Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree5Likes
  • 12 Post By warcraftWidow
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    warcraftWidow's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    8,230 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,342 Global Posts

    Default Beware Apple ID phishing attempt

    Not sure how wide spread this is, but I just got an email supposedly from Apple that my account had been frozen and had 48 hours to click a link to unfreeze it. It was a pretty good replica of Apple emails with the gray post-it background and Apple logo. Main tip that it was fake is that hovering over the "verify now" link showed a non-Apple URL.

    Anyway, be careful of you get one of these and don't click the link.
  2. Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Beware Apple ID phishing attempt

    Thank you for giving us the heads-up, Karen....
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    warcraftWidow's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    8,230 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,342 Global Posts

    Default Re: Beware Apple ID phishing attempt

    I was surprised because it was the first time I got a phishing email purportedly from Apple. I've seen them masquerading as other companies but not Apple until now.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Beware Apple ID phishing attempt

    Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    I was surprised because it was the first time I got a phishing email purportedly from Apple. I've seen them masquerading as other companies but not Apple until now.
    I would have been surprised, too. Thankfully, however, you had the smarts to recognize it for what it was......and thank you again for alerting us. I really do appreciate it. :S
  6. #6  
    zeteo's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    92 Posts
    Global Posts
    654 Global Posts

    Default Re: Beware Apple ID phishing attempt

    Thanks for the heads up!!
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Beware Apple ID phishing attempt

    Thanks for watching out.
  8. #8  
    cornettbr's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    286 Posts
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts

    Default Beware Apple ID phishing attempt

    This is the email I got




    Dear Client,

    This is an automatic message by the system to let you know that you have to confirm your account information within 48 hours.
    Your account has been frozen temporarily in order to protect it.

    The account will continue to be frozen until it is approved And Validate Your Account Information.
    Once you have updated your account records, your information will be confirmed and your account will start to work as normal once again.

    To Verify Your Account Now, visit the following link:

    [Redacted]

    Wondering why you got this email?

    It's sent when someone adds or changes a contact email address for an Apple ID account. If you didn't do this, don't worry. Your email address cannot be used as a contact address for an Apple ID without your verification.

    For more information, see our frequently asked questions.

    Thanks,
    Apple Customer Support

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 06-06-2013 at 04:12 AM.
  9. #9  
    sting7k's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,945 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,852 Global Posts

    Default Re: Beware Apple ID phishing attempt

    Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    Not sure how wide spread this is, but I just got an email supposedly from Apple that my account had been frozen and had 48 hours to click a link to unfreeze it. It was a pretty good replica of Apple emails with the gray post-it background and Apple logo. Main tip that it was fake is that hovering over the "verify now" link showed a non-Apple URL.

    Anyway, be careful of you get one of these and don't click the link.
    The main tip was that they said they froze your account and you had 48 hours to activate it again through a link.

    Fake stuff from Apple is all over facebook right now.
  10. #10  
    12paws's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default Re: Beware Apple ID phishing attempt

    Okay so someone in my family clicked on the link from an ipad. It went no further, just to a url saying 'you've been hacked'. Any tips on what might have happended and what I should do?
  11. #11  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

    Default Re: Beware Apple ID phishing attempt

    Quote Originally Posted by 12paws View Post
    Okay so someone in my family clicked on the link from an ipad. It went no further, just to a url saying 'you've been hacked'. Any tips on what might have happended and what I should do?
    Nothing...don't worry about it unless information was input after clicking the link or replied to in an email. If you're feeling particularly paranoid about it, change your Apple ID password.

    I remember getting something like that a year or so ago, same general premise, same "threat" essentially...if there's one thing Apple users should understand is that Apple doesn't do these kinds of freezes without a lot of literature and communication to you (and you would know it was legitimate), nothing like this would just happen out of the blue, and something with a threat of time on it like that should automatically be disposed of because why would a legitimate security measure send an email out like this with a 48 hour time frame when they haven't a clue when you'll read said email or click the link.

    Fraud can be tricky...thankfully these are pretty obvious.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Beware Apple ID phishing attempt

    good looking out
  13. #13  
    spark032207#WN's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts

    Default Re: Beware Apple ID phishing attempt

    Thanks for the heads up!!
  14. #14  
    piranhadonna's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    473 Posts
    Global Posts
    552 Global Posts

    Default Re: Beware Apple ID phishing attempt

    Thanks for the heads up. I got one yesterday and forwarded it to the email you provided.
  15. #15  
    noaim's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,544 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,576 Global Posts

    Default Re: Beware Apple ID phishing attempt

    You should remove the URL from that post someone might click it..


    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2
  16. #16  
    SweetSCBerry's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    380 Posts
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts

    Default Re: Beware Apple ID phishing attempt

    Quote Originally Posted by cornettbr View Post
    This is the email I got




    Dear Client,

    This is an automatic message by the system to let you know that you have to confirm your account information within 48 hours.
    Your account has been frozen temporarily in order to protect it.

    The account will continue to be frozen until it is approved And Validate Your Account Information.
    Once you have updated your account records, your information will be confirmed and your account will start to work as normal once again.

    To Verify Your Account Now, visit the following link:

    [url redacted]

    Wondering why you got this email?

    It's sent when someone adds or changes a contact email address for an Apple ID account. If you didn't do this, don't worry. Your email address cannot be used as a contact address for an Apple ID without your verification.

    For more information, see our frequently asked questions.

    Thanks,
    Apple Customer Support

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    I never got that.


    Tapped out from my 5
    Last edited by Branta; 06-06-2013 at 04:14 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-15-2011, 08:44 PM
  2. Changing Apple ID on iPhone
    By marissaa310 in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-09-2010, 01:09 PM
  3. Apple banning JB Apple IDs?
    By tengence in forum Jailbreaking, Unlocking, Hacks, Themes & Mods
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-01-2010, 08:50 AM
  4. 2 iPhones - one or two Apple IDs?
    By hockeynut in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-31-2009, 12:17 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-30-2009, 03:47 AM

Posting Permissions