Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Has the keyboard click volume bug happened to you?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 25.00%
  • No

6 75.00%
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Alli
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default iPhone 5 Keyboard Clicks

Hey everyone. I apologize ahead of time if someone has already posted this, I searched the forums and didn't come up with anything that I could see.

Firstly, I just got my iPhone 5 on Verizon and I absolutely love it so far, but I am running into one tiny problem. I've noticed that on occasion the keyboard click sound will suddenly get extremely quiet (almost inaudible) even with the volume turned all the way up. I haven't been able to consistently reproduce it so I'm not sure what the exact cause is, but restarting usually helps. Also, oddly enough, turning DOWN the volume from the app switching menu while its happening fixes it as well.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed this issue as well and if anyone knows of the cause? I've had it happen to me on both iOS 6.1.3 (which is what it shipped with out of the box) and iOS 6.1.4 which is what I'm running now.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Default Re: iPhone 5 Keyboard Clicks

To be honest, I would never know since the first thing I do is turn off keyboard sounds.
    Dryland and revtech like this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,219 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

^^^ This. As soon as i take the iPhone out of the box and start setting it up, it's one of the first things i do.

That said, there are several "audio" glitches that seem to still happen with iOS 6...one you might find often is the audio volume lowering after accessing Siri via holding down the home button. I can still make mine do that right now. Others have said that they noticed the same kind of audio volume issue after a long phone call is ended.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

Global Posts
    20,279 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Like Alli & Sean have already stated, turning off the keyboard clicking sound is one of the first things I do. I have intentionally left it on for the majority of a day, but thats about it, and during that time, I didn't notice any fluctuation in volume or anything.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    4,012 Global Posts

Not saying this is it, but I've covered my speaker with my finger while typing and practically muted the sound. Especially without a case that blocks practically all sound. I can't decide if I like it or not, but I do always turn it off when I'm hooked up to my Bluetooth speaker so the clicks don't go through it.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts

I unlike the rest here actually prefer the keyboard clicks on and I can confirm that the audio does go a little quiet on the clicking sometimes and my speakers are not covered.

I feel as though since 6.1.2 it happens a lot less than it use to. Still happens but not nearly as much.

I think it is just a software bug not the phone itself.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I prefer the click sounds too and I have never experienced any lowering of click volume when using my iPhone 5.
    Current Apple Devices : MacBook Pro 13" (i7-2012) | iPhone 5S White 32gb (VZ) | iPad Air 128gb White (VZ) | iPad mini 64gb White WiFi | iPod Classic 160gb | Apple TV | Mac mini (2011)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    211 Global Posts

New to iPhone 5, have the white, 64gb version from T-Mobile with 6.1.4. I also prefer the click sound and mine is always at the same level. I think the 6.1.4 update was for sound.
    PS Love the phone.
    Vinny

Global Posts
    3,507 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

I haven't experienced this issue at all. Been using an iPhone 5 for six months now.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 5S 64GB
    Galaxy Note 3
    iPad Mini with Retina 32gb
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    To be honest, I would never know since the first thing I do is turn off keyboard sounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    ^^^ This. As soon as i take the iPhone out of the box and start setting it up, it's one of the first things i do.
    Ditto. However, a friend had this issue and a reset of the phone from the settings menu was the resolution.
    "If you settle for less, you'll settle for anything."
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Not saying this is it, but I've covered my speaker with my finger while typing and practically muted the sound. Especially without a case that blocks practically all sound. I can't decide if I like it or not, but I do always turn it off when I'm hooked up to my Bluetooth speaker so the clicks don't go through it.
    That's actually what I thought I was doing at first, but quickly ruled that out. It only seems to happen every once in a while, but when it does it's completely random.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    427 Global Posts

I turn of lock screen and keyboard sounds.. SO I wouldn´t know.

Global Posts
    15,544 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com