Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 71 of 71
Like Tree55Likes
  1. #51  
    finn5975's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,494 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,517 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 5 would be great, if....

    Quote Originally Posted by sir.dangerfield View Post
    One handed typing comes in handy when I probably shouldn't be typing at all.
    There's a lot of truth to that. At least when it comes to me. Perhaps I should reevaluate my stance on one-handed use.
  2. #52  
    natasftw's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,356 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,359 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 5 would be great, if....

    Quote Originally Posted by sir.dangerfield View Post
    I hope not. Important as one handed typing is, I am much more efficient typing with two hands/thumbs than with one. One handed typing comes in handy when I probably shouldn't be typing at all.


    Start it at ~39 seconds.
  3. #53  
    HartfordWhalers's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 5 would be great, if....

    Quote Originally Posted by 03_CTD View Post
    Cut the Z10 user some slack. It takes so long for the phone to switch to landscape mode he probably forgot that function even existed!
    Actually it turns plenty fast...perhaps you experienced a faulty unit. Mine works great.
  4. #54  
    sir.dangerfield's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 5 would be great, if....

    Quote Originally Posted by natasftw View Post


    Start it at ~39 seconds.
    I think it's great that one handed typing is easy. I just think it would be better for me if it were a bit more two thumb happy. If the video said "This new feature makes it even easier to type two handed", it would have been more appealing to me. They already had a good one handed experience.
  5. #55  
    rewNATION's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    438 Posts
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 5 would be great, if....

    ...the screen was wider instead of just longer. That's the main reason i feel like it's not worth getting one. If they would've just added a little width, I'd probably own one already. It's basically no different than my 4S. Anyone else feel the same way?
  6. #56  

    Default Re: iPhone 5 would be great, if....

    Quote Originally Posted by rewNATION View Post
    ...the screen was wider instead of just longer. That's the main reason i feel like it's not worth getting one. If they would've just added a little width, I'd probably own one already. It's basically no different than my 4S. Anyone else feel the same way?
    I was one of the people months ago who expressed that I would have liked to see the display of the iPhone 5 a tad wider and although I understood why Apple choose to increase the size length-wise, I didn't think it was worth their time. Now that I actually have the iPhone 5, I can say for certainty that the extra real estate in length has been beneficial. Not much, but just beneficial. Do I still prefer a slightly wider display? I'm so content with my iPhone 5 to the point where I really don't know any more. Could it benefit users to have a slightly wider display? Of course, it could.
  7. #57  
    rewNATION's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    438 Posts
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 5 would be great, if....

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    I was one of the people months ago who expressed that I would have liked to see the display of the iPhone 5 a tad wider and although I understood why Apple choose to increase the size length-wise, I didn't think it was worth their time. Now that I actually have the iPhone 5, I can say for certainty that the extra real estate in length has been beneficial. Not much, but just beneficial. Do I still prefer a slightly wider display? I'm so content with my iPhone 5 to the point where I really don't know any more. Could it benefit users to have a slightly wider display? Of course, it could.
    Right now that's the only thing holding me back. I'd like to stick with apple but i've been considering android lately because of the screen sizes they offer. The only problem is I feel like I'd be lost trying to figure out an android phone. I still have a little while to make up my mind.
  8. #58  

    Default Re: iPhone 5 would be great, if....

    Quote Originally Posted by rewNATION View Post
    Right now that's the only thing holding me back. I'd like to stick with apple but i've been considering android lately because of the screen sizes they offer. The only problem is I feel like I'd be lost trying to figure out an android phone. I still have a little while to make up my mind.
    A learning curve (small or large) is expected with any device. That's a given, however, it's always a good idea to physically handle a device you're considering to buy. I'm invested in the Apple ecosystem, but that does not keep me tied down to Apple products, however, to date, Apple has provided for all of my smartphone & tablet needs and therefore, I have no intentions of going elsewhere any time soon.
  9. #59  
    spark032207#WN's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 5 would be great, if....

    Bigger screen. Yes, the iPhone screen is perfect for one handed use. But most people, I would guess, type much more often with two hands on the iPhone. It's just faster. And the longer length of iPhone 5 makes one handed use a stretch for some people already anyway. I would love a 4.3-4.5" iPhone.
  10. #60  
    tomdri's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    2 Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 5 would be great, if....

    If it was just a tiny bit bigger
  11. #61  
    Rene Ritchie's Avatar
    iMore Actual

    Posts
    1,925 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,490 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 5 would be great, if....

    The top and bottom parts of the bezel house the camera, home button, speakers, etc. get rid of that, where would you put those things?

    I'd also argue there's nothing on the market that looks as modern as an iPhone 5. Absolutely nothing plastic especially.

    =)
  12. #62  
    natasftw's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,356 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,359 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 5 would be great, if....

    Quote Originally Posted by sir.dangerfield View Post
    I think it's great that one handed typing is easy. I just think it would be better for me if it were a bit more two thumb happy. If the video said "This new feature makes it even easier to type two handed", it would have been more appealing to me. They already had a good one handed experience.
    I guess I'm just confused. Currently, you can use it one handed when the home button is down or you can opt to twist it and get two handed typing where the keys are enlarged and designed for two hands.

    You think it'd be better if you had a little wider so the buttons would increase, to a size smaller than the current landscape keys, so that you can type two handed in both directions and one handed in neither.

    Rather than choice, you want only one manageable way to operate the phone... and that's an improvement?
  13. #63  
    mountainman_im's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 5 would be great, if....

    Quote Originally Posted by Rene Ritchie View Post
    The top and bottom parts of the bezel house the camera, home button, speakers, etc. get rid of that, where would you put those things?

    I'd also argue there's nothing on the market that looks as modern as an iPhone 5. Absolutely nothing plastic especially.

    =)
    Thanks Rene - you are right. Not kissing your **** here, but the iPhone is just a marvel of a smartphone, with it's premium materials. There is nothing like it. Yeah - HTC One - it runs android - that's really against it.

    I hope that iOS7 stays true. It should be easy enough for an 80 year old grandma, as it is for a 4 year old, as well as a middle aged tech geek. It just works because of the superior keyboard, app ecosystem and consistently, and form factor/build quality. It is the measuring stick by which all smartphones are measured. For something that you use everyday, multiple times a day, and you rely on for waking up, appointments, and whatnot, it is the perfect device - IMO.

    I would probably buy a bigger screen iPhone. Apple should give us a choice. It does with the iPad. Why not with the iPhone?
  14. #64  
    sir.dangerfield's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 5 would be great, if....

    Quote Originally Posted by natasftw View Post
    I guess I'm just confused. Currently, you can use it one handed when the home button is down or you can opt to twist it and get two handed typing where the keys are enlarged and designed for two hands.

    You think it'd be better if you had a little wider so the buttons would increase, to a size smaller than the current landscape keys, so that you can type two handed in both directions and one handed in neither.

    Rather than choice, you want only one manageable way to operate the phone... and that's an improvement?
    I do think it would be better if the keys were a little bigger in portrait because that is my primary typing position and typing a primary function. For thumb typing, I find the distance between "A" and "L" too great in landscape and usually leaves a sliver of usable screen on any smartphone. So with the current design, I don't have the best options either. Considering all the happy users on other less narrow devices and the improvement of one hand typing software, I think even with a few millimeters more width, the iPhone would be far from unusable one handed. A wider display would give me a better everyday typing experience and matched with a few software additions, one handed typing might get better too.
  15. #65  
    Droidrage729's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    102 Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 5 would be great, if....

    I wouldn't want the iphone bigger part if the reason i got one was for the 4 inch form. I guess software update would be good.
  16. #66  
    natasftw's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,356 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,359 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 5 would be great, if....

    Quote Originally Posted by sir.dangerfield View Post
    I do think it would be better if the keys were a little bigger in portrait because that is my primary typing position and typing a primary function. For thumb typing, I find the distance between "A" and "L" too great in landscape and usually leaves a sliver of usable screen on any smartphone. So with the current design, I don't have the best options either. Considering all the happy users on other less narrow devices and the improvement of one hand typing software, I think even with a few millimeters more width, the iPhone would be far from unusable one handed. A wider display would give me a better everyday typing experience and matched with a few software additions, one handed typing might get better too.
    You wouldn't notice a few mm worth of difference, no matter what you'd convince yourself. But, it'd create dev problems. Something I've heard from android users is they're frustrated Google has smoother apps on iPhone than on android devices. This is because there isn't a maze of development requirements to make apps work across different screens and phones and hardware sets etc.

    If you'd like an android screen, go get one. Fragmenting iOS by creating more and more resolution requirements isn't a beneficial thing so you can talk yourself into believing you notice a difference.

    You bring up all of the "happy users on other less narrow devices." This is the same fundamentally flawed argument that comes here frequently. I could just as easily point out the "happy users on the equally narrow iPhone" devices that would disagree. I can point out the happy people using older phones that were even more narrow. Regardless, to "consider" any group ignores the other groups who are also happy as if only one group's happiness matters.

    I want you to think about this. There are roughly two pixels per mm. There are 9 buttons across the middle row of the keyboard. At 5mm, that's only 1 pixel per button. ONE pixel. You'd make a better argument by suggesting using the free space to either side to create more space between keys than you would by saying a 1pixel increase mandates a new resolution.
  17. #67  
    sir.dangerfield's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 5 would be great, if....

    I do notice a few millimeters now. You seemed to convince yourself that mm's don't matter, but thats what mostly differentiates the exterior of all the full touch phones these days. You're saying the reason iPhone has a smoother app experience than Android is because of the screen size and I disagree. I think iPhone is smoother because it's OS is designed better.
    To recommend Android because they have a bigger screens seems like a bad idea, considering Android is my least favorite OS. Apple has changed the resolution on each new device, so Apple isn't opposed to it. When they made the iPhone 5 taller I noticed and it took very little convincing.
    I never said iPhone users were un-happy, I brought up "happy users" because you claimed a wider phone would make one handed typing impossible. My current phone is a little wider than the iPhone and I can type one handed and two handed even better.
    I never said how many millimeters I would like them to widen it, so even though I appreciate your hard work, I'm afraid the math was unnecessary.

    If Apple could somehow give us a noticeably wider screen, I would be more likely to use an iPhone again. What would you change for the iPhone 6?
  18. #68  
    natasftw's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,356 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,359 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 5 would be great, if....

    I think you may want to read what I said again.

    Millimeters only matter in some contexts. In the context where you'd gain one millimeter for a button, they are irrelevant. In context of a full screen, they can have some value. You're looking at the big picture and ignoring what you ACTUALLY want them for.

    I'm saying the lack of fragmentation makes iOS easier to develop software for. What started as one resolution quickly became more. The 5 brought it up a bit, yes. Now, imagine if each iteration of a device changes resolution. Soon, you'll have several different interface design requirements for the iPhone, one for the iPad, another for the iPad mini. You're looking at a hassle that leads to fragmentation. Look at android and what the varying requirements do with developers and how that impacts software.

    I never once claimed a wider phone would make it impossible. Even if I had, your point wasn't relevant. I'm happy with my television. It cannot be typed on, with one hand or two. I'm happy with my computer. The keyboard was definitely not designed for one-handed typing. Here's what I DID state. I stated they were proud of not changing the width because they thought it made for a better one-handed typing experience.

    You did state "even with a few millimeters of width." You said this in the context that those few millimeters would improve your typing experience. Math may be hard for you. If so, I'm sorry. That was rather easy math. It was necessary to put your claim into context. Your claim, once the math was considered, was that increasing the keyboard buttons by a single millimeter would make them more clickable as if you're able to notice the 0.5mm difference.

    You bring up tying two-handed even better. That's where my "claim" mattered. I claimed that they were proud that they left the phone in a way designed to make it one-handed rather than two. I made the claim based on the way they presented it in their video.

    Count me with the millions of iPhone users who are happy with the screen not being turned into a tablet. I'm plenty capable of buying a tablet if I'd prefer it to a phone.

    I'm much less worried about how they change the phone itself. Their best chance for improvement deals in iOS. Softening some of the restrictions would open up space for devs to be more creative. Their creativity would open up the phone to be something more. Either way, there's nothing that the 6 could possibly have that would make me feel the need to upgrade currently.
  19. #69  
    theKHMERboy's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    414 Posts
    Global Posts
    896 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 5 would be great, if....

    I am comfortable and like the size and shape n build of the ip5 but it would be cool if it had a similar shape to what the ip3 use to have but a better quality build.. But not like the ip5 is good already
  20. #70  
    kobe24b's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 5 would be great, if....

    if..... it had iOS 7 right now. Im kind of bored with iOS 6.
  21. #71  
    Jrome.brooks's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    707 Posts
    Global Posts
    904 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 5 would be great, if....

    "Breaks open popcorn" this debate is exciting lol
    We all know the 5s is going to look the same as the 5 but with more megapixels on the camera brighter display and a surprise function oh yeah os7 the iPhone is a great device as is wait for the iPhone 6 for change in screen "maybe"
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Iphone takes way to long to respring.. Help would be appreciated
    By AngelOfFate in forum iPhone 3GS Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-13-2011, 06:18 PM
  2. Will iPhone 4 be slow If I fill up the 16gb?
    By xxDruMMer BoYxx in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-13-2010, 10:48 AM
  3. What firmware would be on a new iphone 3gs?
    By philly#IM in forum iPhone 3GS Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-17-2010, 08:51 AM
  4. What Would Be The *Killer* Game to Make the iPhone...?
    By Rene Ritchie in forum iPhone Apps & Games
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-21-2010, 12:52 PM

Posting Permissions