Carrier Signal Problems

xybadog

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I've got a new iphone 5 on O2 UK and am having very poor signal reception levels.

My 3 year old android phone that I've just come from had no problems as far as signal was concerned but with the iphone I'm getting only 1.5-2 bars in areas in which I was getting full bars on my old HTC. I've got a numerical reading of the signal and it's generally around -110 (-80 is considered good and anything over -100 poor).

Does anyone have any advice on how I can improve this, any known tweaks or apps?

(I've tried turning phone off then on again and doing the same with airplane mode to try and "kick start" the reception but no joy).

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
There really arnt any tweaks to fix a signal issue, but you could have a faulty device (which would call for a replacement). Try replacing it and seeing if you're still having the same issues.

Is it connecting to LTE with any strength for data out of curiosity?

xybadog

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
There really arnt any tweaks to fix a signal issue, but you could have a faulty device (which would call for a replacement). Try replacing it and seeing if you're still having the same issues.

Is it connecting to LTE with any strength for data out of curiosity?

We don't have LTE in the UK yet, still in the dark ages with 3G. I have turned 3G off and it does seem to improve very, very slightly sometimes but not every time.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
We don't have LTE in the UK yet, still in the dark ages with 3G. I have turned 3G off and it does seem to improve very, very slightly sometimes but not every time.

The fact you said you were O2 just didn't click, sorry about that. Yeah, I've yet to have to use 3G for data (intentionally anyways), but just out of curiosity, i switched mine over to 4G a second ago and turned off LTE and the signal bars actually went down! Go figure, perhaps the antenna is strong, but not as focused for 3G/4G users as the previous models were (pure speculation on my part).

If you've never had any problems with other handsets though, I'd certainly try returning it and getting another to rule out a faulty device...after that, your guess is as good as anyones, which really stinks that you don't have LTE available to you, because it truly is one of, if not THE shining new feature of the iPhone 5.

xybadog

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I'll return it. I'll give it a couple of weeks and see how it goes.

As for 4G only one carrier (EE) is getting it later this year. Other carriers are going to follow sometime later but iPhone 5 owners won't be able to get 4G with those other carriers, only if they're with EE.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'll return it. I'll give it a couple of weeks and see how it goes.

As for 4G only one carrier (EE) is getting it later this year. Other carriers are going to follow sometime later but iPhone 5 owners won't be able to get 4G with those other carriers, only if they're with EE.

If you've only had the device 2 days then take it back now to get it exchanged for another one. Don't wait a couple of weeks and risk damaging it and end up having to pay to get it repaired/replaced.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
takectrl