iPhone 5 would be great, if....

cornettbr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Who ever said apple isn't laughing at other phones because they don't need to... Well they sure are worried because in the last few years they've sued every cellphone manufacturer in the world for general "patent" violations. Either to a. Delay sales or b. they were worried about those phones in some of their higher concentrated markets.

Last edited:

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Who ever said apple isn't laughing at other phones because they don't need to... Well they sure are worried because in the last few years they've sued every cellphone manufacturer in the world for general "patent" violations. Either to a. Delay sales or b. they were worried about those phones in some of their higher concentrated markets.

It's hard to take you seriously. Patents are patents. If you think the lawsuits are silly, the sarcastic quotes would go around "patent violations." If you're not grasping that, odds are you don't understand the lawsuits nor their intent either.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
That's why I like the size and shape of the Blackberry Z10...easily handled with one hand

I was more pointing out that apple is crazy excited about iPhone being a device designed for one hand. The post I replied to complained that he can only type well with one hand and feels cramped with two. Based on that, there was a need for increased width.

Ignoring that you can easily turn the phone for a two handed keyboard, it seems to be a wasted argument when considering how proud apple is of the one handed size.

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
One other thing I can think of to respond to the OP: ...the keyboard wasn't always displayed in all caps. Why on earth is it? I've tried to think of a logical reason for that, but I couldn't come up with any.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Every company in the game was suing each other for the same crap, it wasn't just Apple...so your logic is flawed from the start by singling them out as if they were "scared" about sharing the market.

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
...the screen was wider instead of just longer. That's the main reason i feel like it's not worth getting one. If they would've just added a little width, I'd probably own one already. It's basically no different than my 4S. Anyone else feel the same way?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...the screen was wider instead of just longer. That's the main reason i feel like it's not worth getting one. If they would've just added a little width, I'd probably own one already. It's basically no different than my 4S. Anyone else feel the same way?
I was one of the people months ago who expressed that I would have liked to see the display of the iPhone 5 a tad wider and although I understood why Apple choose to increase the size length-wise, I didn't think it was worth their time. Now that I actually have the iPhone 5, I can say for certainty that the extra real estate in length has been beneficial. Not much, but just beneficial. Do I still prefer a slightly wider display? I'm so content with my iPhone 5 to the point where I really don't know any more. Could it benefit users to have a slightly wider display? Of course, it could.

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I was one of the people months ago who expressed that I would have liked to see the display of the iPhone 5 a tad wider and although I understood why Apple choose to increase the size length-wise, I didn't think it was worth their time. Now that I actually have the iPhone 5, I can say for certainty that the extra real estate in length has been beneficial. Not much, but just beneficial. Do I still prefer a slightly wider display? I'm so content with my iPhone 5 to the point where I really don't know any more. Could it benefit users to have a slightly wider display? Of course, it could.

Right now that's the only thing holding me back. I'd like to stick with apple but i've been considering android lately because of the screen sizes they offer. The only problem is I feel like I'd be lost trying to figure out an android phone. I still have a little while to make up my mind.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Right now that's the only thing holding me back. I'd like to stick with apple but i've been considering android lately because of the screen sizes they offer. The only problem is I feel like I'd be lost trying to figure out an android phone. I still have a little while to make up my mind.

A learning curve (small or large) is expected with any device. That's a given, however, it's always a good idea to physically handle a device you're considering to buy. I'm invested in the Apple ecosystem, but that does not keep me tied down to Apple products, however, to date, Apple has provided for all of my smartphone & tablet needs and therefore, I have no intentions of going elsewhere any time soon.

spark032207#WN

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Bigger screen. Yes, the iPhone screen is perfect for one handed use. But most people, I would guess, type much more often with two hands on the iPhone. It's just faster. And the longer length of iPhone 5 makes one handed use a stretch for some people already anyway. I would love a 4.3-4.5" iPhone.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
The top and bottom parts of the bezel house the camera, home button, speakers, etc. get rid of that, where would you put those things?

I'd also argue there's nothing on the market that looks as modern as an iPhone 5. Absolutely nothing plastic especially.

=)

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I think it's great that one handed typing is easy. I just think it would be better for me if it were a bit more two thumb happy. If the video said "This new feature makes it even easier to type two handed", it would have been more appealing to me. They already had a good one handed experience.

I guess I'm just confused. Currently, you can use it one handed when the home button is down or you can opt to twist it and get two handed typing where the keys are enlarged and designed for two hands.

You think it'd be better if you had a little wider so the buttons would increase, to a size smaller than the current landscape keys, so that you can type two handed in both directions and one handed in neither.

Rather than choice, you want only one manageable way to operate the phone... and that's an improvement?