iPhone 5 & USB through car, system sounds

mnagy48

May 11, 2013
Visit site
So i have a 2012 Honda Accord. Plug in iPhone via built in USB. Car is fully compatible with it. So as I'm jamming out to Pandora or any music app, all text message sounds, email sounds, etc. play through the car speaker. Now I like to listen to music fairly loud...but when the text tone comes through it is very loud!

I've looked and looked...I'm assuming there is no way to have the system sounds play through the phone speakers vs car speakers without putting the phone on vibrate?

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Nope. There's no way. I have looked into it and even talked to Apple support. Hooking up via in-car USB will play all sounds through the car speakers. I don't like it either. I wish we could control that and also that we could control our music from the phone when it's plugged in via USB. But sadly, not in iOS 6.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
So i have a 2012 Honda Accord. Plug in iPhone via built in USB. Car is fully compatible with it. So as I'm jamming out to Pandora or any music app, all text message sounds, email sounds, etc. play through the car speaker. Now I like to listen to music fairly loud...but when the text tone comes through it is very loud!

I've looked and looked...I'm assuming there is no way to have the system sounds play through the phone speakers vs car speakers without putting the phone on vibrate?

Set your ringer volume lower. You can do this just by lowering the volume when nothing else is playing. Or even hit the Mute switch to silence all system sounds.

I don't use USB output because my car doesn't have it, but I've used the headset output and BlueTooth and I've found that each output method remembers its own volume settings, and that each source internal to the phone remembers it's own volume. But if you have your ringer loud so you can hear it when it's in the bottom of your bag, it'll be loud(er) when it's plugged into your dash because of the stereo's amp.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
^^^ Bingo...the ringer volume control will also transfer through the car speakers...when I'm in my car, i usually set the ringer volume to about half way, and it remedies this issue of the blaring text's, emails and other notifications through the car speakers.

Grabber5.0

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I wish Apple would add a separate Bluetooth volume setting to iOS. I always forget to turn down the ringer volume web I connect to a Bluetooth device. I'm quite sure my previous phone had this.

Edit: I just re-read the post a couple back.. It sure don't seem like my 5 remembers the ringer volume for Bluetooth separately from the normal ringer volume.

BergerKing

May 10, 2013
Visit site
One of the notifications I have on my phone is an air raid siren for Emergency Alerts. The latest Amber Alert that hit my phone as I was listening to a baseball game almost required a shorts change.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I wish Apple would add a separate Bluetooth volume setting to iOS. I always forget to turn down the ringer volume web I connect to a Bluetooth device. I'm quite sure my previous phone had this.

Edit: I just re-read the post a couple back.. It sure don't seem like my 5 remembers the ringer volume for Bluetooth separately from the normal ringer volume.
I didn't say that BT remembers the ringer volume separately, I said it remembers its own volume separately. Earpiece/Wired/Bluetooth/Speaker(/USB?) each remember their own master volumes separately.

Well, technically, what I've found is that it's the media volume that's remembered.

But still, all you have to do is adjust the ringer volume when you switch outputs if one is too loud compared to the others.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro