how to group contacts and conversations

mikedk64

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello.

im new in the apple world, so i need some help.

1; is it possible to group my contacts? for example: "mom", "dad" and "sister" in a group called family.

2; I have a little business and i use my private phone for my business. Is it possible to group some of my conversations, so i dont have 200 different conversations in my message box.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You can't create groups with the native contacts app directly on the iPhone, it has to be done via the address book on macbook (or outlook I'm guessing on PC).

I don't think you can group conversations within iMessage.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Contacts can be grouped... if using iCloud, log in to iCloud on a computer via the web, select the contacts app - and you can make groups there...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I guess i should have just put "Must be done on the computer...", forgot about the iCloud method. They really should add this feature to the iPhone itself, it's such a small thing really, but would make cleaning up an address book a lot easier.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello.

im new in the apple world, so i need some help.

1; is it possible to group my contacts? for example: "mom", "dad" and "sister" in a group called family.
Yes. See the instructions below.

2; I have a little business and i use my private phone for my business. Is it possible to group some of my conversations, so i dont have 200 different conversations in my message box.
Not that I'm aware of.

1. Log in to iCloud.com via a computer and then select the contacts icon.
One.png

2. Select the bookmark thingy.
Two.png

3. Select the "+" at the bottom to add a group.
Three.png

4. Give the group a name.
Four.png

5. Select from your contact list the people who will be in the created group.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
We talked in one of my other Threads, where i can?t access my contacts in iCloud :(

The contacts that are on your phone, are you certain they are associated with iCloud? Do you have them with any other email provider - Google, for example?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Are you using the same AppleID and/or account for iCloud on the phone as you're using to log on via a computer/web browser?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
if i create a new contact on my phone, will it still not be show on iCloud
If it is associated with iCloud, it should. When you initiate the Contacts app on your device and then select "Groups", is there any other listing other than iCloud that is checked?

l.i bruce fan

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
My apologies for not being clear. The group listing I was referring to was the one from your iPhone. Follow my previous instructions using your iPhone, please.

Can you then use these new groups to send group emails? I coach 2 different soccer teams, if I could use a group to send an email to my entire team, it would be worthwhile setting up. I did a test run using your walkthrough above (thanks BTW) and it just looks like a more "restricted" contact list...

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Ohh sorry :)

Yes
Hotmail and iCloud is checked

Okay. Great! Now uncheck Hotmail and then view your contact list and see if they are all present. If they are not, re-check Hotmail and then uncheck iCloud. If your contacts are now all present then those contacts are associated with Hotmail and not iCloud and thus the reason for the sync problem you are having.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If i uncheck hotmail, theres is no contacts.

How can i do so all my contacts are associated with iCloud?

Physically export them from hotmail to a file that you can physically import into iCloud.

I've transferred my Hotmail to Outlook months ago, but I assume the procedure is the same or close.

1. Log into your Hotmail / Outlook Mail account via a computer.
2. Select your contacts and then select "Manage".
3. Select "Export" and then select to save the file. It should automatically be in .csv format. You can give it a name or use the default.
4. Remember where you saved the .csv file. :)
5. Logout of your Hotmail / Outlook mail.
6. Open the .csv file with a text editor. Save it as a .vcf file or rename it with a .vcf. extension (example: Change Contacts.csv to Contacts.vcf).
7. Login to iCoud via your computer.
8. Select the Contacts icon.
9. Select the little wheel thingy at the bottom left corner of the screen.
10. Select "Import vCard" and choose the location where the .vcf file you created is located.

That *should* do it for you. Give it a minute for the contacts to sync to your iPhone.

Last edited: