The reason why I don't use LTE

JeevesVic

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone.

Don't get me wrong, I love LTE! The speeds are awesome, my phone seems to operate much faster. The only reason why I have it off is because LTE isn't strong in certain areas. Because of this my phone will often drop mobile Internet and at times go into no service mode. I'm running the latest operating system of iOS. Apple please fix this! I don't care that my phone is switching back between 3G and LTE but dropping service all together is a problem, I've missed phone calls because of this!!

Anyone else experience this? I'd like to have it on all the time but I need my phone operational.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I did, only it was with the iPhone 4 when it first came out on AT&T's 3G network. It would drop calls and Internet connections immediately. I went back to AT&T and swapped it out with a new one as I didn't believe the antenna placement was the problem. The new one was perfect, no issues at all. My daughter still uses my old iPhone 4. If you continue to have this problem, I would not hesitate getting a appointment with Apple and getting your iPhone replaced. Apple has awesome CS and I know they will be very helpful to you. Best wishes.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I believe that's due to your phone trying to stay connected to the LTE network it can barely reach. It's not a network or hardware issue, you're phone is doing exactly what it's supposed to. I just wish it didn't try to stay connected to weak LTE signals, my phone does it too depending on where I am in the country.

Blazin' tappity tap tap 2 you!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I believe that's due to your phone trying to stay connected to the LTE network it can barely reach. It's not a network or hardware issue, you're phone is doing exactly what it's supposed to. I just wish it didn't try to stay connected to weak LTE signals, my phone does it too depending on where I am in the country.
In those situations, go to Settings>> General>> Cellular and toggle Enable LTE to "off".

ups925

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I get lte in about 4 different 2 square feet sections at my work. Its ridiculous and causes my phones battery to deplete faster. Ive contemplated turning off 4g all together while at work, but I still get a full days heavy use out of my phone so I dont have to resort to that yet. Once sbsettings has an lte toggle ill use that.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Apple isn't really going to have much luck trying to fix a problem related to the network in your area...the phone is going to do it's job to try and connect, and it's going to do it's best to stay in the most optimal network for speed and reliability, but it can only do so much, and when you have an area where a signal drops out consistently like this, your best solution is to call your carrier and ask them what is up and see when better service will be introduced. The iPhone, while very reliable, is also built to accommodate on a massive scale, so a pocket of a dozen people that are having issues amongst many thousand that are performing fine is not going to stand out as something worth servicing, if it could be serviced by Apple in the first place.

mij9895

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
When I was in Kansas recently I was using Sprint LTE in a weak signal area and my battery life didn't suffer that bad at all. Might have lost an hour over the normal battery life I always get.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone.

Don't get me wrong, I love LTE! The speeds are awesome, my phone seems to operate much faster. The only reason why I have it off is because LTE isn't strong in certain areas. Because of this my phone will often drop mobile Internet and at times go into no service mode. I'm running the latest operating system of iOS. Apple please fix this! I don't care that my phone is switching back between 3G and LTE but dropping service all together is a problem, I've missed phone calls because of this!!

Anyone else experience this? I'd like to have it on all the time but I need my phone operational.

What network are you using?

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Tony47nv

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Love my iphone 5

My issue is with sprint had LTE service in NY but recently moved to las vegas NV and no LTE here or even coming soon. Might have to switch carriers had i not ever had it might not miss it but i do

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Love my iphone 5

My issue is with sprint had LTE service in NY but recently moved to las vegas NV and no LTE here or even coming soon. Might have to switch carriers had i not ever had it might not miss it but i do

Have LTE here in Ma, and on Sprint works great. They are updating the towers, so there are some areas it drops to 3G, but signal is strong so it switches back and fourth smoothly.

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I know that my phone can drop from lte to 3G at times but I don't know about missed calls or anything I wonder if I have missed calls cause of this? Hmmm

Jrome.brooks

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Give it time it's going to be great if you have a i5 don't upgrade because by next year everywhere will have LTE and the i5 will be fantastic

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Give it time it's going to be great if you have a i5 don't upgrade because by next year everywhere will have LTE and the i5 will be fantastic

I agree with this one cause it gonna take time for every place to have lte.. But like always in the next few years there gonna be something even faster

mij9895

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Love my iphone 5

No LTE in Vegas? You might want to check this link: http://www.sensorly.com/fullscreen/map/4G/US/USA/Sprint/lte_310sprint ; and go check out the areas that are already getting LTE in Vegas. People have even been getting signal in the Cosmopolitan and on the 2nd floor of the Rio.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Tony47nv

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Well that's great news but i have not seen it yet on my iphone yet. Hope it's true, but that map shows very spotty service. I work in summerlin area and have yet to see lte on my phone

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I get lte in about 4 different 2 square feet sections at my work. Its ridiculous and causes my phones battery to deplete faster. Ive contemplated turning off 4g all together while at work, but I still get a full days heavy use out of my phone so I dont have to resort to that yet. Once sbsettings has an lte toggle ill use that.
I disable LTE at work also for that same reason. Too much switching and trying to stay connected. With it disabled my battery life is MUCH better during the work day. I've even been contemplating leaving LTE off as I don't use my phone heavily for data intensive activities until I'm at home on my Wi-Fi network so having that high speed LTE isn't a necessity.

Jrome.brooks

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I disable LTE at work also for that same reason. Too much switching and trying to stay connected. With it disabled my battery life is MUCH better during the work day. I've even been contemplating leaving LTE off as I don't use my phone heavily for data intensive activities until I'm at home on my Wi-Fi network so having that high speed LTE isn't a necessity.

Does disabling lte really gives you better batterylife

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Seems to be better to me though it might be all in my head. One thing that I believe is that 2 bars of 3G is definitely more reliable than 2 bars of LTE!

But again, this is when at working in my building. When not at work it's LTE all day unless I'm in my wife's hometown then it's wifi or phone off. Signal sucks out there. Lol

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice