Switching back to the iPhone 5: Why the HTC One grass wasn't greener

Richard Devine

iMore staff
Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
A great discussion has sparked up over in the Android Central Forums, started by a member that switched from iPhone 5, to HTC One and back again within 2 weeks. Member fettym outlined some great points as to why they ultimately decided to stick with the iPhone, as well as some of the more positive aspects of the HTC One.

We've featured this on the main blogs here, but wanted to jump in and bring the discussion over to the iMore Forums. Have you switched to another platform? Did you switch back? What made you make the jump in the first place? What made you come back?

Let us know either here in this thread, or in the comments on the post!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
A whole blog for this? lol...i checked out the original post, and no offense, but we see those posts over here every week by the hands full...people venturing to other devices and coming back to the iPhone. And then the posts on AC, the elitists talking about how the issue is most likely the "learning curve" going from the iPhone to the HTC One...lol, are you kidding me? They actually believe there's some higher knowledge in the Android OS user base?

No offense, but this cross threading amongst the communities is a little silly sometimes, this being one of them.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
They always come back! bwwaaaahhhhaaa :)

Back in the day.. I switched from BlackBerry to Android, then back to BlackBerry. But I have not switched from iOS.. And really don't plan to

Kevtrinh

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't care much about large screen phones and customization. So I don't any reason to switch to android. Staying with the iphone 5 and enjoying its one- handed usage and iOS stability.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
A whole blog for this? lol...i checked out the original post, and no offense, but we see those posts over here every week by the hands full...people venturing to other devices and coming back to the iPhone. And then the posts on AC, the elitists talking about how the issue is most likely the "learning curve" going from the iPhone to the HTC One...lol, are you kidding me? They actually believe there's some higher knowledge in the Android OS user base?

No offense, but this cross threading amongst the communities is a little silly sometimes, this being one of them.

Right Sean!? There's multiple threads over on the S4 and HTC One forums with this same topic. The Android snobs like to put us iOS users down because we enjoy using a stable and fluid OS with quality apps and that we must be stupid because we'd rather use iOS. I admit I used to be on the Android side dogging iPhone like crazy but I came back and don't miss Android at all. Although I have been keeping up on the One and S4.

What I find funny is watching those threads especially the bug thread which has like 16 pages of numerous crazy bugs and faults. Don't recall seeing that for iOS or the iPhone.

Sent from the collector home world.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
I know of no one who had left and not come back to iPhone, or left and was disappointed by other offerings.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Years back, I switched from a Blackberry to an iPhone 3G and then switched back to a Blackberry (Bold 9000). That was the last time I went from one platform to another just to return and it will probably be a while before I even change platforms again because I'm content with the iPhone and iOS.

revtech

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I think this must be a new plan for mobile nations as a whole. Over at CB a forum post was recenntly used as a basis for a blog article and Kevin said they planned to do this more often to highlight and encourage thoughtful postings. Must be something that came out the pow-wows the editors had when they were together.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
so did they castrate the OP over there? sorry, did not read it

i read enough android bullshiit on Facebook and G+ all day

ups925

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I switched to iOS from blackberry. Had 4 different blackberries over the years. Loved the keyboards, ease of email, bbm and its utilitarianism features.

As iOS evolved, blackberry stayed the same. No lte / 4g berry in sight and my last bb (9850 torch) was a bit of a letdown. My bbm friends all ditched bb. Everyone else I knew with a bb didn't use bbm which is a powerful aspect of blackberries.

I moved to iOS partially because iMessage is automatically enabled and that nasty text limit is now gone. I don't care if most people disable read receipts, I like being able to say what I want without it getting fragmented. iOS also has FaceTime which is good for family use. Being able to jailbreak was the clincher. I ended up using my iPod touch for everything.

iChristos

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I switched to HTC One from an iPhone 5 too. The One is a beautiful phone. The build quality is amazing. I like the Zoe feature and the gallery view mode with the little videos that showcase the pictures.

The camera is not that great. The pics look amazing on the phone, however once you transfer them to your computer you can notice the 4 megapixel difference vs the iPhone's 8 megapixel camera.

Blink feed is not bad, however it still needs work. I wish I could customize it and add my own feeds. I love the HTC but I hate android. To me, android never looked polished. I miss how iPhone integrates with everything (music, pictures, iCloud etc). I have not switched back to iPhone yet... I love the HTC's bigger screen and solid build.

I am still trying to get used to android so I have decided to continue using it for the next little while.

revtech

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I switched to HTC One from an iPhone 5 too. The One is a beautiful phone. The build quality is amazing. I like the Zoe feature and the gallery view mode with the little videos that showcase the pictures.

The camera is not that great. The pics look amazing on the phone, however once you transfer them to your computer you can notice the 4 megapixel difference vs the iPhone's 8 megapixel camera.

Blink feed is not bad, however it still needs work. I wish I could customize it and add my own feeds. I love the HTC but I hate android. To me, android never looked polished. I miss how iPhone integrates with everything (music, pictures, iCloud etc). I have not switched back to iPhone yet... I love the HTC's bigger screen and solid build.

I am still trying to get used to android so I have decided to continue using it for the next little while.

Not doubting your experience, but just to point out that ip5 has 8 *mega*pixels and the htc one has 4 *ultra*pixels, so its not exactly a 4 megapixel difference as you stated.

Agpe17

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
iPhone 5 to DNA BACK to iPhone!

SO...

I've been a HUGE cell phone geek since I was a teenager. Loved every phone, got every Sidekick that ever came out.

My journey has taken me through ups and downs -- have had every version of the iPhone that's ever come out, and this is my proof that NOTHING will ever be as easy to use and just FLUID as iOS.

I left for the Droid DNA -- great phone, fantastic screen, great camera. But within a few weeks, I've noticed (as I ALWAYS do when leaving iOS!) that it's just...not..THERE. Android is still clunky, and STILL lags sometimes, and STILL restarts and presents basic, processing hiccups and issues. I've been done with it, so I'm selling my Droid on eBay right now! Picking up the white iPhone 5 with a Mophie from Verizon TONIGHT (which is making me LOSE my unlimited data!!!! I've had it for YEARS, and now I'm switching to the 5 GB -- I KNOW, but I can't keep buying outright forever, and I have an upgrade ready to use).

Just wanted to post my situation and thoughts on this topic, for anyone whose ever been in my situation, or WILL be. Don't leave iOS -- I ALWAYS regret it when I do! I left for the HTC 8X -- lack of apps brought me back. I've left for Android NUMEROUS times, with hopes they've cleaned their act up -- nope, here I am again.

iOS is just ole faithful...

tcorkum

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Check your specs the one has a 4 megapixel camera that is enhanced to offer much better quality than a standard 4 megapixel camera. iMore just did a comparison and it may be a tossup depending on when you take your photos.....low light goes to HTC One.
I switched from and HTC to IPhone 5 and have only a few regrets and they are more on Apples LTE/3G implementation.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Check your specs the one has a 4 megapixel camera that is enhanced to offer much better quality than a standard 4 megapixel camera. iMore just did a comparison and it may be a tossup depending on when you take your photos.....low light goes to HTC One.
I switched from and HTC to IPhone 5 and have only a few regrets and they are more on Apples LTE/3G implementation.

Elaborate on "Apple's" LTE/3G implementation? I'm a bit confused as to someone having a regret about such...

@revtech...you can see it pretty clearly that they are trying to sort of mesh the communities together with these, cross threading from forum to forum. I don't think it's going to have the results they think it will though, lol.

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I have an iPhone 4 and currently have an HTC One on order. I'm leaving for the bigger screen. I tried the iPhone 5 a while back but returned it because of the wifi issues. If I thought they had that fixed, I'd try another 5, but there still seems to be problems. I like the iPhone, sure there are a few things that annoy me, but overall I'm very happy with it. However, that large screen is just too tempting.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
looks like i won't be switching to the htc one now

Stop by your local carrier's store and check it out. As much as I do love my iphone 5, I would never let a review or forum members' opinions define whether I choose a particular phone. Especially when those views may be biased (afterall, we are members of an iphone forum). Who knows, for your own personal reasons and needs you may LOVE the HTC One.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234