Is it required to use Itunes with your Iphone 5?

Nogitsune Micah

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I was considering adding a line to my account to get an Iphone 5 but i was wondering is it mandatory that you have to use itunes or can I get by with never using it?

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
You don't need it. You can set it up out of the box if the SIM is installed. However, if you want Music from your computer you'll have to use iTunes, or if you want to buy music on your phone you'll have to go through iTunes, assuming you want to use the stock music player.

iTunes on the computer is not required, however there will be reduced functionality. With iTunes Match, media you acquire via iTunes (even on the device) will sync wirelessly. And there are other music players that sync via the cloud, but IMO they are of lesser usability than the native Music app syncing with iTunes on the desktop. Forex, I have yet to find a solution that comes even close to iTunes' live updating Smart Playlists.

Then there are device backups. Sure, you can back up to iCloud, but how much space do you have there vs how much data do you have on the phone? I plug my iPhone into iTunes and do a backup, and it backs up everything, so far as I can tell. And what it may not back up in such a manner doesn't have to be because it's synced over from my media library. I have done a few such restores, it's how iOS does firmware updates via iTunes.

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
yea the phone can activate wirelessly now OTA, no need for itunes. also, you can now backup to icloud, so you wont need itunes for that either. however, you may need to use itunes eventually if you need to restore it for whatever reason or if you want to sync stuff to the phone.

Nogitsune Micah

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Okay thanks guys :)

I seriously hated itunes(the older version back in 2010-2012) so i haven't used the most modern version of it.
Should I get an iphone 5 on my 2nd line I'll check out the new itunes and if i hate it, i'll install it since it is not 100 percent required.

Itunes on windows has never been the best experience for me.

It does work with windows 8 correct?

ups925

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
There are other apps which transfer music to your iPod. Ifunbox is one of them. It also gets music off your iOS device.

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to spotify I haven't touched iTunes in months. iCloud backs up and my data and all my music is in the cloud. If I want to stream offline, I save a playlist.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Arelunde

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I backup to iTunes from time to time, just to be sure I have a backup HERE, not in the cloud dependent on their equipment working when I need it. Otherwise, I use iCloud, but I DO NOT backup photographs. They take up enormous space and I have an iPhone, iPad Mini and an MBP13 - all of which are synced with iPhoto. I don't think I need one more place for all my photos to travel.

Sn1p3rOG

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I only use iTunes if it is absolutely necessary. Most of what I need and do is available in the cloud. I use mostly Google's services so all email, calendars and contacts are synced. Also, even with iTunes Match, I can just download the songs I want to my phone over WiFi or Cellular. All my backups are done wirelessly through iCloud.

Maureen Linder

May 31, 2014
Visit site
I tried to load the new itunes on windows computer and I got a bunch of unwanted junk programs that downloade. I had to go in and delete them. Now I have no Itunes as I don't want all that crap to load again.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I tried to load the new itunes on windows computer and I got a bunch of unwanted junk programs that downloade. I had to go in and delete them. Now I have no Itunes as I don't want all that crap to load again.
It's been a long time since I've used a Windows computer, but I doubt that Apple bundled of bunch of junk apps with iTunes. Of course, I could be wrong...:)

serglb

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to spotify I haven't touched iTunes in months. iCloud backs up and my data and all my music is in the cloud. If I want to stream offline, I save a playlist.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

This is the same for me.

The only additional app that is optional to download is iCloud... Maybe you downloaded from a fraudulent site?

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2