Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

Question Sync new iPhone to existing iTunes account

I am planning to pick up a new iPhone 5 this weekend. This will be my first iPhone, so sorry about newbie question.

I currently have an iPod Touch set up with iTunes. I would like to sync apps, calendar, contacts to my new phone. I also have music on my iTunes on the computer, but don't want to sync all of my songs to my new phone.

What is the best way to do this? I've been reading and not sure when I set up my iPhone, should I set it up as a new phone? I'm not sure if I set it up to restore from iTunes if it'll sync everything I have on there for my iPod onto my phone (which I don't want to do).

Thanks for your help to a newbie.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,248 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8.1

Default Re: Sync new iPhone to existing iTunes account

You can set it up as new. Once you are done just sync everything you have in your iTunes library to the new phone. Make sure you are using the same iTunes/Apple ID to do this.
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

Thanked by:
    Par_T (06-05-2013)
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by Par_T View Post
    I am planning to pick up a new iPhone 5 this weekend. This will be my first iPhone, so sorry about newbie question.

I currently have an iPod Touch set up with iTunes. I would like to sync apps, calendar, contacts to my new phone. I also have music on my iTunes on the computer, but don't want to sync all of my songs to my new phone.

What is the best way to do this? I've been reading and not sure when I set up my iPhone, should I set it up as a new phone? I'm not sure if I set it up to restore from iTunes if it'll sync everything I have on there for my iPod onto my phone (which I don't want to do).

Thanks for your help to a newbie.
    Set it up as a "new phone"... then connect it to your computer and sync the stuff you want there... iTunes will recognize it as a different device, and you will be able to continue syncing both your iPhone and your iPod Touch (and any future iPads or other devices) with iTunes independent of any settings for the other devices... It’s Apple.. it just works.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    Thanked by:
    Par_T (06-05-2013)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,884 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Good choice on the iPhone 5 like these guys said set it up as new. On a side note you should definately setup iCloud on your Touch and the iPhone. The best thing about it is the next time you get an iPhone all you have to do is sign in to iCloud and restore from iCloud backups which will bring in all your apps, settings, etc. Also when you change contacts on one device it will chang on the other making less work for you.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
    Thanked by:
    Par_T (06-05-2013)