iMessage/Text

spikman

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys...just got a quick question. Does anyone know when you get an iMessage or text, yet you don't want to answer it right away, but once you unlock your phone it goes straight to the text....it drives me crazy all the time. Anyone know if there is a way to make this not happen?

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
If you notice right after your phone goes off for the iMessage/text in your unlock slider it says swipe to reply. Simply don't swipe yet. Let the screen on your phone go blank and then unlock it and it will go to wherever it was when you left off

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys...just got a quick question. Does anyone know when you get an iMessage or text, yet you don't want to answer it right away, but once you unlock your phone it goes straight to the text....it drives me crazy all the time. Anyone know if there is a way to make this not happen?

You can either wait till the display goes off and then unlock it, or you can hit the lock button twice to turn off the display, then turn it back on. This clears the active notification and allows you to unlock the device to where you were previously.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Chris Kerrigan

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I usually just re-lock and unlock the screen again if I don't want to go straight to the message. Kind of annoying, but not a huge deal for me anyway. It would be nice to have a setting to control it though.

spikman

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
The thing is I don't care that it opens up the the messages, I just hate how it goes straight to the new message and opens it. It'd be so much nicer if I had to click on what message I wanted to view instead of automaticity opening....but thanks for the info gys!!

Chris Kerrigan

May 14, 2013
Visit site
The thing is I don't care that it opens up the the messages, I just hate how it goes straight to the new message and opens it. It'd be so much nicer if I had to click on what message I wanted to view instead of automaticity opening....but thanks for the info gys!!

It can be especially annoying if you have multiple messages waiting and a new one comes in because swiping will take you directly to the message that just came in. In the very least I'd love to see it changed so that it takes you to the main screen of the messages app.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
you can hit the lock button twice to turn off the display, then turn it back on. This clears the active notification and allows you to unlock the device to where you were previously.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5
Didn't know that.
Tks for the tip jclisenby

timmyb457

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I would like it if the main slider just unlocked the phone no matter what, and if you wanted to go to a message you could just swipe on that slider to open it

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I would like it if the main slider just unlocked the phone no matter what, and if you wanted to go to a message you could just swipe on that slider to open it

And if it were that way, you'd be annoyed that each time you want to read a text you'd be forced to unlocked, tap messages, and then tap the conversation in question.

It's one of those things where you want it to work a different way depending on desires and you only notice how annoying the option you see is while ignoring how much the other choice would also annoy you.

timmyb457

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
And if it were that way, you'd be annoyed that each time you want to read a text you'd be forced to unlocked, tap messages, and then tap the conversation in question.

It's one of those things where you want it to work a different way depending on desires and you only notice how annoying the option you see is while ignoring how much the other choice would also annoy you.

No you wouldn't. You would just swipe on the message you wanted to open and it would go right to it.

iPhone 3G 16GB -> iPhone 3Gs 16GB -> iPhone 4 16GB Black -> iPhone 4 16GB White -> iPhone 4s 16GB Black -> iPhone 5 Black & Slate

I know it says newbie, but that's just cuz I don't post often

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I just hit the power button lightly to shut the screen back off. Then when I swipe the screen next time I just go home and have the little red number on Messages.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
It can be especially annoying if you have multiple messages waiting and a new one comes in because swiping will take you directly to the message that just came in. In the very least I'd love to see it changed so that it takes you to the main screen of the messages app.

In my experience, when I have multiple new messages it doesn't open the newest one, it just shows the list of messages.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
No you wouldn't. You would just swipe on the message you wanted to open and it would go right to it.

iPhone 3G 16GB -> iPhone 3Gs 16GB -> iPhone 4 16GB Black -> iPhone 4 16GB White -> iPhone 4s 16GB Black -> iPhone 5 Black & Slate

Where did I say anything about the silly status below your name?

The only time the "problem" exists is when the incoming text is what lit your screen up. If the screen has dimmed on its own, it no longer opens directly to the message.

As this problem exists only in that scenario, it means you wanted to get into the iPhone at the same time and had your task interrupted by the incoming text changing the action made by your slider. In the case the slider operated as the prior post suggested, when you were done with your task you would have to either opt to read the message through the message app or wait until the phone locked. At that point, the pretty little notification would be gone leaving you to either use the method I detailed or drop the NC.

Either way, if you're complaining that the few times that an incoming text directly coincides with a time you wanted to unlock your phone for other reasons, you'd complain about that too. That's true no matter how many devices you've owned.

Chris Kerrigan

May 14, 2013
Visit site
In my experience, when I have multiple new messages it doesn't open the newest one, it just shows the list of messages.

Hmm, really? I'll check it out again today, but I could have sworn the last time I was in that situation it didn't just take me to the main screen of the messages app.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site

Totally agree with Timmy here--it's always baffled me that Apple uses both available sliders for the same thing. And as he says, leaving the bottom slider as an "unlock-only" slider doesn't take away the ability to go straight to the notification; for that you would simply use the slider on the notification itself.

A simple example of why this is useful:

-my wife sends me a text that reads "Can you send me Amy's phone number?"

To find it in my Contacts, I have to either:

-a) use the slider, which will open my wife's message. I then have to close out of Messages and open Contacts.
-b) lock my phone, unlock my phone, use the slider, open Contacts

Why not have the slider on the notification open the message, and the second slider just unlock the phone?

I think you have it backwards when you say "As this problem exists only in that scenario, it means you wanted to get into the iPhone at the same time and had your task interrupted by the incoming text changing the action made by your slider."

The actual problem is the reverse of that--not that you're interrupted in the act of unlocking your phone, but that you get an incoming text that makes you want to get into your phone, but not directly to the message.

avth

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone, I'm new here, and would want to ask of anyone can help me with some issues and questions I have about sync problems? I recently
Synced in my contacts,photoa,daya, messages etc. from my iPhone 4S to my new iPhone 5..after syncing my iMessage format changed, I suddenly don't see the iMessage icon when I write a message..can anyone help
Out? Thank you

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone, I'm new here, and would want to ask of anyone can help me with some issues and questions I have about sync problems? I recently
Synced in my contacts,photoa,daya, messages etc. from my iPhone 4S to my new iPhone 5..after syncing my iMessage format changed, I suddenly don't see the iMessage icon when I write a message..can anyone help
Out? Thank you

What do you mean you don't see the iMessage icon "when" you write a message? The only thing you should be seeing is the text box and the message you are typing. As for an icon, only the camera icon should be visible when you're composing a text.

avth

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Before I synced the datas from
My iPhone 4S to my iPhone 5, I could see the I message in the middle of the call and contact info on my iphone 5 default message page now this is what I see after I synced from
iPhone 4S ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1368733595.545912.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro