Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Exclamation Iphone water wont turn on jailbroken

Well after having my iphone for 5 days in rice it didn't turn on not even the apple or anything. I have applecare+ ....when I send in my iPhone will they be able to tell its been jailbroken and void my warranty?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Default Re: Iphone water wont turn on jailbroken

If it won't turn on they'll never know.
    Thanked by:
    crvntscndy (04-26-2013)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    9,174 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

It doesn't really matter anyways because of the nature of the warranty exchange...but like Alli said, there's no way of knowing if it doesn't come on. And even if it did come on, the phone has water damage (which will be obvious by the indicators) so even jailbroken, they won't deny your claim. On the off chance they did (which wouldn't happen but we'll hypothetically say they did), they'd send it back to you, you could restore it back to stock (and at that point, they would not be able to tell) and then make another warranty claim without the jailbreak.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    Thanked by:
    crvntscndy (04-26-2013)
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Nanite

Ok thanks,

Also since i couldn't turn it on I couldn't clear it up...does this also mean no one will have access to my information, lets say if they ever used that phone as a refurbished replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    If it won't turn on they'll never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    It doesn't really matter anyways because of the nature of the warranty exchange...but like Alli said, there's no way of knowing if it doesn't come on. And even if it did come on, the phone has water damage (which will be obvious by the indicators) so even jailbroken, they won't deny your claim. On the off chance they did (which wouldn't happen but we'll hypothetically say they did), they'd send it back to you, you could restore it back to stock (and at that point, they would not be able to tell) and then make another warranty claim without the jailbreak.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

If they are finally able to turn it on they will restore it as new, so all your data will be deleted.
    Thanked by:
    crvntscndy (04-26-2013)
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,380 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crvntscndy View Post
    Well after having my iphone for 5 days in rice it didn't turn on not even the apple or anything. I have applecare+ ....when I send in my iPhone will they be able to tell its been jailbroken and void my warranty?
    you need to tell them it fell into a toilet. Seriously, as I posted in your other thread, it is considered a biohazard if it fell into a toilet even if you think that the toilet was clean.

Let apple decide if they want you to send them a phone that fell into a toilet or not. Asurion does not want you to do that because of the potential risk to their workers. I suspect apple does not want you to do that, either.
    iMore Intermediate

Just a few thoughts, does iTunes recognize it when pugged in ?
    If so, they may be able to get info from it, i.e., if it is jailbroken, which BTW I did not know, does not void the warranty
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    4,310 Global Posts

Major bummer. Last I knew jail broken phones weren't more susceptible to water damage, so no reason for it to void your warranty.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    187 Global Posts

Should be fine with it not turning on. Happened to me once. They don't even check it.