Waking iphone 5 without power button

fightcrazy

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Is there any way to use the iphone 5's home button to wake it up?? I never used the iphone 5 before and thinking about buying one. I know there is a function you can use to shut the screen off but waking up is different. Thanks for any help.
Vinny

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes, if the phone is in standby, pushing the home button will turn on the screen, showing the lockscreen. A quick swipe to unlock and you're in. It's my preferred way of waking the phone, actually.

fightcrazy

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Can the phone be left in stand by all day and if so does it suck up your battery?
Thanks from a rookie,
Vinny

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes, you can leave it in standby. It's what 99% of all phone users do (android does have the same thing). Unless you're running a GPS or other intensive app, or in an area of bad coverage, it shouldn't matter.

fightcrazy

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
The reason I ask is because I have seen some articles about the power button having issues. This is a very easy way to increase the life of the power button. Thanks,
Vinny

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Well all mechanical buttons have failure eventually. But it also depends on the user. This isn't a bad idea though, Enjoy your new iPhone.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
The reason I ask is because I have seen some articles about the power button having issues. This is a very easy way to increase the life of the power button. Thanks,
Vinny

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but the home button failing is one of the more common problems on the iPhone. Guess what happens when you shift all focus to that button instead?

moloes

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
If an iPhone has a faulty power button you can activate assistive touch and use that as a means of putting the phone into standby.

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but the home button failing is one of the more common problems on the iPhone. Guess what happens when you shift all focus to that button instead?

The warranty should cover that if it fails in the warranty period. Aftermarket replacement is fairly cheap and DIY replacement is possible and easy too.

John T

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
If an iPhone has a faulty power button you can activate assistive touch and use that as a means of putting the phone into standby.

The iphone doesn't have a faulty power button (or any other button!). As has already been said, a button is a mechanical device and is obviously susceptible to failure. In my opinion it is usually the fault of the user. I've seen many who are extremely heavy-handed and am not surprised they eventually have "button trouble".

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
The warranty should cover that if it fails in the warranty period. Aftermarket replacement is fairly cheap and DIY replacement is possible and easy too.
I'm glad you're able to selectively read. He's looking to use other buttons to avoid using the power button because he's worried the power button will fail. Just as the power button would fail, the home button has the same issues. The warranty fixes you mention match for both.

DIY replacement depends on model. For the 3G/3GS, it was fairly easy. For the 4, it requires disassembling pretty much the entire phone. I believe the 5 goes back to the days of the 3G/3GS.

Either way, none of this negates what was said. Guess what happens when you shift focus from the power button to the home button in the hopes to preserve the life of the power button? Oh look, it's still a mechanical piece that breaks down.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
The iphone doesn't have a faulty power button (or any other button!). As has already been said, a button is a mechanical device and is obviously susceptible to failure. In my opinion it is usually the fault of the user. I've seen many who are extremely heavy-handed and am not surprised they eventually have "button trouble".

Apple has made an engineering decision to use a less sturdy mechanical piece in favor of one that is prettier. Historically, the button has failed on quite a few devices, often within the warranty time. There are arguments both for and against this decision. You're welcome to take whichever position you prefer.

If the button is no longer operating as a button should, Moloes was right. The button is faulty. Regardless of the reason for the button's failure, it's failing. Moloes simply stated if the button was faulty, there were ways around it. In context, that means the button on that individual phone is no longer working. It wasn't an attack on design. It's absurd to state "the iphone doesn't have a faulty power button" in response to that. The failing button is clearly faulty. Don't confuse design with equipment.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

My power button is about 10% useful now...it rarely works properly and you have to mash it in a specific spot on the left hand side of the button to get it to actually function. I'm a loyal Apple/iPhone fan, but i cannot agree with your statement...this is the first iPhone that i have had an issue with either button (power or home), which tells me that something is different (especially since it seems to have become a pretty wide spread report to Apple...looking at their forums and all). And while I'm sure it's still very isolated as far as total numbers go, I'm taking mine back this weekend to get a replacement (which saddens me since i will, in all likelihood, lose my ability to jailbreak for the time being).

Also, to give some info on the steps i took...hard restarts didn't work, restoring from backup didn't work and blowing it out with compressed air didn't work. The pressure button under the physical metal button does not feel the same as it did when the phone was new, it actually feels like it has a non-responsive part without the distinctive "click" feel it should have. Not sure if anyone else has noticed that.

chadec

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I've had much more trouble with home button issues than with power button ones. But the 5's home button is different so maybe it'll hold up longer.

xybadog

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
2 people in my office have had to replace their iPhone 5 because of power buttons that have a) stopped working and b) fallen out. Both less than 4 months old and both problems occurred in the last 2 weeks.

(They're the only people in my office, apart from me, with iPhone 5! I hope it's not infectious)

nj1266

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
My power button is about 10% useful now...it rarely works properly and you have to mash it in a specific spot on the left hand side of the button to get it to actually function. I'm a loyal Apple/iPhone fan, but i cannot agree with your statement...this is the first iPhone that i have had an issue with either button (power or home), which tells me that something is different (especially since it seems to have become a pretty wide spread report to Apple...looking at their forums and all). And while I'm sure it's still very isolated as far as total numbers go, I'm taking mine back this weekend to get a replacement (which saddens me since i will, in all likelihood, lose my ability to jailbreak for the time being).

Also, to give some info on the steps i took...hard restarts didn't work, restoring from backup didn't work and blowing it out with compressed air didn't work. The pressure button under the physical metal button does not feel the same as it did when the phone was new, it actually feels like it has a non-responsive part without the distinctive "click" feel it should have. Not sure if anyone else has noticed that.

I had the same problem with my iPhone 4. I had to press the power button in a certain way to make it responsive. It also lost that click feeling just the way you describe. I never got mine fixed since it was out of warranty. I still have the phone

Sent from my iPhone 7

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

I took mine in today for a power button that went bad. Luckily to my surprise the replacement iPhone is on 6.1.2. So I will be able to jailbreak again.

basicase

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Consequently, you do not have any reason to believe that new iPhone 5 units should be more or less reliable than ones they made in the past. If you were happy with their products before, there is no reason to expect you should not continue to be so; if you found their process unreliable before, you have no reason to expect things to be better now.

There's always a chance anyone could get a bad unit, in which case your satisfaction with their customer service policies would then be what matters.

Lots of us think they're making their phones quite well, but if you're dissatisfied, they haven't given any reason for you to think they've changed anything, so maybe you'd be happier with a different product.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Consequently, you do not have any reason to believe that new iPhone 5 units should be more or less reliable than ones they made in the past. If you were happy with their products before, there is no reason to expect you should not continue to be so; if you found their process unreliable before, you have no reason to expect things to be better now.

There's always a chance anyone could get a bad unit, in which case your satisfaction with their customer service policies would then be what matters.

Lots of us think they're making their phones quite well, but if you're dissatisfied, they haven't given any reason for you to think they've changed anything, so maybe you'd be happier with a different product.

I'm still completely satisfied with my iPhone, and feel the build quality is fantastic...that said, it is very obvious by the commonness of the power button issues on the iPhone 5 that something was changed...not to say it was for the good or bad, it was just different, and i guess whatever was different caused my original iPhone 5 to have a failure in the button's mechanical build. I've replaced it now (also on 6.1.2 which made me smile!) and it is back to perfect.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR