Just switched over to iPhone 5 from using BlackBerry for 13 years! Need Help with Mail!

Dovaleh

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

I've been a BlackBerry user since it's infancy back in 1998 / 1999. I just recently purchased the BlackBerry Q10 and just wasn't happy with the over all result. Don't get me wrong the phone is fast, but the UI isn't the most user friendly. Anyhow, I've switched over to iPhone 5 and I love everything about it. Speed, Apps, Colour, User friendliness, etc.. The only thing that I need help with is setting up my Mail to work for me in the environment which I have it setup. So below is an explanation on how I have mine setup.

I'm running on Microsoft Office Exchange using Office 365 (ActiveSync) and use a PC and MS Outlook as my everyday / desktop client.

My email is all setup in multiple folders and sub-folders (about 500 of them). For example, I deal with 8 different shipping companies and my email is organized like this (for example):

Inbox\Shipping\Company1
Inbox\Shipping\Company2
Inbox\Shipping\Company3
etc.

When someone from Company1 emails me, it automatically puts their email into the Company1 folder (same with the others) ...

I've noticed that when I received an email that gets moved over to a folder via the rules, I don't see it on the main mail screen, but I have to actually go into the folder itself to view it.

So my first question, is it possible to view all emails on one screen even though some get moved over to different folders on the server? The BlackBerry operated like this and ideally, I'd like to continue to stick to that same environment.

I know that I can setup push notifications for all my sub-folders, but still, it seems as if I still have to siff through all my folders to see what email came in and which folder it went too.

Anyway to closely keep the same BlackBerry style email environment on an iPhone 5?

Other than than, the phone is AMAZING!

Thanks, Dov

P.S. My exchange box is about 12GB, how long does the initial setup usually take for email? Seems like it's been "synching" for a long time already?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
It seems like you have a fairly complex email setup here and I don't know how much of it will actually be able to be carried over from the structure you are used to on your BB.

However it would not hurt to start with this guide from our own forums and at least you will be able to read this comprehensive guide on iPhones email. Good luck and let us know if you need further help. Welcome to imore and iPhone 5.

Mail | iMore.com

SixStringMadness

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I wish I felt the way you do in your last statement. I've been a lifelong (life of RIM/BlackBerry) user, and I'm just irritated.

My company went away from BES, and no migration plans for BES10. My 9930 took a dump and I requested a new phone. No Q10 for me, but an iPhone 5

I couldn't be more frustrated. My Outlook is trainwrecked, and the iPhone just doesn't do it for me. A few months now into using my personal BlackBerry Z10, I am dumbfounded as to why my company has abandoned BlackBerry completely, as opposed to offering iPhones to those who wanted them, simply as an approved alternative.

Not trashing iPhone, the Devs make some neat apps, but there are quirks that have me shaking my head. I hope its just lack of knowledge, and it gets better.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
All you have to do is go into your Settings, Mail, tap the account you want to use, and tap on Mail Folders to Push, and choose the folders you want.

ups925

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
There should be an "all mail" option at the top in the email app. Not sure if you tried this and it still wont show. Occasionally i have to go into junk or spam folder to find something, but other than that all mail works for me.

SixStringMadness

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I have quite a few rules written and used in my Outlook, and the iPhone seems to fall in line with those just fine, and I can select which of the several folders I use "pushed" to the device. Seems to work just fine for me.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have quite a few rules written and used in my Outlook, and the iPhone seems to fall in line with those just fine, and I can select which of the several folders I use "pushed" to the device. Seems to work just fine for me.
I couldn't be more frustrated. My Outlook is trainwrecked, and the iPhone just doesn't do it for me.

I suppose I am a bit confused because you stated this in your first post but now you are good with this? Which one is it and as Alli said on what one can do to get their desired result especially the OP even though he has quite the abnormal complex email setup should work.

I am just stumped by which statement you are actually standing by?

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Are your rules by chance changing the status of the message somehow? Alli's suggestion should work as long as the message is still in the original unread status.

SixStringMadness

May 22, 2013
Visit site

I suppose I am a bit confused because you stated this in your first post but now you are good with this? Which one is it and as Alli said on what one can do to get their desired result especially the OP even though he has quite the abnormal complex email setup should work.

I am just stumped by which statement you are actually standing by?

As far as it relates to the email question, I don't have much insight to offer the OP, as it seems he is receiving mail in a unique way, I don't know if through an exchange or web service, and from how many accounts. I'm simply sharing that I have some rules written in my exchange base outlook for a single email address sending mail to multiple folders, and that it works fine on my device.

My frustration lies within the device and some keys areas I feel BlackBerry handles with ease, and I shared in the OP frustration from that aspect.

So, the device handles my email folders fine, but I still am unhappy with other aspects of the OS.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I wish I felt the way you do in your last statement. I've been a lifelong (life of RIM/BlackBerry) user, and I'm just irritated.

My company went away from BES, and no migration plans for BES10. My 9930 took a dump and I requested a new phone. No Q10 for me, but an iPhone 5

I couldn't be more frustrated. My Outlook is trainwrecked, and the iPhone just doesn't do it for me. A few months now into using my personal BlackBerry Z10, I am dumbfounded as to why my company has abandoned BlackBerry completely, as opposed to offering iPhones to those who wanted them, simply as an approved alternative.

Not trashing iPhone, the Devs make some neat apps, but there are quirks that have me shaking my head. I hope its just lack of knowledge, and it gets better.

I can understand your frustration with changing platforms after being with one for so long.. I have used every platform and have found over time you either get used to how it's done or you can replicate it the way it was done on the other phone.. I will say though I'm in IT and am a power user of almost any gadget or computer.. If you come up with specific issues you may want to start a thread and have me or other members try and help you get it working.. No matter which phone you have there is ups and downs but they all get most of it done..

Sent from my iPad 4 using Tapatalk HD

J Johnstone

May 23, 2013
Visit site
If you really stuck with blackberry till now and used a Q10 for more than 10 sec you would not have switched to the 7 year old iOS. I went the other way - dropped my iPhone for Z10 and love it so far. Return the i5 and give the Q a real try. Unless you need lots of fart apps etc...

SixStringMadness

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I can understand your frustration with changing platforms after being with one for so long.. I have used every platform and have found over time you either get used to how it's done or you can replicate it the way it was done on the other phone.. I will say though I'm in IT and am a power user of almost any gadget or computer.. If you come up with specific issues you may want to start a thread and have me or other members try and help you get it working.. No matter which phone you have there is ups and downs but they all get most of it done..

Sent from my iPad 4 using Tapatalk HD

I agree completely with what you say, so I hope that what irritates me based on lack of knowledge. Like you I'm a power user of all the tech gadget, but in comparison to my Z10, this iPhone 5 is frustrating.

Like when I want to correct a typo, how do you move the cursor?? Simple little actions like that just don't function, or I don't know how.

Anyway, not hijacking, I'll ask my other questions elsewhere

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like it's user experience getting the best of you.

Also to move the cursor. Hold where you want on the screen and the pop up magnifying glass will show cursor, then just slide left and right to go where you need to.

SixStringMadness

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like it's user experience getting the best of you.

Also to move the cursor. Hold where you want on the screen and the pop up magnifying glass will show cursor, then just slide left and right to go where you need to.

Hmmm, seems like I tried that. Works now, but I swear I tried that before.

Oh well, thanks.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
There should be an "all mail" option at the top in the email app. Not sure if you tried this and it still wont show. Occasionally i have to go into junk or spam folder to find something, but other than that all mail works for me.
There is an "All Inboxes", but not an "All Mail". All Inboxes shows the contents of all of the Inbox folders across all configured email accounts, and not all email.

If the mail is being filtered to folders before it viewed on the iPhone, then you can find the email in the destination folder.

Perhaps there is a third party mail application that can do what the OP wants, and optionally show all mail in the account in one massive list regardless of the mail folder it's actually in.

jefftam68

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I suspect if you've been a hard core BB user all these years, you'll realize how spoiled you were with the email functionality. iPhones will do email, but you're productivity just dropped considerably.

SixStringMadness

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I suspect if you've been a hard core BB user all these years, you'll realize how spoiled you were with the email functionality. iPhones will do email, but you're productivity just dropped considerably.

My BB-9930 was a fantastic phone, I hate that it failed, but I'm even more disappointed my company has decided against migrating to BB-10, I was really looking forward to the Q10 as a work device after having spent a couple of months with my new Z10.

Breezing through some of the tips/tricks threads; I'm learning a few things that help make the iPhone a little easier to use, and is easing the transition pains.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My BB-9930 was a fantastic phone, I hate that it failed, but I'm even more disappointed my company has decided against migrating to BB-10, I was really looking forward to the Q10 as a work device after having spent a couple of months with my new Z10.

Breezing through some of the tips/tricks threads; I'm learning a few things that help make the iPhone a little easier to use, and is easing the transition pains.

Outstanding! There is indeed a transition period, but you're doing it right and I thank you.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR