Splish-splash I was taking a bath - whoops!

Grabber5.0

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Ok not actually! I was filling the tub for my 7 yr old last week and I had my iPhone in the front pocket of my hoodie. Normally I'm very careful when it's in there, esp around water, but not this time. As I leaned to do something, it slipped out of my pocket and into the tub. With lightning fast reflexes I scooped it out and powered it off, then removed my case to shake all of the water out. Surprisingly very little came out. The case is an Otterbox Commuter and the port covers must have kept most of the water out. I have to be honest, I took a chance and powered it on after about 30 minutes because I hadn't made a backup in a while. It powered on fine and I backed it up and powered it back off (I know, I know, highly not recommended! :) ). I let it dry for about 24 hours before powering it on again. During that time I placed it on a warm surface in various positions to ensure any evaporating water could escape. There have been no ill effects from the short swim in the tub. It has been a week and everything is working normally. I was fully prepared to have to make use of my AppleCare+ already..

Just wanted to share my positive experience and a warning. Don't try this to see if you'll be as lucky as me. :D

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Nice! Be grateful, my friend. The next iPhone swim will cost you dearly...lol

Nolander07

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Good to hear. Last year I dropped my iPhone 4 in a puddle and it was completely submerged for a second or two. I just turned it off, dried it off and waited about 12 hours to turn it back on. It worked fine afterwards and I used it for months. My son is using it as an iPod now.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Food for thought going forward. It's not LESS likely to get you the backup if you let it dry out before powering on than it is if you power it on quickly for the backup and back off.

If the backup is your only reason to power back on, you're better off waiting.

anon(5895641)

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Well you did have an otterbox so it would have been pretty bad if it didn't survive. I personally never dropped my iPhone into a pool of water but I did drop an ipod nano 2nd gen in a full puddle of rain water & i picked it up and continued using it like nothing happened. Besides the iPod being wet it worked perfectly.

nitinparmar1985

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
That is lukcy, im sure it was the lightning fast reflexes that saved the phone and not the case at all ha

fingers crossed its still running smoooooth :)

Grabber5.0

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Yep, still running smooth. I give the case a lot of credit.

I think this phone has a strange attraction for water! I have never had an issue before dropping my phone in water (but then I've always kept them in holsters on my belt). Last night I was leaning down checking under a friend's car to see the damage they did running over a median in a parking lot, and it slipped out of my jacket pocket and landed face up in a puddle. This time I didn't bother turning it off. Just shook and wiped it off and stuck it in my jeans pocket. :/

I need to find a holster that is big enough to fit my Otterbox Commuter inside, and stop being lazy and putting my phone into loose pockets until then!

Stay tuned for the next episode of "Grabber dropped his iPhone in water!" :D

-- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mij9895

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
That's why I bought an Otterbox Armor for my iPhone 5. I can't risk dropping this phone in water like my 3Gs, twice. Fried the first one and still have the 2nd

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

cornettbr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Desiccant pellets or silica gel (those packets that are in shoes and beef jerky that say do not eat) work 10x faster and more effectively than rice and you can get it cheap from hobby stores.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
This is why I have my i5 in a lifeproof case, a friend of mine who recently bought an i5 at full retail (to keep her unlimited VZW data) I pretty much made her get one to stick on her i5 and what happened the very next day ?!?! It went for a swim in the kitchen sink lol I'm still being thanked for making her buy that case ... glad your i5 survived it's swim with less protection ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner