Should I buy the iphone 5 or a BB Q10?

iPerry7

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Hello people,
this is my first post here so, apologies if I am breaking any rules :) I am currently a galaxy S2 user. I guess you could call me a fairly advanced android user since I have my phone rooted and have flashed more than my fair share of custom roms/kernels etc to the point where I am sick of the whole thing. I was previously considering the S4 but when I tried out the device in a store it was laggy, opening the camera app caused the phone to reboot, the device was impossible to use with one hand. Basically, I feel that it is just an S2 with a better/larger screen and a few more bells and whistles. I have average battery life on my S2. So S4 is out of the question. Q10 on the other hand interests me because of the sturdy build and the great keyboard. I have a few reservations about the OS though.
I have used the iphone 5 in the store and its speed amazed me. I am hoping that battery life is good too. I dont have the option of getting the iphone on contract. I will have to pay the full price. So I need help in deciding. Would the iphone 5 be a better buy than Q10? And should i buy the iphone 5 or wait for the next iphone?
As you guys can see, I am a mass of confusions at this point ;) Please help guys.
BTW, I need a phone which can perform reliably on a day to day basis, have good battery life, good call quality, good keyboard and great build quality...

Thank you :)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
iPhone.

UmpOi.gif

iPerry7

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

Thank you, but would you care to comment on whether it should be an iphone 5 or the next version? I knew the answers i would get on this forums but maybe i just needed to hear that from someone else :) Seriously though, how long can I expect to use the iphone 5 with regular updates? If the next iphone comes out in September will the iphone 5 be obsolete? I think many users still use the 4s...Do all games/apps work on all ios versions? Sorry too many boring questions but i am a total iphone noob ....

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I am indifferent to what phone you should get, particularly because I don't know what you consider good battery life, good keyboard, etc. But I will offer this food for thought. Remember that when you are playing with a phone in a store, it is not optimized for its top performance. That S4 almost definitely did not have its multiple animations set to zero, several of the gimmicky features turned off, was running the stock launcher, etc. It also has likely been handled and messed with by thousands of hands before yours. So don't always write a phone off based on what you experienced in the store. (I thought the S4 was super laggy in the store. But, I upgraded to it to try it out, did the things I mentioned above, and it turned out to be one of the snappiest phones I have used. Battery life was superb. I'll keep my 5 though and likely pursue the 5S/6 but that's just me)

I am not sure if you are in an upgrade position with your carrier, but assuming you are, and that you have a US carrier like Verizon, Sprint, or AT&T....why don't you go upgrade to the phone you are most interested in at Best Buy. You will have 14 days to mess with it and a one time opportunity to return within the 14 days without having to pay a re-stock fee. If this scenario does not fit yours, then I would suggest the iphone. I'm biased but that should be clear. IOS 7 should be unveiled June 10th so in a week you will know what that will bring to the table.

brooklyndon2911

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I would go with the iPhone bc of the ecosystem. If bbm is key for you. Just know bbm will be making its way to iOS and android this summer. To the z10 is the perfect size. I think the iPhone should be that size buts that just opinion.

EricandSuebee

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I see it this way, Blackberry was a big name, they are trying to re-invent themselves with the BB10, but I see it this way, they lost so much ground in the last couple years, do you want to have a phone & company that may or may not be around in a year or so? Or do you want to have a phone and a community that is going to be around years from now with apps from numerous categories?

iPerry7

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Actually, I don't have the option to try out a phone for a set period of time. As i said, I have to pay the full price and once i buy it there is no going back for at least a couple of years. The s4 is pretty much out of the running for me not only because of the issues i mentioned but also because I would like to experience something different, having been on android already. Plus when i turn off all the features of S4 its just an S2. I have never had an ios device. The only Apple device I own is an iPod nano 3rd generation :)

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
coming from webOS and all the tweaking I did on my pre2 I find it relaxing how bulletproof the iphone5 works

you can't kill it.....no noticeable bugs works the way it should work apps download and work with no dev support. Don't get me wrong I love to tinker with my webOS but its refreshing to have a smartphone appliance as your daily driver and the iphone5 is it

Tilman Mueller

May 28, 2013
Visit site
At first I would ask myself, on 'how' you gonna use your new phone.
If it's for media consumption, the Apple environment is at the moment prime meat. For texting and social networks, I would go with the BlackBerry.

Basically you have free choice, because as an former Android user you are probably aren't that heavily tied in with the Apple iCloud ;)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Thank you, but would you care to comment on whether it should be an iphone 5 or the next version? I knew the answers i would get on this forums but maybe i just needed to hear that from someone else :) Seriously though, how long can I expect to use the iphone 5 with regular updates? If the next iphone comes out in September will the iphone 5 be obsolete? I think many users still use the 4s...Do all games/apps work on all ios versions? Sorry too many boring questions but i am a total iphone noob ....

Would i care to comment if you should wait for the new one to come out? Not really...i don't know when it will come out and my preferences/needs may not be the same as yours.

The iPhone 5 won't be obsolete for a few years. Full iOS updates can be expected for about as long. Games work up until the graphics capabilities of the phone have been exceeded so you still probably have about 2-3 years of solid support from the iPhone 5.

FYI...all of these answers can be found by either simply searching the forum or doing a quick google search, just for future reference.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

The iPhone 5 will not be obsolete in the foreseeable future. The iPhone 4 is still pretty much fully functional, and it’s going on 3 years old. The newest iPhone model will always be the best choice in terms of future-proofing, and as the technology ages, Apple closes off the cutting edge features on models as they age. But the phone itself is still fully functional. Heck, even the 4 year old 3GS still makes calls and handles basic smartphone functions and it’s 4 years old...

Typically, whether or not apps and games "work" is determined by the version of IOS that they require. Apple will eventually stop updating the iOS version for phones as they age - or severely cripple the functionality of features in a specific iOS. But if you are planning to keep your next purchase for a couple of years, you should be fine... and you should be able to get it at a decent discount after the new model comes out... or pay the current $199/299/399 for the newest versions with future-proofing built in.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I don't have the option to try out a phone for a set period of time. As i said, I have to pay the full price and once i buy it there is no going back for at least a couple of years. The s4 is pretty much out of the running for me not only because of the issues i mentioned but also because I would like to experience something different, having been on android already. Plus when i turn off all the features of S4 its just an S2. I have never had an ios device. The only Apple device I own is an iPod nano 3rd generation :)

The iPhone 5 will not be obsolete in the foreseeable future. The iPhone 4 is still pretty much fully functional, and it?s going on 3 years old. The newest iPhone model will always be the best choice in terms of future-proofing, and as the technology ages, Apple closes off the cutting edge features on models as they age. But the phone itself is still fully functional. Heck, even the 4 year old 3GS still makes calls and handles basic smartphone functions and it?s 4 years old...

Typically, whether or not apps and games "work" is determined by the version of IOS that they require. Apple will eventually stop updating the iOS version for phones as they age - or severely cripple the functionality of features in a specific iOS. But if you are planning to keep your next purchase for a couple of years, you should be fine... and you should be able to get it at a decent discount after the new model comes out... or pay the current $199/299/399 for the newest versions with future-proofing built in.

Agree with Fausty 100% It's amazing that Apple still supported the 3GS with iOS 6 and think about how many android phones come out and don't even get supported. So if you buy the iPhone 5 you can rest assure that you will see up to iOS 8 or even 9 on that device. But since we're so close to the 5S announcement I might hold out for that.

Sent from the collector home world.

that_maynard

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
very true, swarlos, my wife has the S2 and looking at the OS compaired to my SG3, looks and feels old. With iOS, they have continued to update their older devices. thank you apple.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal