New to iPhone, Some questions

ScottsoNJ

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Longtime android user here. Decided to try out the iPhone 5. I have no loyalty to any one company. I have and use and iPad and iPod's but have always used android phones. Go figure. In the last 6 months I have used in order Nexus 4 ( great phone but fragile and not a great camera) HTC One ( great phone but wasn't crazy about some of the shortcomings) and a Galaxy S3 ( good phone,overheats,restarts)
So 3 days in on the iPhone. What I like. Very simple,great camera,seamless integration,easy to hold and use. What I don't like that I have to adjust to. No notification light (why?) No app to blacklist calls,no app to get ringtones( already made like Zedge) I could use all the tips everyone could offer. Thanks

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: New to iPhone

Re: no notification light... we've had many a heated discussion on that in the past... feel free to search the forum for "LED"... I'm with you on the blacklist app... but until there is one, my workaround is an entry in my address book named "Ima Dumbass" - and in it is a collection of numbers that are my "blacklist"... the entry is set to not ring or vibrate... so all that happens when one of them calls is a missed call that's easy to dismiss... and ringtones are so easy once you know the process to make & sync them, you'll find that no app is needed.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to iMore, ScottsoNJ, and thank you for choosing to be a part of this community. Feel free to ask questions, offer assistance as well as share your thoughts and opinions so dive in to any thread that interests you. Also, take a moment to familiarize yourself with the http://forums.mobilenations.com/rules-policies/500-community-rules-guidelines.htmlhttp://forums.mobilenations.com/rules-policies/500-community-rules-guidelines.htmlCommunity Rules & Guidelines. Take care and enjoy your time here at iMore....:)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

First tip would be to vigorously search the forum...we have covered pretty much every question you could have from A to Z.

Notification light, as I have observed from our community at least (and is also my personal opinion), is a redundant and useless item that serves only to throw off the great design features of the iPhone. If they figured out a way to hide it behind the glass panel on the front of the device, I would have no problem with it being there (but still wouldn't use it most likely), but would not want a thicker chassis because of it.

Getting ringtones is an easy and cheap process when it comes to the iPhone. I think the biggest issue most people have is that they want to do it ON the phone itself, but it's just not going to happen, at least not yet anyways...but if the few seconds of effort it takes to make a ringtone of your choice out of any music in your iTunes library is too much for someone, I don't even know where to begin besides laughing.

As far as the "Blacklist" app not being available, that's not 100% accurate. In native form you are right, the only option you really have is to create a group in your contacts that you can call "Blacklist" and then assigning them a muted ring tone. However...with a simple jailbreak you can use apps like "iBlacklist" to gain the feature you are wanting (if you want info on jailbreaking, we have a sub-forum dedicated specifically to such).

...hopefully you'll find the more stable operating system a welcome change from what you've been used to. If there's a bit of advice I can give you that might make your transition to the iPhone (and your life here on iMore) easier, it would be to kind of let go of the idea of the "perfect, all encompassing" device. It doesn't exist. All of the smartphones in the world bring some things to the table on both sides of the good/bad fence, and allowing yourself to enjoy what that phone offers instead of using it and wishing it did what "such and such" phone does better, will make your life so much easier, lol!

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

Re: no notification light... we've had many a heated discussion on that in the past... feel free to search the forum for "LED"... I'm with you on the blacklist app... but until there is one, my workaround is an entry in my address book named "Ima Dumbass" - and in it is a collection of numbers that are my "blacklist"... the entry is set to not ring or vibrate... so all that happens when one of them calls is a missed call that's easy to dismiss... and ringtones are so easy once you know the process to make & sync them, you'll find that no app is needed.

I wish there was a blacklist app also. I like your workaround for an app, but I don't have an option to set the ringtone to none.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

I wish there was a blacklist app also. I like your workaround for an app, but I don't have an option to set the ringtone to none.

​Ooops... forgot to note - I have a silent ringtone - and assigned that to "Ima". :)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

​Ooops... forgot to note - I have a silent ringtone - and assigned that to "Ima". :)

lol...our precinct Lt. has an "LMA" sign that he occasionally places on his door. We tend to allow rookies and other precinct officers to find out what that means by knocking on his door when it's up. Lulz ensue.

ScottsoNJ

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site

Oh I know their is no "perfect phone" GOD only knows I've looked? Have to do some serious reading. Don't think I can jailbreak this iPhone 5. 6.1.4. So have to have to have patience and can't get frustrated trying to learn a whole new operating system.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

Hey ScottsoNJ
Didn't think I'd be seeing ya on this side of the fence! Nice to have ya aboard!!

After using Android for years as well then coming back to iPhone I thought I would miss the notification light as well but I haven't at all compared to all the crappily designed Android phones, the HTC phones usually being the exception, I wouldn't want one unless like Sean said they could incorporate it seamlessly without compromising the design aesthetic.

As for the ringtones it's pretty easy to get free ones there's just the one extra step of having to sync through iTunes. On stock I got mine from Zedge's website then added them to my tones in iTunes and synced em up so since you can't jailbreak the iPhone you got :( I would go this route.

Sent from the collector home world.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

I saw Sean mention making a group in the Contacts app. I don't sync with Outlook contacts so I can't
make a group. Unless I'm really missing something. I backup contacts on iCloud. Anyway, can one
entry in the Contacts app have an unlimited amount of numbers? Or is there a limit?

wendybeee

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

Omgosh Keith what a wonderful idea !!! I'm going to set up Ima Dumbass right now and save myself some grief...Thank You :biggrin:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site

OP welcome 😄 If you want ringtones head to audiko.net on your computer. At the top is a search bar, click the button to the right so it says Audiko Search instead of Google search. Then search for whatever you want they have pretty much everything. When you find what you want click the download iPhone ringtone and it will download it to your ringtones. When you're done looking click My Ringtones on the top right and download them all to your computer. Then double click each one to add it to iTunes then sync them to the iPhone :D

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

Omgosh Keith what a wonderful idea !!! I'm going to set up Ima Dumbass right now and save myself some grief...Thank You :biggrin:
It works OK for me... the only thing I still miss in not having a jailbreak is iBlacklist... "Ima" is a work-around... :)

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

The issue I have with this is the call can still go to voicemail. I'd like to have an actual call blocking app.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

The issue I have with this is the call can still go to voicemail. I'd like to have an actual call blocking app.
It's not perfect... I simply delete the voicemail without listening to it... which is just as easy as dismissing the missed call...

ScottsoNJ

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site

Well regrettably I had to go back to the S3. I am using a Straight Talk At&t sim card and for the life of me I can not get the right APN settings to get everything to work. I used a t-mobile sim swap, I used Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone to set it automatically and still no mms and data that is sooooooo slow. I am paid up till 8/20 so until it runs out I will stick with the S3 and then maybe go back to regular At&t. I pay $38.00 a month for unlimited everything so it's kind of hard to give that up

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Airwaysoffices