Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

Default weird calendar issue (iPhone 5 running 6.1.3)

Hoping any of the experts here could chime in as I have a very weird calendar issue that just came about today. As stated in the title, it's an iPhone 5 running 6.1.3. My issue at hand is that when I create a calendar entry, the default time zone is set to Phoenix. I always visually check this every time I create an entry and it is always on Phoenix, every time. Now today when I created an entry, I noticed it said Cupertino. I thought nothing of it at the time and set it back to Phoenix, finished my entry, and checked it after creation and it did in fact say Phoenix. Next, I was looking at entries for tomorrow and I noticed that they all said Cupertino in the time zone. Also started looking at previous and future entries, all now say Cupertino. I can physically go into each entry and change back to Phoenix and that seems to work however, I average around ten entries a day so that would take me forever to do so. Under settings->general->date & time, set automatically is "on" and time zone is set to "Phoenix" as it has been since day one. Under settings->calendar, time zone support is "on" and time zone is "Phoenix" however, I don't think this has anything to do with that, just wanted to throw that out there. I restarted my phone once and that didn't help. Yesterday it worked fine. The only thing I did since then was install the TV Guide app from the App Store. That is all.

Oh also to add, I looked at my wife's phone and she has a lot of entries that say Cupertino (about half of the entries) but her settings are the exact same as mine in the date & time settings and when I made a test entry, it was defaulted as Phoenix. Weird.

Any ideas guys? I'm at a loss and don't really want to make a Genius Bar appointment since the closest is about an hour drive each way and wouldn't be able to make it there until Friday afternoon at the earliest. However, the calendar is the most used thing on my phone so I really need it to be correct.

Thanks in advance guys.

~Aaron
  2. Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

Default Re: weird calendar issue (iPhone 5 running 6.1.3)

Just to add, I may be a noob here at iMore however, I've been a very active member of wpcentral, webOS Nation, and Crackberry. Just wanted to add that tid bit so I don't come off as a dumb noob.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

Seeing that there's over 160 views and no responses, I've come to the realization that what your home screen looks like or what color iPhone you're getting is more important than giving a fellow iPhone owner a little help with an issue.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Try updating to 6.1.4 ?

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Mine is set to San Diego and all my entries say San Diego I'm on iPhone 5 6.1.4

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

Didn't want to do that because I was gonna JB my device later this weekend but decided to do it anyway with no results to the calendar entries. Thanks for the reply though.

Global Posts
    15,721 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

I have tested this 2-3 times and works correctly for me.. Maybe worth getting Apple on the Phone since you can't make it in?
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com

8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

I actually made an appointment late yesterday and drove to the Apple Store. The Genius there said he thinks it is a setting in my Windows Live calendar. We logged into that account on the computer but everything was in fact correct. I left the Apple Store the exact way I came in.

This is a great phone but it is this that really gets to me since my calendar is the most used thing on my phone. This is the reason I left my Nokia 920 and Samsung Focus S, because their calendars didn't do what I needed.

I suppose I can live with it for the time being since we are on yhe same time as CA but when the daylight savings time happens and us in AZ don't follow DST, things will get complicated.

Global Posts
    15,721 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

Ok, I was going to suggest checking other services that the calendar populates from and check settings there. Glad you verified it though.

Have you wiped and started new, then see how things play out?

I found a few results online with users with the same issues, but they were from a while ago...

John Yester

10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

I have to weigh the options to see if it is beneficial for me to wipe the device. I have a ton of stuff on my phone and want to do this as a very dire last resort. I know I could backup but...

I'm just intrigued as to how and why the time zone has changed in my entries.

Global Posts
    15,721 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

Yes last resort.. But remember back up is just that.. Don't restore it or you may be back int he same spot soon enough...

If I were you I would check all devices, icloud settings, anything link to Apple ID with iCloud, all email services that handle any calendars you may have. Once everything has checked out. Then use the last resort.

As for me. I have to Exchange server accounts, Calendar syncs fine., Gmail Calendar is fine, and Google App Domain/Exchange that sync their calendar over fine as well.

And my time zone is set to automatic.
    John Yester

iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by oldirty9014 View Post
    Under settings->calendar, time zone support is "on" and time zone is "Phoenix" however, I don't think this has anything to do with that, just wanted to throw that out there.

~Aaron
    I am curious about the calendar/time zone support is "on" deal. Mine is set to "off" and I don't have any problems whatsoever. The statement on the "Time Zone Support" page of settings says, "When off, events will display according to the time zone of your current location."
    Have you tried turning that off?
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

Mine is set to on. That's how I set it since I travel to different time zones for work and it will just throw me off if it is always switching to the current time zone. The work around for the time being may be to turn it to off as also stated by the Apple Store but this still doesn't explain how or why all my entries, past, present, and future changed from Phoenix to Cupertino?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,632 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Check Settings > General > Date & Time > set automatically > OFF. Then enter your city (Phoenix). That should become the default location for time zone.
    Always learning ...

Global Posts
    15,721 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

But it will not change for him, which he needs for traveling. This is mentioned above.
    John Yester

16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

I can make a new calendar entry right now and it will say Phoenix in the time zone spot. That's no problem. My issue mainly has to do with the fact that the thousands of calendar entries dating back from 2011 through future entries have mysteriously changed in my calendar from Phoenix time zone to Cupertino time zone. All my settings are correct and have not changed since day one.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    1,330 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oldirty9014 View Post
    I can make a new calendar entry right now and it will say Phoenix in the time zone spot. That's no problem. My issue mainly has to do with the fact that the thousands of calendar entries dating back from 2011 through future entries have mysteriously changed in my calendar from Phoenix time zone to Cupertino time zone. All my settings are correct and have not changed since day one.
    My mind was just blown...but I was searching looking to find ANYTHING with a similar issue, and I actually found someone with the EXACT same issue in 2011...Phoenix to Cupertino...weird... Time Zone showing Cupertino

Anyway, perhaps there is a way to mass change timezones...might be just easier to try to find an answer to solve the problem rather than trying to figure out what happened this one time.
    Last edited by Curtieson; 06-04-2013 at 08:56 AM.