Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Go bigger?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes go bigger

112 70.44%
  • No do not go bigger

47 29.56%
Page 1 of 12 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree157Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Banned

Default Gotta go bigger - iPhone device size

Anyone can make a larger smartphone display. But if you go large for largeís sake, you end up with a phone that feels oversized, awkward and hard to use. iPhone 5 features a 4-inch display designed the right way: itís bigger, but itís the same width as iPhone 4S. So everything youíve always done with one hand ó typing on the keyboard, for instance ó you can still do with one hand. On a larger canvas that lets you see more of every web page. More of your inbox. More events on your calendar. Even more apps on your Home screen.
    I advise Apple to do so. After almost a year of owning the 5, I just admit a truth. It's cramped. My fingers really hurt when trying to say condensed into the width of the iPhone 5. It's taller but not wider. This was a mistake. The height is right, but the width is not. Especially since the bottom of the phone reaches from ear to mouth now. That should've been Apple's marketing campaign.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts

Default Re: Gotta go bigger

How much bigger? That's the question. I would like a little more real estate, but not one of those mammoth Android screens.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,509 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

if you do not already, you should work for Apple
    SweetSCBerry and hydrogen3 like this.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    Banned

Well, obviously they're not going to make a phone as big as an iPad mini. But if I had the choice to remain the same size or go bigger, I'm going bigger. The next iPhone better have 1080P.

I think Apple can overcome their previous marketing strategy, by saying something like, well, everything that you learn about the new devices coming from Apple in the future points to choice, whether it's color, size I think this will be much more breadth in Apple products to come.

I don't think they will really introduce a new features until they have iOS 6 sorted out, that's part of why iOS seven has been rumored to be delayed. I also think they are trying to focus more on the iPad it rains then iPhone right now.

For some reason I get the feeling that they're going to skip the 5S. It's not going to matter what their previous marketing campaign was because they have lost some people so obviously ideas will get scratched, and we will be seeing big changes and how Apple runs things.
    jtan99 likes this.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    11,766 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Sicks

Yes, bigger.

I want to feel 5 inches in my hands.
    Wait...what?
    Wut?
    DaPhoneking likes this.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    Banned

Me too girl 8 inches!!

But see, Apple thought they were being smart by saying oh, this tall iPhone is the perfect size. It's not.

It has been an annoyance since day one.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by saudre View Post
    Well, obviously they're not going to make a phone as big as an iPad mini. But if I had the choice to remain the same size or go bigger, I'm going bigger. The next iPhone better have 1080P.

I think Apple can overcome their previous marketing strategy, by saying something like, well, everything that you learn about the new devices coming from Apple in the future points to choice, whether it's color, size I think this will be much more breadth in Apple products to come.

I don't think they will really introduce a new features until they have iOS 6 sorted out, that's part of why iOS seven has been rumored to be delayed. I also think they are trying to focus more on the iPad it rains then iPhone right now.

For some reason I get the feeling that they're going to skip the 5S. It's not going to matter what their previous marketing campaign was because they have lost some people so obviously ideas will get scratched, and we will be seeing big changes and how Apple runs things.
    I do agree that Apple could have given us more screen by simply making the phone a bit wider. This probably would put the screen at 4.3 or 4.5 inches.

However, focusing on the OS is a more pressing issue. The UI needs to be refreshed and functionality needs to be added to keep pace with Android.
    Thanked by:
    cckgz4 (04-12-2013)
    JustMe'D likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts

Interesting article on smartphone screen size.

iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

The iPhone 5 is geared towards the reach of the average hand. Most iPhone users want to continue being able to use the phone one handed. The majority of humans won't be able to do that if it gets wider.
    Thanked by:
    Dark_Huntress (04-17-2013), ritesh (04-17-2013)
    Dryland, swarlos, ritesh and 4 others like this.
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    Banned

Making it tall has made it harder for me to use, Because there's not enough width for me to be able to reach to the top of the screen. Like, you can't grip it.

Only the iPhone 4S fit perfectly. I have to hold the 5 at the bottom. But Steve Jobs was right.

Of course this is solved with a case. Any silicone case will give it just enough width to use comfortably.

Global Posts
    17,321 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Gotta go bigger - iPhone device size

Quote Originally Posted by saudre View Post
    Me too girl 8 inches!!

But see, Apple thought they were being smart by saying oh, this tall iPhone is the perfect size. It's not.

It has been an annoyance since day one.
    In my opinion, Apple was being smart. They enlarged the iPhone while maintaining, for the most part at least, the ability to operate it with one hand. It isn't perfect, but it perfectly fit their goal at that time and millions upon millions bought it. Furthermore, if the next iPhone is built to your specification but was introduced & sold with iOS 6.1.4, would you still buy it? Would you be dissatisfied with the fact that OS was still basically the same?
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

I'd love a 6.3" iPhone. That being said, Apple should make a phone with at least
    a 5" screen size. Bigger screen would make video, texting and web surfing much more easier
    and fun.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    7,951 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Didn't need the expansion to the iPhone 5, but I'm ok with it...do not need or want further expansion. I don't want an iPad in my pocket when i walk around.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ctdog View Post
    I'd love a 6.3" iPhone. That being said, Apple should make a phone with at least
    a 5" screen size. Bigger screen would make video, texting and web surfing much more easier
    and fun.
    Apple wants to keep the screen smaller, not just for usability, but also to avoid cannibalizing its tablet sales. If you make a huge phone, why would you need an iPad? This is why the size of the iPhone doesn't bother me too much. If I want to consume content on a larger screen, I just bust out the iPad.
    Lawns and JustMe'D like this.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    384 Global Posts

I think adding another column of icons worth of screen would be ok, any more than that and you're getting into this kind of territory

Depends where apple go with iOS 7 I guess, it might work just fine on the smaller screen sizes, then again it might need the larger screen sizes to be practical. Think we need to see the software first then we can start worrying about upping it to 60" widescreen

Global Posts
    17,321 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    Didn't need the expansion to the iPhone 5, but I'm ok with it...do not need or want further expansion. I don't want an iPad in my pocket when i walk around.
    'nuf said...
    Thanked by:
    SeanHRCC (04-12-2013)
    Rjgjr#IM likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,624 Global Posts

Id like to see bigger too, just a bit bigger.

My main problem with iphones is that I really could do with more width, I think this will improve the typing experience. Personal preference really, some may love it how it is. I think it would be fair to offer the iphone in 2 sizes... but I'll probably get flamed for suggesting that.
  18. Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    In my opinion, Apple was bring smart. They enlarged the iPhone while maintaining, for the most part at least, the ability to operate it with one hand. It isn't perfect, but it perfectly fit their goal at that time and millions upon millions bought it. Furthermore, if the next iPhone is built to your specification but was introduced & sold with iOS 6.1.4, would you still buy it? Would you be dissatisfied with the fact that OS was still basically the same?
    iOS6 pretty much gave us all of the cosmetic changes that we were looking for, it's going to be interesting to see them find a reason to change it yet again.

I think Apple will focus on polishing and presentation, everything could always use more polishing.

coming off a pre2 the iphone 5 is Huge!

but surprisingly easy to use one handed but carry Is another issue altogether

no way would I buy a bigger iphone
    webOS for life

iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

kill them with kindness :-)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,031 Global Posts
    iOS Version

4.3-4.5 would be a sweet spot nowadays
    iMore Pro

The iPhone 5 is the perfect size in my opinion. It should have been this size from the start. If they decide later on to make the iPhone bigger, it should the same size as the iPad Mini.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

An iPad mini that could be used as a phone would be awesome! Given all the graphic intensive stuff phones
    are now used for, bigger really IS better.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    744 Global Posts

I think the only way we as the consumers win in this situation is for Apple to create two phones each release, one larger, and one the size of the current 5. Apple's bread and butter is delivering a device to those who desire a device that is comfortable to use with one hand. Of course, this will vary based on the user, but the current size seems to meet the criteria for most one-handed users.

With that said, it cannot be denied that many are longing for a larger iphone. I include myself in this group. Now, I am 6'7" with large hands. The S3 at 4.8" was easy to navigate with one hand. The Note 2....not so much. I may be a bit more of the exception to the rule as far as still finding a larger iphone easily useable with one hand. But there are also the others who are not concerned about one-handed use.....they simply want a larger device. End of story.

While I think it would be a great move from a consumer standpoint to have two sizing options at each new iphone release....I don't know where Apple stands on that. Apple is about profit margin, streamlined manufacturing, etc. My intent is not to delve into all of that here....but my point is if it doesn't increase their bottom line in a healthy manner then I don't see them quickly caving. Samsung seems highly focused on market share and numbers sold vs Apple and their profit driven motives.

While none of us will no for sure until this summer/fall depending on when Tim takes the stage...I think it is pretty safe to say that none of this will matter anytime soon. If you want to know what the 5S/?name? will feel like in the hand, just go hold an iphone 5..... .
    Last edited by finn5975; 04-12-2013 at 03:08 PM.
    JustMe'D, tgp, Racer X and 1 others like this.
    iPhone Newbie

maybe they should make a bigger iphone (height & width) for people with bigger hands .
    And revert back to the old size for smaller/average handed people. That's one way to segment the market. The "one-size-fits-all-because-we-used-average-hand-size-to-design-this" campaign before doesn't make any sense...my hand is like 2 inches longer than my gf
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    7,951 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by jtan99 View Post
    maybe they should make a bigger iphone (height & width) for people with bigger hands .
    And revert back to the old size for smaller/average handed people. That's one way to segment the market. The "one-size-fits-all-because-we-used-average-hand-size-to-design-this" campaign before doesn't make any sense...my hand is like 2 inches longer than my gf
    I have pretty large hands (even for a guy), I can palm a basketball without effort...iPhone 5 fits perfectly in my hand.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
Page 1 of 12 1234 ... LastLast