• Yes go bigger

Votes: 112 70.4%
  • No do not go bigger

Votes: 47 29.6%

• Total voters

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I noticed a few die hard fans are saying no to a bigger screen, it would be too close to the ipad mini????

Isnt the ipad mini 7 1/2"

I think most smart phone users do not want anything larger than 5"

I thinik Apple would be smart to stick with the 4s size. accept that the iphon 5 was a mistake in size and scrap it. Offer the 4s and itouch in that size. Even introduce a new value phone later in the year the same size.

Also intoduce an iphone 6 with a larger screen. Keep the ipad mini and ipad. Apple would have 2 phone sizes and 2 ipad sizes

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I noticed a few die hard fans are saying no to a bigger screen, it would be too close to the ipad mini????

Isnt the ipad mini 7 1/2"

I think most smart phone users do not want anything larger than 5"

I thinik Apple would be smart to stick with the 4s size. accept that the iphon 5 was a mistake in size and scrap it. Offer the 4s and itouch in that size. Even introduce a new value phone later in the year the same size.

Also intoduce an iphone 6 with a larger screen. Keep the ipad mini and ipad. Apple would have 2 phone sizes and 2 ipad sizes

I don't think that the 5 was a mistake, but I do think that Apple should consider 2 sizes. Maybe the current 4", and a 4.7"-ish. I really think that it would make a MAJOR increase in their customer base. I know that I would love iOS on a Galaxy S3-size screen. Plus it would allow the people that want the 4' screen to keep it, also.

General Tso

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Was I wrong? No. As you can see how I'm being called a troll because I actually said something not in lockstep with the fanboys.

I recently switched back to iPhone 5 from the GS3 because iOS is simply better than Android. Also, I can't find something as good as iTunes.

The screen size IMO, would be perfect if they added an inch to the width. I'm fine with the 4 inch vertical size. That being said, I'll not stray from Apple again. Android is just too unrefined.

Xytal

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
Re: Gotta go bigger

Really tired of this rush to get bigger and bigger phones. Seriously, do people want giant bricks again? I don't want to walk around with an iPad mini up against my ear.

If they want to increase size, 4.2/4.3 inches is the sweet spot, honestly. It's a bit bigger, it still works in one hand, and it fits comfortably in your pocket.

The Dell Streak crashed and burned, yet these phones are now selling again.. ugh.. confuses the heck out of me, honestly.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
I don't think it's as big a deal as most make it out to be. I agree the i5 is a great size and anything bigger would almost be like having a mini as ur phone. Plus, from all the adds on Craigslist and in our market place from people wanting to sell or trade their Note 2 for an iPhone 5, guess bigger isn't always better.

razvn

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't think they'll go bigger next time. They already did it last year, changing the next year would mean they fail on their choice the previous year. They kept the 3.5" size for 5 years I guess they can keep the 4" for at least 2.

For the update after the next maybe they'll go iPad's way with an iPhone mini 4" and a bigger one. But I find it very difficult to imagine the bigger one higher than 4.9", which is not that a big difference so after all maybe they won't.

Anyway, I don't want a bigger one. If they can make the screen bigger keeping the actual size ok, but I don't want a larger phone. My wife has a Nexus 4 and I find in uncomfortable to keep it in a hand and use it with one hand. It is a little better for typing in portrait mode with two hands as keys are bigger but the difference is not that big and most of all, typing on my phone is not my main activity on the phone. I prefer a good one hand handle and usage.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Obviously it is subjective whether a person wants a larger screen or not. I happen to be in the camp that does. I am also fine with the 4" iphone 5 I have now. But some of these statements getting thrown around are a bit ridiculous. Anything larger than the iphone 5 would be like putting an ipad mini up to your ear?? Come on....the mini is 7.9". Just a bit of a stretch wouldn't you say?

A larger phone is not for everyone. That is evident. But there are many just like me who use their phone more of an extension of themselves, a mini computer, photo library, video viewer, etc as opposed to as an actual phone. The 5 is awesome, but I certainly wouldn't turn down the opportunity to view web pages, pictures, videos, etc on a 4.7" - 5" screen.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I like the iPhone 5 the way it is. It is the perfect size for me. I tried doing the phablet thing with the Note 2. But I like to have to devices; and iPad and an iPhone 5. The size of the two are perfect for my needs. I'm pretty sure there are going to be bigger iPhones, I would just prefer that they didn't.

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I understand & for the most part agree with Apple's decision to keep the size optimized to one handed use, but I have to wonder if one handed usability is as big of a deal as Apple makes it to be. My first modern smartphone had a 3.2" screen, and I virtually never used it one handed unless absolutely necessary.

I think some changes to iOS could allow for a larger screen and still facilitate one handed use. I carry an iPhone 5 and a Nexus 4. The Nexus 4 is every bit as easy to use one handed as the iPhone 5 even though the screen is 0.7" larger. Icons on iOS start at the upper left corner, the WORST possible place for one handed use (unless you use your left hand). Prompts tend to be towards the top of the screen. Allow users to place icons wherever they want, and bring prompts lower on the screen. That alone would help a lot. The keyboard on the Nexus 4 is much easier to use one handed with the sliding feature, and you don't have to be nearly as precise.

Well that's my humble opinion. I'm sure Apple knows what they're doing. That's why they're worth $400 billion and I'm not... :p

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I understand & for the most part agree with Apple's decision to keep the size optimized to one handed use, but I have to wonder if one handed usability is as big of a deal as Apple makes it to be. My first modern smartphone had a 3.2" screen, and I virtually never used it one handed unless absolutely necessary.

I think some changes to iOS could allow for a larger screen and still facilitate one handed use. I carry an iPhone 5 and a Nexus 4. The Nexus 4 is every bit as easy to use one handed as the iPhone 5 even though the screen is 0.7" larger. Icons on iOS start at the upper left corner, the WORST possible place for one handed use (unless you use your left hand). Prompts tend to be towards the top of the screen. Allow users to place icons wherever they want, and bring prompts lower on the screen. That alone would help a lot. The keyboard on the Nexus 4 is much easier to use one handed with the sliding feature, and you don't have to be nearly as precise.

Well that's my humble opinion. I'm sure Apple knows what they're doing. That's why they're worth $400 billion and I'm not... :p

I think it has a lot to do with portability as well. The bigger screened phones look great when you are watching videos, web surfing, reading books, etc. But they are not pleasing when you are using the phone to make calls, carry around in your pocket, using with one hand and typing (yes typing). I have found with the smaller device that it is easier for me to type accurately and quickly. On the bigger phones, the keyboard is stretched too far and I sacrifice speed and some accuracy. I couldn't fit my Note 2 is my cup holder; where I keep my phones while driving. It was tough for me at times to dial numbers with just one hand. I would just rather have a my iPhone 5 for when I'm out and about and the iPad when I want to consume media when at home.

Par_T

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Perfect size I would like to see is 4.3" Those seem to feel good in hand, but not feel too big. Also, with bigger screens, it seems that I start to get call quality issues since the mic is too far from my mouth and people can't hear me!

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Also, with bigger screens, it seems that I start to get call quality issues since the mic is too far from my mouth and people can't hear me!
That's why some of the bigger androids have curved glass screens, like the GNex.

Personally, I never hold a phone up to my ear so it isn't an issue for me. I use my bluetooth.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2