two different markets, be able to use apple tv on both my phone and tablet, etc. The lack of customization on my iPad hasn't bothered me a bit. I am finding though what I would consider "basic" functions that I should be able to do on a smartphone, I can't do with this iPhone unless I jailbrake it. I am telling myself that millions of people LOVE this phone and I just have to adjust.

The iPhone isn't for everyone and maybe you are merely finding that it is not for you. There is nothing wrong with that. As for basic functions, well, it can be argued that making & receiving calls, text messages, emails as well as have a calendar, a reminder feature and an alarm clock are the core basic functions of a smartphone. Anything else can arguably be considered a special function. Anyway, you're doing yourself a disservice by pretending to like a device simply because millions of other do so do yourself a favor and purchase the smartphone that suits YOU. No one going to hate you for it or even care. It's your money.

Last edited:

Floridadomer

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
The iPhone isn't for everyone and maybe you are merely finding that it is not for you. There is nothing with that. As for basic functions, well, it can be argued that making & receiving calls, text messages, emails as well as have a calendar, a reminder feature and an alarm clock are the core basic functions of a smartphone. Anything else can arguably be considered a special function. Anyway, you're doing yourself a disservice by pretending to like a device simply because millions of other do so do yourself a favor and purchase the smartphone that suits YOU. No one going to hate you for it or even care. It's your money.

Spoken like a true Cane. No reason to get Pissy. I knew that I would get attitude from someone, no matter how nice I tried to be or how careful I wrote my words.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

It doesn't really seem like you really want to like it to be honest. You keep finding things it can't do and you post about it asking if it can. No offense, and it could just be completely coincidental, but it seems your history thus far has left you with a phone that doesn't do what you want it to on a basic level and you don't care to use iTunes to control it.

Just to put it out there, and not to try and start an argument or anything, but these "basic" functions you said you "should" be able to do on a smart phone seem to be more of the same stuff we see often where someone goes "I can do this on such and such phone, why can't i do it on the iPhone?", and the answer is simple, there is no perfect smart phone...we can go across the spectrum and find things each device can and can't do, but doing this pretty much destroys the "enjoyment" of the device.

Now i know a person has to always feel out a new phone when they get it, but you seem to have locked in on all the things the iPhone can't do for you and the fact that iTunes doesn't thrill you...not a promising start I'm afraid, but good luck with it!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Spoken like a true Cane. No reason to get Pissy. I knew that I would get attitude from someone, no matter how nice I tried to be or how careful I wrote my words.

Floridadomer, my reply to your above post was in no way "pissy". I thought I was actually being polite and to the point. The iPhone isn't for everyone and no one should try to like it simply because many others do. Surely, you can agree with that. If you find that it is not for you, buy something else that suits you. What part of what I typed is pissy, disrespectful or incorrect?

Floridadomer

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Actually, I am getting used to itunes. It just took me awhile to get it. I am getting frustrated because I am just trying to figure this phone out. I was hoping to be able to communicate my questions, thoughts and opinions without sounding like an Android Fanboy. Sometimes I just suck at communicating.

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site
The iPhone isn't for everyone and maybe you are merely finding that it is not for you. There is nothing with that. As for basic functions, well, it can be argued that making & receiving calls, text messages, emails as well as have a calendar, a reminder feature and an alarm clock are the core basic functions of a smartphone. Anything else can arguably be considered a special function. Anyway, you're doing yourself a disservice by pretending to like a device simply because millions of other do so do yourself a favor and purchase the smartphone that suits YOU. No one going to hate you for it or even care. It's your money.

1) You can try a paid app called launch-center pro; which lets you create shortcuts to actions and apps. This will allow you to dial select numbers in 2 taps (1 to launch the app, another to select the number to dial). Alternatively, play around with siri?

2) No.

3) No idea.

4) Not possible. However, IOS is, by its very nature, more power efficient than Android. What you can try is to simply leave your wifi and bluetooth on and not bother over managing them.

5) To a phone not using imessage, your imessage will simply be sent as a normal sms.

6) No idea.

7) You can try the mailbox app. Like gmail, but has a unified inbox, offers more options for opening attachments, and has some cool swipe features for managing your mail.

The iphone is there for people who want to just 'use' their smartphone and not need to manage / fiddle with settings. I can see how the lack of certain features may annoy some users, but my advice would be to simply enjoy the iphone for what it is. :)

Floridadomer

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Floridadomer, my reply to your above post was in no way "pissy". I thought I was actually being polite and to the point. The iPhone isn't for everyone and no one should try to like it simply because many others do. Surely, you can agree with that. If you find that it is not for you, buy something else that suits you. What part of what I typed is pissy, disrespectful or incorrect?

I am just frustrated, sorry. I will continue to search using Google instead of using the forums. The "NO ONE CARES" part sounded that way to me but again, I am tired and frustrated.
Thanks for your help and have a good night.
P.S. I think your new couch will get things turned around! I live in Tallahassee and love it when you kick the Noles butts!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
1) You can try a paid app called launch-center pro; which lets you create shortcuts to actions and apps. This will allow you to dial select numbers in 2 taps (1 to launch the app, another to select the number to dial). Alternatively, play around with siri?

2) No.

3) No idea.

4) Not possible. However, IOS is, by its very nature, more power efficient than Android. What you can try is to simply leave your wifi and bluetooth on and not bother over managing them.

5) To a phone not using imessage, your imessage will simply be sent as a normal sms.

6) No idea.

7) You can try the mailbox app. Like gmail, but has a unified inbox, offers more options for opening attachments, and has some cool swipe features for managing your mail.

The iphone is there for people who want to just 'use' their smartphone and not need to manage / fiddle with settings. I can see how the lack of certain features may annoy some users, but my advice would be to simply enjoy the iphone for what it is. :)

You referenced a comment of mine and then posted the above reply. All I can say is this: your reply left me at a loss for words...:)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am just frustrated, sorry. I will continue to search using Google instead of using the forums. The "NO ONE CARES" part sounded that way to me but again, I am tired and frustrated.
Thanks for your help and have a good night.
P.S. I think your new couch will get things turned around! I live in Tallahassee and love it when you kick the Noles butts!

No harm done...:)....besides, we all get frustrated on occasions, right? As for your search, use both Google and the forums. Both will give you mixed results...:)....and as for our new coach, I agree. I think he is indeed the guy to take The U to back to prominence. Anyway, take care and have a great night.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
As many people new to IOS, I am coming from Android. I purchased an iPad a couple of months ago and got Apple TV. All of my kids have iPhones and so I reluctantly decided to try an iphone also. My thought process was it would be nice to use iTunes for all devices. I know that both fanboys on both sides love to trash each other. I will admit I love my Galaxy S3 but really want to try to learn to at least enjoy having an iphone.

7.)Is there a way to get the native email app to retrieve my Gmail as soon as it arrives? The Gmail app does this but I don?t like it because it is clumsy when you have 2 accounts set up.
Thank you for in advance for everyone?s time and Help

GOIRISH!!!!

Did you set up an iCloud email? I have my apple id then my iCloud email which I use to have my gmail forwarded to. So what you want to do is to go into settings>iCloud>Account scroll to advanced and you should see an email address there.

6urahy8y.jpg

Now you if you don't see one its easy to set up then once you have your iCloud email address go to your gmail inbox and settings then have all your emails forwarded to the iCloud address and you get your push email. I get all my email as soon as it comes this way using the Mail app I was using the gmail app but wanted to go stock.

Hope this helps :).

Sent from the collector home world.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2