Purchasing an iphone 5

revtech

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on an iphone (thanks to all of you here who have been so helpful :) )

I'm wondering if there is any advantage (or disadvantage) as to where I purchase the phone. I'm 3 hours from the nearest apple store, if that is the best route I'm sure I can get there sometime.

Otherwise I'm guessing my options are the verizon store, best buy, apple online store, or . . ? I usually shop by price but it seems like an iphone costs the same wherever one buys it; so I'm just checking to see if there is an advantage or disadvantage one way or another that I'm not aware of.

Thanks

Harley_guy

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Really doesn't matter where you buy it. They are all the same phones and all cost same at every store. Good luck and welcome to the Apple side.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on an iphone (thanks to all of you here who have been so helpful :) )

I'm wondering if there is any advantage (or disadvantage) as to where I purchase the phone. I'm 3 hours from the nearest apple store, if that is the best route I'm sure I can get there sometime.

Otherwise I'm guessing my options are the verizon store, best buy, apple online store, or . . ? I usually shop by price but it seems like an iphone costs the same wherever one buys it; so I'm just checking to see if there is an advantage or disadvantage one way or another that I'm not aware of.

Thanks

U are correct about the iPhone pricing, it's the same everywhere u go except Walmart usually has it for like $2 cheaper. Best suggestion is to call around and see who has what u want in stock and then get it from the closest location. Good luck and congrats on ur choice

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Not really any advantage since as you said when buying new they are all the same price. Your local store is just as good as an Apple store. It gets down to who is willing to give you the best CS. If you buy from Apple or their retail store you can buy Applecare + right away for insurance as opposed to the other places except for a carrier where you have to buy it within 30 days. Good luck with your new iPhone.

revtech

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
So if I need to go to an apple store to get the legendary CS they provide, it doesn't matter if I bought it somewhere else?

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
If you buy from Apple or their retail store you can buy Applecare + right away for insurance
If you don't buy from Apple directly, you have to bring the phone into an Apple store to be inspected before you buy Applecare. So you would have to drive 3 hours to get Applecare. However, if you want Applecare (and I highly recommend it as it is refundable at any time for a prorated amount), I suggest you buy from Apple online and save yourself the 3 hour trip. You can get Applecare with your new phone shipped from Apple's online store.

Applecare doesn't cover loss or theft, though. If you want that, you would need to get total equipment coverage from Verizon.

If you were on sprint, right now Best Buy is running a $25 off special on the iPhone 5. And if you signed up for Best Buy's Phone Freedom promo in February, you can get $50 off the iPhone 5.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
So if I need to go to an apple store to get the legendary CS they provide, it doesn't matter if I bought it somewhere else?
Personally it is up to you to drive 3 hours. I drove an hour even though I could have shopped online from Apple's website and had it shipped to me. I wanted coming from a BlackBerry for Apple to set everything up for me so that I walked out literally with a working phone, contacts set, email done and ready to use and I drove an hour and will do it again on my next upgrade. I got Applecare+ and happy I did so it extends my tech support over the phone and if I have trouble I can go to the Apple store that will have a record I bought it there but that is just me.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
if I have trouble I can go to the Apple store that will have a record I bought it there
Why do you think it is important that they know you bought the phone there? I have never had a problem in an Apple store with my mom's phones and she bought hers from Verizon. My nieces bought theirs from the Apple store we go to and I don't think they get any better service than my mom does.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Why do you think it is important that they know you bought the phone there? I have never had a problem in an Apple store with my mom's phones and she bought hers from Verizon. My nieces bought theirs from the Apple store we go to and I don't think they get any better service than my mom does.

I never said it was "IMPORTANT" To me, What I said was that in the past whenever I purchased something of value from a merchant I always got better service from who I purchased it from. I know Apple might not care where it came from but it is MY piece of mind.:)

Nolander07

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
If you don't buy from Apple directly, you have to bring the phone into an Apple store to be inspected before you buy Applecare. So you would have to drive 3 hours to get Applecare. However, if you want Applecare (and I highly recommend it as it is refundable at any time for a prorated amount), I suggest you buy from Apple online and save yourself the 3 hour trip. You can get Applecare with your new phone shipped from Apple's online store.

Applecare doesn't cover loss or theft, though. If you want that, you would need to get total equipment coverage from Verizon.

If you were on sprint, right now Best Buy is running a $25 off special on the iPhone 5. And if you signed up for Best Buy's Phone Freedom promo in February, you can get $50 off the iPhone 5.

Not exactly true. I bought my iPhone 5 from Radio Shack and got AppleCare + on the spot. I am pretty sure you can do that if you buy from any non-cell phone carrier retail store.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Not exactly true. I bought my iPhone 5 from Radio Shack and got AppleCare + on the spot. I am pretty sure you can do that if you buy from any non-cell phone carrier retail store.
Thanks, that is good to know. We bought from Verizon and they told us we had to go to the Apple store because they sell their own TEC policy on the iPhone.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site

Bought mine from Rogers in Canada and got AppleCare+ on the spot as well.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

You are almost there.....:) Almost ALL carriers that sell iPhone can sell Applecare+ even though it won't be there first choice because they want to sell there own.

Simply if you buy and iPhone and CANNOT get Applecare+ for some reason from a non Apple store all you have to do is call Apple CS and ask for Applecare, they will ask for the IMEI to verify and sell you Applecare+. This has to be done within 30 days of buying the phone.

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
If there is a Target with a Target mobile inside then you can get the phone at a 5% discount using their credit card (Red card)
That is the least expensive retail store I can think of and it is where I get mine due to the discount.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I know, it is just easier to post here and then others will have the info, too without having to call. And sometimes when you call you get wrong info anyhow. The BB SAs can be clueless.

That is why since I did not know the answer and you asked the question and if you called you could post the answer for the benefit of us all which I agree :)with. Thank you for your comments and have a great day.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711