Coming back on 4/12/13 with TMo from a Note 2, should I be scared :)

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
So I left ATT and my iphone 5 (had ALL the previous iPhones) cuz I was disappointed with the maps issues and Apple dropping the native YouTube app.

Went to T Mobile and got the GS3 and then the Note 2,,,, both GREAT phones, but now with TM getting the iP5 on April 12th I'm going back to the iP5 from my current Note 2.

I'm just wondering how much of adjustment it will be going from my 5.5" screen to the 4" iP5 screen and part of me is a bit scared,,, how many on here have gone from the larger screens of a GS3 or a Note 1 or 2 to the smaller iP5 4" screen,,,, any regrets ?

It's not all about the screen though,,,, I'm getting the feeling that because Apple has been dragging their *** for so long and letting Samsung beat them up so bad that the next iPhone, be it a 5s or the 6 might be a real game changer for Apple,,,, so that's one reason I'm coming back ,,,, I'm thinking I wana be back with Apple because of the chance of an impending knock your socks off Apple product and if/ when that happens I want to be fully integrated back into the Apple cult/ Eco system,,,,, hope all that made sense.

Also,,,, I miss being able to use my phone with one hand,,,, the Note 2 is a great device but clearly two hands are needed,,,,, the upcoming GS4 is very tempting to get for the camera features alone,,,,, but I'm coming back to the iPhone 5 and guna pass on the GS4.

One a side note (pun intended) here in Vegas since I switched from Verizon and ATT to TM, I have had not one dropped or missed call ever,,, in Vegas TM kills ATT and Verizon,,,, and half the price as well,,,,,, so I'm extra glad TM is finally getting a TM branded/made for TM iP5.

Cheers
Davyo

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
No regrets at all from me and I've used 4 Android devices in the last year all with screens over 4.3" and I've had no trouble adjusting to the 5's screen. I love the smaller screen actually and I'm super happy to be back on iOS especially jail broken I still get better battery life than my rooted android devices.

I say welcome back and you definitely won't regret it especially since T-Mo has LTE in Vegas now. Also side note one of my good friends has T-Mo and she also wants to get the 5 on the 12th and all she has ever owned has been Android phones.

Sent from the collector home world.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
It's going to come down to where you place the most value. I won't hesitate to say that I personally preferred the larger screens on the S3 and Note 2. But the larger size also kept me from using the Note 2 one-handed comfortably and that was a deal breaker for me. The S3 size for me, was perfect. I could easily navigate with one hand. But, the ridiculously over saturated colors and the android OS were too large of negatives for me.

You will know soon enough whether the switch works for you or not. If not, return it and get a different phone (assuming TMo allows this....not familiar with their policies). As for Apple knocking anyone's socks off with the 5S or 6, I wouldn't hold my breath. I think it is safe to say the 5S will be an incremental upgrade at best as that has been the case with all of the previous S-series phones. Also, I think we are seeing the maturity of cell phones. Even the Galaxy S4 is relying on mostly gimmicks to sell an otherwise incremental upgrade (not that a 5" 1080P screen is anything to shake a stick at, but truthfully the S3 had a 4.8" 720P screen so not a huge upgrade).

H_D

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
It's going to come down to where you place the most value. I won't hesitate to say that I personally preferred the larger screens on the S3 and Note 2. But the larger size also kept me from using the Note 2 one-handed comfortably and that was a deal breaker for me. The S3 size for me, was perfect. I could easily navigate with one hand. But, the ridiculously over saturated colors and the android OS were too large of negatives for me.

You will know soon enough whether the switch works for you or not. If not, return it and get a different phone (assuming TMo allows this....not familiar with their policies). As for Apple knocking anyone's socks off with the 5S or 6, I wouldn't hold my breath. I think it is safe to say the 5S will be an incremental upgrade at best as that has been the case with all of the previous S-series phones. Also, I think we are seeing the maturity of cell phones. Even the Galaxy S4 is relying on mostly gimmicks to sell an otherwise incremental upgrade (not that a 5" 1080P screen is anything to shake a stick at, but truthfully the S3 had a 4.8" 720P screen so not a huge upgrade).

I think he was referring to the major iOS overhaul more than another hardware revision. There is only so much more you can do with hardware so hopefully the new software experience Jony Ive is working on pays off. Software experience looks like it will be the real difference maker. More on iOS 7, iPhone 5s, and Apple's plans for 2013 | iMore.com

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I think he was referring to the major iOS overhaul more than another hardware revision. There is only so much more you can do with hardware so hopefully the new software experience Jony Ive is working on pays off. Software experience looks like it will be the real difference maker. More on iOS 7, iPhone 5s, and Apple's plans for 2013 | iMore.com

Good point. I just hope it is more of a revision than simply changing the colors and textures. As it stands right now, this could be the first iphone release ever where I don't get it on day one because I don't want to lose my jailbreak in favor of the new operating system arriving on the new device. Something tells me that they still wont bake into iOS 7 things like pop-up reply for text, unlimited app storage in folders, ability to place icons wherever you see fit, toggles in the notification center, etc. Can't really speculate since no one outside of Apple knows, but, I hope they dont simply change all of the textures and visuals and call that a 'major overhaul'. For me anyways.

IAmSixNine

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Both are great devices. Personal is Note 2 on TMO and work is iPhone 5 on ATT.
The bulk of my usage is Note 2 but i like the way iPhone handles email. The graphics are also smooth on the iPhone but getting better on Android OS.
Wish i could help more but its a tough decision.

H_D

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Good point. I just hope it is more of a revision than simply changing the colors and textures. As it stands right now, this could be the first iphone release ever where I don't get it on day one because I don't want to lose my jailbreak in favor of the new operating system arriving on the new device. Something tells me that they still wont bake into iOS 7 things like pop-up reply for text, unlimited app storage in folders, ability to place icons wherever you see fit, toggles in the notification center, etc. Can't really speculate since no one outside of Apple knows, but, I hope they dont simply change all of the textures and visuals and call that a 'major overhaul'. For me anyways.

I think I'm with ya on that man. I'll be holding onto 6.1.2 as long as I can. Pop-up reply has to be a given by now. It's so simple to implement. Hopefully the design team will give us power users more options or at least the option to activate additional features like a NC Settings like feature.

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Well, 7 more days and I will have my TMo iphone,,, just had the new i5 accessorys delivered today from Amazon and eBay.

I'm sure I will miss some things about my much loved Note 2 but in reality I use my phones mostly for talking and text and use my ipad and Galaxy Nexus 10 tab for all the other stuff (mostly use my ipad more than my Nexus).

Anyhow,,, I think it will be fun going back to the i5.

Cheers
Davyo

llfloyd79

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Reading this is kinda funny. I have the iPhone 5 now. I got it like 4 days ago. Love it. I was considering exchanging it for a Note 2 lol. Now I'm second guessing myself after reading this. Decisions...decisions!!!

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Note 2 is a very very nice phone. I went from Note 2 to iPhone 5 with out any issues screen wise. It also helped bc I am heavily vested in the apple ecosystem.

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Reading this is kinda funny. I have the iPhone 5 now. I got it like 4 days ago. Love it. I was considering exchanging it for a Note 2 lol. Now I'm second guessing myself after reading this. Decisions...decisions!!!

Yea,,, the Note 2 I'm giving up is an amazing phone,,,, the main thing that did it for me is I just never got used to the size as far a day to day handling it, pocketing it and even just picking it up off the table.

And the main reasons I got the Note 2 also became kinda mute since I always have my ipad with me.

Before I would consider the Note though these days, I would take a real long look at the Galaxy S4 if I was not going back to the i5,,, in my opinion the GS4 trumps the Note 2.

I'm even open to the possibility that after getting the i5 and then I play with the GS4 when it comes out, I fall in love with it,,return the i5 and get the GS4,,, that could happen, but more likely not,,,,,,,, the 5" screen and all the very cool camera features of the GS4 do make it a very tempting choice.

Part of me just wants to get both phones and switch between them every few weeks ;)

Cheers
Davyo

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Well, I got my TMo iphone 5 the day of release on TM,,,,that lasted about 2 or 3 days before I went back down to TM and returned it and went back to my Note 2,,,, I know I'm posting on the iphone forum and I'm not trolling but going to the ip5 from my Note 2 was a huge reminder for me of how far behind the ip5 is compared to the Galaxy series of phones.

I'm kinda sad as I really do love Apple products,,, I typing this right now on my much loved ipad that I use way more than my Nexus 10 tab.

The ip5 felt so outdated in almost every way from my Note 2 and past GS3.

Anyhow,,, I'm still ditching the Note 2 as soon as my Galaxy S4 arrives,,, and I'm still hoping Apple will get back to being the innovator it once was,, but for now it's back to Android for me.

As a past long time iphone junkie I'm beginning to see why many people feel and think Apple is living off there past reputation and very dependent on their hardcore loyal fans,,,,, be no means does the ip5 suck,,,, it truly is a great phone and the best Apple has released so far,,, but for me I found out their best was not enough to keep me.

Cheers
Davyo

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, I got my TMo iphone 5 the day of release on TM,,,,that lasted about 2 or 3 days before I went back down to TM and returned it and went back to my Note 2,,,, I know I'm posting on the iphone forum and I'm not trolling but going to the ip5 from my Note 2 was a huge reminder for me of how far behind the ip5 is compared to the Galaxy series of phones.

I'm kinda sad as I really do love Apple products,,, I typing this right now on my much loved ipad that I use way more than my Nexus 10 tab.

The ip5 felt so outdated in almost every way from my Note 2 and past GS3.

Anyhow,,, I'm still ditching the Note 2 as soon as my Galaxy S4 arrives,,, and I'm still hoping Apple will get back to being the innovator it once was,, but for now it's back to Android for me.

As a past long time iphone junkie I'm beginning to see why many people feel and think Apple is living off there past reputation and very dependent on their hardcore loyal fans,,,,, be no means does the ip5 suck,,,, it truly is a great phone and the best Apple has released so far,,, but for me I found out their best was not enough to keep me.

Cheers
Davyo

I for one respect what you've said here and don't consider it trolling in the least. You have given both units a try and have found what's best for you. I'm curious, what have you found to be better on the Note 2 vs the 5 specifically?

I had the N2 for about 10 days before going back to the 5. I was in favor of several things on the N2 until I jailbroke my 5. Now that I have pop-up text reply, much expanded notification center via Intelliscreen x, notification toggles, ability to place icons anywhere, etc etc i find the N2 to have one advantage.... screen size. And of course that being an advantage is subjective to my personal wants. But it's size is a bit too large for one handed use despite my huge hands.

Since Verizon is dragging on the HTC One, I too am looking at the S4. For one reason only being screen size. But I'm not sure that will be enough to leave IOS and its exclusive features that I enjoy. The three main ones?
1. Tap to scroll is priceless. I LOVE being able to tap the status bar to scroll to the very top of any page or any app.
2. iMessage and group messaging with fellow iPhone users.
3. Various go-to apps of mine are not available on Android and viable alternatives to these do not exist.
(side not that I also much prefer LCD over amoled displays)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It's never easy to go against the grain in a forum dedicated to the device you've chosen to forego. I've been a borderline iPhone (not apple) fanboy since the 3G. But now I'm on the fence. I see the larger screens on the S4 and HTC One and I drool. But it'd be at a cost for me. I'd take jailbroken IOS over Android seven days a week.

ernbrdn

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Honestly I feel like you can't even compare the two phones and do either one of them justice. The Note 2 is an extremely nice phone, fast, fluid, just an all around great device. On the other hand iPhone is exactly the same, extremely nice and capable. I prefer the screen size and battery life of the note 2, they brought a whole new meaning to "go big, or go home". In that same way I prefer iOS over android, to me it makes sense. It's painful to use a smaller screen sometimes but I will choose to do so until my eyes can't take it anymore.
Anyways I wish Apple would get there heads out of the sand, I'm not a woman but even I know anyone says "size is unimportant" doesn't have any size. If you have to compromise on simple LTE things like battery size, and simultaneous voice and data on CDMA networks, you phone is too small. Don't even get me started on the whole "newer and better" lightening connector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bekrah

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I feel like you can't even compare the two phones and do either one of them justice. The Note 2 is an extremely nice phone, fast, fluid, just an all around great device. On the other hand iPhone is exactly the same, extremely nice and capable. I prefer the screen size and battery life of the note 2, they brought a whole new meaning to "go big, or go home". In that same way I prefer iOS over android, to me it makes sense. It's painful to use a smaller screen sometimes but I will choose to do so until my eyes can't take it anymore.
Anyways I wish Apple would get there heads out of the sand, I'm not a woman but even I know anyone says "size is unimportant" doesn't have any size. If you have to compromise on simple LTE things like battery size, and simultaneous voice and data on CDMA networks, you phone is too small. Don't even get me started on the whole "newer and better" lightening connector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really do wish that Apple would release a 5.5" iPhone along side a 4" one as well. I would buy a 5+" screen iPhone without hesitation. It would be a win/win for both parties.
I have previously owned 3 Android devices and 2 of them had 4.3" displays and I do miss having a "man sized" phone in my grips.
I do love my iPhone 5 though as well as the stability associated with iOS and the fact that it works flawlessly with my aftermarket car stereo.
If Android had a less buggier platform as well as the 3rd party peripheral support than Apple has then I would most likely go back to Android because I LOVE the screen sizes that are offered with their platform.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk