Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By jsntrenkler
  • 1 Post By Chris Kerrigan
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    tylerj67's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

    Default Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T?

    I have been looking into getting an iPhone 5 the past few days and I have read that the Verizon iPhone 5 comes GSM unlocked, although I've also read that the Verizon iPhone 5 would only be able to use the AT&T HSPA+ network but that would be fine with me since I don't have LTE in my area. Can anyone confirm that this is true and working?
  2. #2  
    kch50428's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    20,121 Posts
    Global Posts
    21,002 Global Posts

    Default Re: Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T?

    I've read accounts of the Verizon iPhone5 with an AT&T nano sim installed working - but not on AT&T's LTE.
  3. #3  
    wolfedude88's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    286 Posts
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts

    Default Re: Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T?

    I can confirm that my Verizon iPhone 5 has worked with a Att nano sim for HSPA +, no LTE
  4. #4  
    tgp
    tgp is offline
    tgp's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    152 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,200 Global Posts

    Default Re: Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T?

    I use a Verizon iPhone 5 with a Net10 SIM card using AT&T, but I wouldn't get LTE anyway. I do get 4G.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    tylerj67's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

    Default Re: Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T?

    Awesome!! Thank you guys! I just wanted to make sure that I would be able to use the phone on AT&T before I went and picked one up.
  6. #6  
    tgp
    tgp is offline
    tgp's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    152 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,200 Global Posts

    Default Re: Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T?

    Quote Originally Posted by tylerj67 View Post
    I have been looking into getting an iPhone 5 the past few days and I have read that the Verizon iPhone 5 comes GSM unlocked, although I've also read that the Verizon iPhone 5 would only be able to use the AT&T HSPA+ network but that would be fine with me since I don't have LTE in my area. Can anyone confirm that this is true and working?
    To add to my previous post about using a Verizon iPhone 5 with a Net10 AT&T SIM, I only had it in a couple days, but I saw download speeds up to 7Mbps or so. And that was in my small local town, and that's as high as I've ever seen with the same SIM in any other phone at the same place.

    And don't forget that you will need a nano SIM card as was mentioned in earlier posts. My Net10 SIM was originally a mini SIM, cut to a micro SIM for my 920 when I had that for a month or so, and then I cut it down to a nano SIM for my iPhone 5! And it still works fine!
  7. #7  
    natasftw's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,347 Posts

    Default Re: Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T?

    If you haven't bought it, is there any reason you'd prefer the CDMA model to the GSM?

    It'll work, but you won't be able to upgrade to get the LTE at any point. The phones have the same prices.

    What am I missing?
  8. #8  
    Gary Bishop1's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default Re: Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T?

    I switched from AT&T to Verizon when the 5 came out because I wanted LTE.
    Now. Lol.
    6 months in, and i still had no voice coverage at my home with Verizon.
    Data was great most everywhere. But voice was terrible at home.
    After several calls to Verizon they offered (Check this out!) offered to
    cancel my contract without early termination fees, or equipment fees.
    Yes, 6 months into my subsidized contract with Verizon, they let me out,
    phones included.
    So now I find myself without a contract, free to go to another carrier as I please.
    I popped the AT&T card in my phone, and voila! It worked.
    Every little piece of the phone and service works just like an AT&T phone.
    I haven't compared it, side by side with an actual AT&T iPhone 5 to verify data
    Speeds, but I can say I have gotten 22mbps up, and 13 down, however,
    in my area i typically cruise at about 7 and 3.
    Recently, AT&T just launched LTE in my area. My phone has indicated AT&T 4G
    But did not show LTE.
    I've tried installing different APN's
    Tried network resets
    Restored
    Nothing seems to be working to make it connect
    To LTE.
    As I type this, I'm on hold with apple care, who is
    Looking into it.
    I'll let you know how it turns out.
    But really, even if it doesn't work.
    So what?
    A CDMA IPhone 5 connecting on AT&T's GSM
    Network at HSPA+ speed.
    I'm ok with that now, makes me wish I have waited
    way back when.... I could've kept my AT&T unlimited data Iphone5 and
    Solved all of these woes.
  9. #9  
    BreakingKayfabe's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    6,148 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,529 Global Posts

    Default Re: Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Bishop1 View Post
    I switched from AT&T to Verizon when the 5 came out because I wanted LTE.
    Now. Lol.
    6 months in, and i still had no voice coverage at my home with Verizon.
    Data was great most everywhere. But voice was terrible at home.
    After several calls to Verizon they offered (Check this out!) offered to
    cancel my contract without early termination fees, or equipment fees.
    Yes, 6 months into my subsidized contract with Verizon, they let me out,
    phones included.
    So now I find myself without a contract, free to go to another carrier as I please.
    I popped the AT&T card in my phone, and voila! It worked.
    Every little piece of the phone and service works just like an AT&T phone.
    I haven't compared it, side by side with an actual AT&T iPhone 5 to verify data
    Speeds, but I can say I have gotten 22mbps up, and 13 down, however,
    in my area i typically cruise at about 7 and 3.
    Recently, AT&T just launched LTE in my area. My phone has indicated AT&T 4G
    But did not show LTE.
    I've tried installing different APN's
    Tried network resets
    Restored
    Nothing seems to be working to make it connect
    To LTE.
    As I type this, I'm on hold with apple care, who is
    Looking into it.
    I'll let you know how it turns out.
    But really, even if it doesn't work.
    So what?
    A CDMA IPhone 5 connecting on AT&T's GSM
    Network at HSPA+ speed.
    I'm ok with that now, makes me wish I have waited
    way back when.... I could've kept my AT&T unlimited data Iphone5 and
    Solved all of these woes.
    Yeah. You're not gonna get LTE on that CDMA phone. Glad you got
    that problem solved. It's frustrating not having good cell coverage at home
  10. #10  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    12,210 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

    Default Re: Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T?

    Why a person would want an iPhone 5 without the ability to use LTE is just beyond me.
  11. #11  
    sting7k's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,950 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,854 Global Posts

    Default Re: Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T?

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    Why a person would want an iPhone 5 without the ability to use LTE is just beyond me.
    LTE uses way to much battery. I keep mine off. HSPA+ is plenty fast enough these days.
  12. #12  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    12,210 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

    Default Re: Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T?

    Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    LTE uses way to much battery. I keep mine off. HSPA+ is plenty fast enough these days.
    I guess that's just a difference in opinion then, going back to HSPA+ compared to the speeds I get with LTE would be awful to me...but to each their own. As far as battery life goes, I'm getting stellar battery life with LTE on 100% of the time (unless I'm in a WiFi network), so I can't agree there.
  13. #13  
    jsntrenkler's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,492 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,811 Global Posts

    Default Re: Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T?

    I get good battery life as well on LTE .. A lot of it depends on the actual coverage in your area more bars equals better battery life.
  14. #14  
    Fraydog's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

    Default Re: Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T?

    The AT&T iPhone 5 does not support Band 17 which is the frequency band AT&T uses. Band 17 is far different than Band 13 and it won't be possible for a VZW/AT&T LTE iPhone until the 5S which can support more frequency bands with a new baseband likely to be added.
  15. #15  
    markhunsaker's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    483 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,143 Global Posts

    Default Re: Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T?

    As long as you have decent coverage LTE isn't horrible on the battery. Itsw hen you have poor data coverage...the battery goes quick.
  16. #16  
    HWILLIS06's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default Re: Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Bishop1 View Post
    I switched from AT&T to Verizon when the 5 came out because I wanted LTE.
    Now. Lol.
    6 months in, and i still had no voice coverage at my home with Verizon.
    Data was great most everywhere. But voice was terrible at home.
    After several calls to Verizon they offered (Check this out!) offered to
    cancel my contract without early termination fees, or equipment fees.
    Yes, 6 months into my subsidized contract with Verizon, they let me out,
    phones included.
    So now I find myself without a contract, free to go to another carrier as I please.
    I popped the AT&T card in my phone, and voila! It worked.
    Every little piece of the phone and service works just like an AT&T phone.
    I haven't compared it, side by side with an actual AT&T iPhone 5 to verify data
    Speeds, but I can say I have gotten 22mbps up, and 13 down, however,
    in my area i typically cruise at about 7 and 3.
    Recently, AT&T just launched LTE in my area. My phone has indicated AT&T 4G
    But did not show LTE.
    I've tried installing different APN's
    Tried network resets
    Restored
    Nothing seems to be working to make it connect
    To LTE.
    As I type this, I'm on hold with apple care, who is
    Looking into it.
    I'll let you know how it turns out.
    But really, even if it doesn't work.
    So what?
    A CDMA IPhone 5 connecting on AT&T's GSM
    Network at HSPA+ speed.
    I'm ok with that now, makes me wish I have waited
    way back when.... I could've kept my AT&T unlimited data Iphone5 and
    Solved all of these woes.

    Exactly what me and my wife are going through withe verizon now.... They offered to cancel are contracts as we have marginal too no coverage at home or work... So it looks like AT&T will be our move talked to several friends and family members in our area with no problems too mention... Get this tho we had verizon for 8 years now and all of a sudden we lost coverage???? Techs at verizon said nothing's wrong ????
    I do have a question tho, since we have iPhone 5's and we switch sims or whatever we have to do to use on AT&T network do we have to sign contract or will it b like we purchased the phone at full price (no contract required)???
  17. #17  
    Chris Kerrigan's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    141 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts

    Default Re: Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T?

    Quote Originally Posted by jsntrenkler View Post
    I get good battery life as well on LTE .. A lot of it depends on the actual coverage in your area more bars equals better battery life.
    Exactly. If I'm in a strong LTE coverage area, my battery life is fine. It's when you get into those areas in which you're bouncing back and fourth between LTE and 3G that sucks the life out of your phone.
    dobermansrule likes this.
  18. #18  
    TonyAnt's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default Re: Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T?

    Hello - I noticed on some of your responses you're saying that an at&t sim does work (with limitations) on a verizon iphone 5.
    I have a at&t sim card, when installed in verizon iPhone 5 - the iphone continues to say "No service".
    When I first installed the at&t sim, it went from no sim to no service.
    I am unable to make calls or use data. I even went to unlockit.co.nz - still the sim card doesn't work.
    Can you help?
  19. #19  
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    LCW's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,164 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,566 Global Posts

    Default Re: Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T?

    Just did the switch tonight- vzw iPhone 5 running on AT&T (granted no LTE, but do get HSPA+). Wasn't on contract with vzw and was getting annoyed at their service in my area so I decided to switch. Plus AT&T ends up being cheaper.

    Tested a sim at the AT&T store to make sure - it worked so signed up for a plan with no contract. It's awesome

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 41
    Last Post: 05-04-2012, 05:56 PM
  2. Let's say I want an iPhone on AT&T and I get the 4GB plan
    By Star-Lord in forum Carrier Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-21-2011, 01:39 PM
  3. New iPhone on AT&T - Best Deal
    By grape8pe2 in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-10-2011, 10:37 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-14-2010, 12:33 PM
  5. iPhone on AT&T in Los Angeles. How is the coverage these days?
    By Crunch in forum Carrier Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-18-2009, 06:16 AM

Posting Permissions