The new Google iPhone.

mynameis

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Okay, we all know that there isn't a google iPhone. But that would be sweet. But google has been getting their little paws into the integration of the iPhone every way possible lately. I love it. The fact that I have the classy look and feel of the iPhone, yet running pretty much all google is awesome. So how do you guys feel about it? What else do you think google is going to bring to the iPhone?

Let the discussion begin.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I think it's great. Google Maps, Gmail, and Google Now are all the best in the business and work amazingly on the iPhone. The Gmail app is great, just needs a few more enhancements to be perfect. Google has come a long way in making iPhone apps and they are quickly advancing to make some of the best available. Bring on the Google services to my iPhone, please!

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

mynameis

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Exactly my thoughts. Now all I need is iOS 7 so the new jailbreak can come out and then I can jailbreak my phone. Because then I can hide all the default Apple apps (mail, maps, etc.) That will make me super happy.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Helpful tools to be certain for some users...personally, the only one of the 3 that I've actually kept on my iPhone with any regular usage is the Gmail app, and even there i know that iOS 7 will bring further polishing of the mail center, which will probably eliminate the need for the additional app. Apple will also obviously focus a great deal of attention on the maps app (which, at least in my situation, has worked fantastic since release)...and Google Now, while cool in many ways, is not some mysterious setup, it's simply a centralized core for many functions the iPhone already does outside of Google Now.

Not to take anything away from these Google apps, they are great tools and very useful on the market, but let's be real here, nothing on there is irreplaceable, or beyond a simple refresh of the existing Apple counter part. Does that mean you'll stop using the Google tools listed? Of course not, but many of us wont have any use for them after the release of iOS 7 seeing how the apps progress from version to version. It's always good to have options though...

mynameis

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Helpful tools to be certain for some users...personally, the only one of the 3 that I've actually kept on my iPhone with any regular usage is the Gmail app, and even there i know that iOS 7 will bring further polishing of the mail center, which will probably eliminate the need for the additional app. Apple will also obviously focus a great deal of attention on the maps app (which, at least in my situation, has worked fantastic since release)...and Google Now, while cool in many ways, is not some mysterious setup, it's simply a centralized core for many functions the iPhone already does outside of Google Now.

Not to take anything away from these Google apps, they are great tools and very useful on the market, but let's be real here, nothing on there is irreplaceable, or beyond a simple refresh of the existing Apple counter part. Does that mean you'll stop using the Google tools listed? Of course not, but many of us wont have any use for them after the release of iOS 7 seeing how the apps progress from version to version. It's always good to have options though...

You have a very valid point. I have to see what iOS 7 brings. I know that it's going to be a great update and maybe I won't have to use any of the other google apps. If Apple polishes everything up, maybe I won't want to use the google clients. I am very excited about the new OS. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Being able to use the iPhone and still allow users to access information that is not associated with Apple is beneficial to both Apple and the user, whether we're talking Google, Microsoft, Yahoo or AOL services, to name a few. Personally, I use the following Google products on my iPhone 5: Chrome, Voice & Authenticator (Dropbox uses this, too). Although I do have a gmail account, I'm *currently* using the Mailbox app to access it.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I think it's great. Google Maps, Gmail, and Google Now are all the best in the business and work amazingly on the iPhone. The Gmail app is great, just needs a few more enhancements to be perfect. Google has come a long way in making iPhone apps and they are quickly advancing to make some of the best available. Bring on the Google services to my iPhone, please!

Meh. Of everything you mention, the only one I find useful is Google Maps, and only because the Apple Maps app sucks harder than Hoover powered by a black hole.

Gmail? I hardly use it, but it's accessible, integrated and fully usable via the built-in Mail app.
Google Now? Don't use it, don't need it, don't want it.
Google Calendar? It's added to the built-in calendar as an account. Though I use CalenGoo for actual usage because the functionality is better on both iPad and iPhone and the UI is better on the iPhone.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Okay, we all know that there isn't a google iPhone. But that would be sweet. But google has been getting their little paws into the integration of the iPhone every way possible lately. I love it. The fact that I have the classy look and feel of the iPhone, yet running pretty much all google is awesome. So how do you guys feel about it? What else do you think google is going to bring to the iPhone?

Let the discussion begin.

Doesn't matter. You don't have to use any of it if you don't want, unlike Android. If you want Google services on your phone then great. If not then Apple has you covered. Choice is great.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I just want my Gmail to work as push on my Apple Mail native app!

Yep. That's one of the many reasons we need more Google integration. It gives us more choice for the best services available.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I just want my Gmail to work as push on my Apple Mail native app!

Maybe iOS 7 will bring that capability. I sure hope so.
Google maps is good, as is Apple maps, but I use neither. I see no sense in it for me, as I have a 5" Garmin Nuvi that I use for navigation.
Google Now is great, and I hope that it gets more useful in iOS 7 (notifications?).
I do use Google calendar.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
In regard to "push", how many people really *need* push email as opposed to push notifications of email?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's really useful to get it pushed, as opposed to getting mail every 15 minutes.

I understand, but that's not what I was referring to -- Push notifications of awaiting email that you then retrieve vs the actual email being pushed to your device. I would argue that the former is sufficient for a great deal of users.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I must be confused about push notifications (I am easily confused). I get notified of Gmail every 15 minutes, and it is then that I can retrieve the messages.
The Gmail app notifies me instantly, but I had rather use the iOS mail app.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I must be confused about push notifications (I am easily confused). I get notified of Gmail every 15 minutes, and it is then that I can retrieve the messages.
The Gmail app notifies me instantly, but I had rather use the iOS mail app.

Currently, I'm testing the Mailbox app and I have it configured for my gmail. When I receive a message, I am immediately notified (push notifications), however, the actual message is not retrieved until I select it view it. With push mail, you are immediately notified and the awaiting message is already retrieved for viewing.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the Gmail app for push. I played with Mailbox for a little bit, but I forget which swipe does what. I must be getting old!
If Google and Apple would get together on a solution for push on the native email, that would be great.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I honestly don't see any downsides to this, for either Google or Apple.

In years past, a person who was a heavy user of Google services either had to choose between keeping those on an Android phone, or give them up if they really wanted an iPhone.

Now, they don't have to choose. They can get full use of Google services on either platform. Win for Google, and win for Apple for not making users choose between Apple's hardware and Google's services.

It's not like Apple is competing for the same services as Google. While there are a few Apple equivalent versions of some Google services, I don't believe Apple loses money due to people using Chrome, Gmail, Google Now, and Maps on an iPhone, do they? If people are buying iPhones and using Chrome over Safari, Drive and Gmail over iCloud, etc does Apple even take a revenue hit over that?

Yes, I know that a lot of people here don't use Google's services, and you're not being forced to. However there's more than a few that do, and are now able to give Apple money for their devices without having to give those services up. What's the downside?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods