Should I buy the iphone 5 or a BB Q10?

iVazz

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Go with the iPhone 5 IMO. It will outlast the S4 and the z10 from Blackberry by far. Plus, there will be another jailbreak to come in the future if you wish to tweak the iPhone. Better bang for the buck really.

Sent from the dark recesses of my mind using Tapatalk 2

iPerry7

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for taking the time out to reply . Based on what Finn said, I think I ll give S4 another try but I like the iphone 5 better :) Honestly, I dont understand the fan wars between ios and android fans. I am open to both platforms. Just a question of what suits me better, I think.. The Q10 is basically a qwerty messenger and not very good at handling videos and graphics intensive games so I ain't sure about it anymore having just read the review on Gsmarena. Maybe I should change the thread title to S4 vs Iphone instead ;) :)

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for taking the time out to reply . Based on what Finn said, I think I ll give S4 another try but I like the iphone 5 better :) Honestly, I dont understand the fan wars between ios and android fans. I am open to both platforms. Just a question of what suits me better, I think.. The Q10 is basically a qwerty messenger and not very good at handling videos and graphics intensive games so I ain't sure about it anymore having just read the review on Gsmarena. Maybe I should change the thread title to S4 vs Iphone instead ;) :)

Why the S4 ? Why not the HTC One ? Why the Q10 ? Why not the Z10 ?

If I was in your shoes, I would wait another week and see if Apple announces anything and then make my decision. But don't write off the One and the 10.

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
My thoughts are: wait to see what Apple announces in a few weeks, then decide. I also would consider the Z10 because I checked it out myself and if the software was there it would be a choice for me. The Q10 is really the older BB's with new inner-workings including OS, while the Z10 is the overhaul that people have been waiting for. I am also open to all platforms myself.

Nevs4Nokia

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Hello people,
this is my first post here so, apologies if I am breaking any rules :) I am currently a galaxy S2 user. I guess you could call me a fairly advanced android user since I have my phone rooted and have flashed more than my fair share of custom roms/kernels etc to the point where I am sick of the whole thing. I was previously considering the S4 but when I tried out the device in a store it was laggy, opening the camera app caused the phone to reboot, the device was impossible to use with one hand. Basically, I feel that it is just an S2 with a better/larger screen and a few more bells and whistles. I have average battery life on my S2. So S4 is out of the question. Q10 on the other hand interests me because of the sturdy build and the great keyboard. I have a few reservations about the OS though.
I have used the iphone 5 in the store and its speed amazed me. I am hoping that battery life is good too. I dont have the option of getting the iphone on contract. I will have to pay the full price. So I need help in deciding. Would the iphone 5 be a better buy than Q10? And should i buy the iphone 5 or wait for the next iphone?
As you guys can see, I am a mass of confusions at this point ;) Please help guys.
BTW, I need a phone which can perform reliably on a day to day basis, have good battery life, good call quality, good keyboard and great build quality...

Thank you :)

I was in a simlar boat coming from my S3 (considered Iphone 5, Z10, and the S4) -- Decided on neither as you can tell my name. I tried out windows phone and fell in love. Nokia 928 for Verizon!!

Of course this is all a matter of personal choice and is dependent on how one makes use of his/her device. I found that Windows was a happy medium between Android Customization and Apple fluidity.
Give windows a Shot.

As for your original question if I had to choose between the two --- I would go with the Iphone; I found the BB10 experience different, but lacking in many areas (not just the apps). It all seemed dry.

Again I suggest giving Windows a try - I ignored them originally but found out it fits "ME" perfectly.

jefftam68

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Why are you comparing the Q10 with the iP5? You should go with the Z10 if you want a full touch screen. Also your comment about the Q10 not handling video very well is not true. The screen has a higher pixel density and the OS is lighter and faster. BB10 has the fastest browser out there. Also the comment about BB10 being 'dry' compared to iP5 - not sure what 'dry' means. Especially compared to iOS. iOS is a very simple system and is the definition of 'easy to use' and 'dry'. For someone that is used to rooting your Android, you'll find the restrictions that iOS put on you to be infuriating. You'll have that baby jailbroken in a few days.

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
it all depends on how you want to use your phone.. like iphone i think its more good for games and entertainment and the quality on the phone is top.. and blackberry q10 is more if u like to txt and email alot.. it does have some games and apps but not as much as the iphones does.. i have an iphone 5 and my sister have a q10 and i like the q10 form factor and how it have a keyboard and stuff but its just not for me right now... but which ever device u decide to get i hope you enjoy it

jefftam68

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, Sean. I didn't mean to express any pro-BB thoughts in an intelligent conversation about the difference between the phones. I'll keep my mouth shut next time. Maybe I'll go browse BGR and talk to some intelligent people over there. ;-)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, Sean. I didn't mean to express any pro-BB thoughts in an intelligent conversation about the difference between the phones. I'll keep my mouth shut next time. Maybe I'll go browse BGR and talk to some intelligent people over there. ;-)

Or perhaps you could approach a discussion with one of iMore's members without the "My opinion is holier than yours" kind of attitude...which is why i retorted to you in the way i did. The guy was asking about two specific phones...nobody needed your opinion about how drab iOS is to you, it wasn't the subject of the discussion, and you added it because you prefer a different phone.

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
As much as I like iOS, WP8, and Android (yes, I like all 3 for different reasons) I have to say that between the S4 and Iphone 5, the S4 will not be relevant in the next 6-12 months as is typical Android style, something bigger and better (spec-wise) will be out or announced by then. Android device relevance shelf-life is.....well, short.

With the iphone 5, at least, even with the next gen around the corner, you are still pretty guaranteed support and relevance from Apple for the next 2-3 years.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
At this point I would just wait to see what the next iPhone is.. And make your decision then.. iPhones are great and have tons of apps if you do a q10 your buying it for messaging mainly because it lacks apps.. You need to figure what you do most and make a decision

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

RicanMedic78

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Iphone does messaging well but may be beat by the Q. The Q cannot do realistic media and lacks the apps. So in the end, i think iphone is more well rounded.

Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
My goodness. If you're deciding only between the iPhone 5 and
a Blackberry 10 device, how are you not gonna go with the iPhone 5?
BB 10 still lacks apps that haven't been developed for it. All depends
on what you're using your phone for, of course. Personally, I ain't trying
to jump through ropes to side load apps like Instagram or OpenTable
from Android. Basic f'n apps.

iPerry7

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Waiting for the 5s would be difficult for me because I am sick of my S2. I am a busy person ( like all of you) and I need my phone to atleast last till midnight when I can plug it in. With the S2, despite having rooted it, removing all of the bloatware, using it on the power saving mode, turning the brightness down to absolute minimum, using a black wallpaper, turning off GPS, Wifi, Bluetooth and Location Services, I still have difficulty making it last on till I reach home and this despite not listening to music at all on my phone. By the time evening rolls in, I have to pretty much turn it into a dumbphone to make it last. Being a daily commuter it would be nice to listen to music on my phone itself and not having to carry an ipod for that purpose and still have juice to last the day. Please bear in mind that I use my S2 on 2G only which supposedly saves battery. ..
Would the iPhone perform better than this?

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Waiting for the 5s would be difficult for me because I am sick of my S2. I am a busy person ( like all of you) and I need my phone to atleast last till midnight when I can plug it in. With the S2, despite having rooted it, removing all of the bloatware, using it on the power saving mode, turning the brightness down to absolute minimum, using a black wallpaper, turning off GPS, Wifi, Bluetooth and Location Services, I still have difficulty making it last on till I reach home and this despite not listening to music at all on my phone. By the time evening rolls in, I have to pretty much turn it into a dumbphone to make it last. Being a daily commuter it would be nice to listen to music on my phone itself and not having to carry an ipod for that purpose and still have juice to last the day. Please bear in mind that I use my S2 on 2G only which supposedly saves battery. ..
Would the iPhone perform better than this?

How long exactly are you needing the phone to last without plugging it in? I know you mentioned you need it to last at least until midnight....but when is the starting point? I get between 6-7 hours of usage time on my 5 and from reading the other threads that have come and gone I will say this is the norm. Of course that will vary with what type of usage it is, screen brightness, signal you are pulling, etc etc. Also, doesn't the S2 have a removeable battery? Wouldn't keeping a spare battery with you daily be an alternative?

iPerry7

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
My day begins at 7 a.m. I typically get around 3-4 hours usage (without gaming or music, videos) . I just use Twitter, Tapatalk and whatsapp. On the battery thread I have seen people getting even 8-10 hours of usage and that seems godlike to me :) I just have one push account (Gmail). I do have the option of a spare battery but doesnt that defeat the whole purpose? I'd much rather have a fun which just does what I want it to do without me doing anything for it. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73