Votes: 112 70.4%
  • No do not go bigger

Votes: 47 29.6%

• Total voters

saudre

Banned
Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Anyone can make a larger smartphone display. But if you go large for large?s sake, you end up with a phone that feels oversized, awkward and hard to use. iPhone 5 features a 4-inch display designed the right way: it?s bigger, but it?s the same width as iPhone 4S. So everything you?ve always done with one hand ? typing on the keyboard, for instance ? you can still do with one hand. On a larger canvas that lets you see more of every web page. More of your inbox. More events on your calendar. Even more apps on your Home screen.

I advise Apple to do so. After almost a year of owning the 5, I just admit a truth. It's cramped. My fingers really hurt when trying to say condensed into the width of the iPhone 5. It's taller but not wider. This was a mistake. The height is right, but the width is not. Especially since the bottom of the phone reaches from ear to mouth now. That should've been Apple's marketing campaign.

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Gotta go bigger

How much bigger? That's the question. I would like a little more real estate, but not one of those mammoth Android screens.

saudre

Banned
Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

Well, obviously they're not going to make a phone as big as an iPad mini. But if I had the choice to remain the same size or go bigger, I'm going bigger. The next iPhone better have 1080P.

I think Apple can overcome their previous marketing strategy, by saying something like, well, everything that you learn about the new devices coming from Apple in the future points to choice, whether it's color, size I think this will be much more breadth in Apple products to come.

I don't think they will really introduce a new features until they have iOS 6 sorted out, that's part of why iOS seven has been rumored to be delayed. I also think they are trying to focus more on the iPad it rains then iPhone right now.

For some reason I get the feeling that they're going to skip the 5S. It's not going to matter what their previous marketing campaign was because they have lost some people so obviously ideas will get scratched, and we will be seeing big changes and how Apple runs things.

saudre

Banned
Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

Me too girl 8 inches!!

But see, Apple thought they were being smart by saying oh, this tall iPhone is the perfect size. It's not.

It has been an annoyance since day one.

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site

Well, obviously they're not going to make a phone as big as an iPad mini. But if I had the choice to remain the same size or go bigger, I'm going bigger. The next iPhone better have 1080P.

I think Apple can overcome their previous marketing strategy, by saying something like, well, everything that you learn about the new devices coming from Apple in the future points to choice, whether it's color, size I think this will be much more breadth in Apple products to come.

I don't think they will really introduce a new features until they have iOS 6 sorted out, that's part of why iOS seven has been rumored to be delayed. I also think they are trying to focus more on the iPad it rains then iPhone right now.

For some reason I get the feeling that they're going to skip the 5S. It's not going to matter what their previous marketing campaign was because they have lost some people so obviously ideas will get scratched, and we will be seeing big changes and how Apple runs things.

I do agree that Apple could have given us more screen by simply making the phone a bit wider. This probably would put the screen at 4.3 or 4.5 inches.

However, focusing on the OS is a more pressing issue. The UI needs to be refreshed and functionality needs to be added to keep pace with Android.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site

The iPhone 5 is geared towards the reach of the average hand. Most iPhone users want to continue being able to use the phone one handed. The majority of humans won't be able to do that if it gets wider.

saudre

Banned
Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

Making it tall has made it harder for me to use, Because there's not enough width for me to be able to reach to the top of the screen. Like, you can't grip it.

Only the iPhone 4S fit perfectly. I have to hold the 5 at the bottom. But Steve Jobs was right.

Of course this is solved with a case. Any silicone case will give it just enough width to use comfortably.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Me too girl 8 inches!!

But see, Apple thought they were being smart by saying oh, this tall iPhone is the perfect size. It's not.

It has been an annoyance since day one.

In my opinion, Apple was being smart. They enlarged the iPhone while maintaining, for the most part at least, the ability to operate it with one hand. It isn't perfect, but it perfectly fit their goal at that time and millions upon millions bought it. Furthermore, if the next iPhone is built to your specification but was introduced & sold with iOS 6.1.4, would you still buy it? Would you be dissatisfied with the fact that OS was still basically the same?

Last edited:

ctdog

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

I'd love a 6.3" iPhone. That being said, Apple should make a phone with at least
a 5" screen size. Bigger screen would make video, texting and web surfing much more easier
and fun.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Didn't need the expansion to the iPhone 5, but I'm ok with it...do not need or want further expansion. I don't want an iPad in my pocket when i walk around.

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site

I'd love a 6.3" iPhone. That being said, Apple should make a phone with at least
a 5" screen size. Bigger screen would make video, texting and web surfing much more easier
and fun.

Apple wants to keep the screen smaller, not just for usability, but also to avoid cannibalizing its tablet sales. If you make a huge phone, why would you need an iPad? This is why the size of the iPhone doesn't bother me too much. If I want to consume content on a larger screen, I just bust out the iPad.

Donnee

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site

I think adding another column of icons worth of screen would be ok, any more than that and you're getting into this kind of territory
Trigger Happy TV - All Giant Cell Phone & Loud Talk Scene /Collected By JunkieeeBoy/ - YouTube

Depends where apple go with iOS 7 I guess, it might work just fine on the smaller screen sizes, then again it might need the larger screen sizes to be practical. Think we need to see the software first then we can start worrying about upping it to 60" widescreen

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

Id like to see bigger too, just a bit bigger.

My main problem with iphones is that I really could do with more width, I think this will improve the typing experience. Personal preference really, some may love it how it is. I think it would be fair to offer the iphone in 2 sizes... but I'll probably get flamed for suggesting that.

saudre

Banned
Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

In my opinion, Apple was bring smart. They enlarged the iPhone while maintaining, for the most part at least, the ability to operate it with one hand. It isn't perfect, but it perfectly fit their goal at that time and millions upon millions bought it. Furthermore, if the next iPhone is built to your specification but was introduced & sold with iOS 6.1.4, would you still buy it? Would you be dissatisfied with the fact that OS was still basically the same?

iOS6 pretty much gave us all of the cosmetic changes that we were looking for, it's going to be interesting to see them find a reason to change it yet again.

I think Apple will focus on polishing and presentation, everything could always use more polishing.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

coming off a pre2 the iphone 5 is Huge!

but surprisingly easy to use one handed but carry Is another issue altogether

no way would I buy a bigger iphone

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads