Data Usage.....What is causing this issue??

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Before restoring the phone try just to reset all settings in the general - reset option. Also reset your data usage in the usage tab and without doing anything for a day see if it shows something. In addition to everything mentioned above there could be a culprit app that is draining the same. Can you also tell us some of the JB apps that you have loaded?

Please never give that advice to a jailbroken phone again?

rgm, it sounds like you took his advice prior to the post on your own. You can not use that option after you jailbreak. As you see, it does bad things. If you're booting back up, you're doing better than most after pressing that button.

I think you're misunderstanding or incorrectly stating things. You're confusing a factory restore with a hard reset. A hard reset is accomplished by holding the home and power keys until power recycles. There is not an update to the iOS when you do this. It's essentially the same as turning the power off and back on. The most useful time to run a hard reset is when the devices becomes unresponsive so you're unable to simply power it down.

A factory restore requires plugging into iTunes. It may require you placing your phone into DFU mode prior to plugging it in to work. Again, things go crazy when you hit that button. This WILL update your iOS. Currently, you'll update to 6.1.4 and lose your ability to jailbreak. It sounds like you've already decided this is your best option. A heads up, I'm on 14.1 for my carrier as well. I'm on Verizon jailbroken 6.1.2 as well. I've never seen an update offered for the carrier.

rgm1266

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Please never give that advice to a jailbroken phone again?

rgm, it sounds like you took his advice prior to the post on your own. You can not use that option after you jailbreak. As you see, it does bad things. If you're booting back up, you're doing better than most after pressing that button.

I think you're misunderstanding or incorrectly stating things. You're confusing a factory restore with a hard reset. A hard reset is accomplished by holding the home and power keys until power recycles. There is not an update to the iOS when you do this. It's essentially the same as turning the power off and back on. The most useful time to run a hard reset is when the devices becomes unresponsive so you're unable to simply power it down.

A factory restore requires plugging into iTunes. It may require you placing your phone into DFU mode prior to plugging it in to work. Again, things go crazy when you hit that button. This WILL update your iOS. Currently, you'll update to 6.1.4 and lose your ability to jailbreak. It sounds like you've already decided this is your best option. A heads up, I'm on 14.1 for my carrier as well. I'm on Verizon jailbroken 6.1.2 as well. I've never seen an update offered for the carrier.

natasftw..Thanks for the advice. Here's what I found out. I spoke with an awesome tech at VZW yesterday. He pulled up my account and data usage. He noticed that the new yahoo weather app has been constantly pinging from my phone. He said that app is likely the culprit of my high data usage. He also went back a few more days and noticed that Google Currents is also doing the same thing as yahoo Weather app. So what I did was deleted almsot all my apps, then ran icleaner. I restored my apps and then ran icleaner again. CHA-CHING!!! I've been looking at my data usage app and no unusual high data. It works great on Wifi, and when I'm on LTE, the data usage looks low. I also check the VZW website just to make sure the data is correct and it almost matches what the data usage app says. Checked again this morning and everything looks good. So it must have been a corrupted app or something. Key point, when I first talked to the tech, he mentioned that VZW has had issues with the iphone keep accurate data usage. So if other people are having issues, I would recommend as someone told me, you need to call VZW. The tech also gave me 2gigs free to my acct just in case there was an issue and I had to call back the next day for further assistance. If any VZW employees out there, the tech who helped me yesterday (Tyrone), was AWESOME!!

Thanks for everyone's help!!! I'll let you know if anything changes.

ups925

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I was going to suggest seeing what apps / emails are constantly pulling data. I changed my email settings so only my main one pushes emails, and the rest only refresh when I open the mail app. I also just use the apple weather. I installed a weather widget and noticed my data is higher than normal, even though its just a widget of the apple weather. Ill see it updating every time I unlock my device. Not sure if I want to keep it or not. Im currently halfway into my billing month and my data is just over half used up.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Good to hear. I'll have to keep an eye on my data as I have the same app installed.

I'm curious. I don't think it was ever addressed. Did the data usage listed in your settings match with the Verizon statement?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Awesome news that this was rectified for you, and while it wasn't directly related to VZW, staying on them yielded you a result...THIS is the most important aspect for people in the future that want to hand a data overage issue. STAY ON THE CARRIER! Their job is to help you with your service...it's the ONLY reason they are there.

scottabutler

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Please excuse my ignorance, I am an Android user, but my daughter just started having a major data usage issue and I need some help. As mentioned above, is there a way to check how much data an app is using from your iphone? It is very easy to do on an Android phone but I haven't been able to figure out how to do it on iOS. Thanks.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen