Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS 7

Default iPhone 5 or not....?!

Hello everyone,

I just am seeking some words of advice.
    Let me begin telling the story.
    So this past week, (many of you know) that Tmobile finally received the iPhone 5. It costs 99 dollars up front, and then there are the no contract plans. I now have the opportunity to upgrade from the 4S to the 5 when it comes out on the 12th of April. My question to you all is whether or not it is worth the upgrade especially when the iPhone 5s will be out in the summer. (According to rumors ). I'm leaning toward upgrading because my 4S has terrible battery life. I believe I'm going to schedule a genius appointment, and attempt to get a replacement. As I digress, I'm open to any suggestions/feedback.
    Thanks so much!!
    Sent from my classy 5C using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    22,284 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: iPhone 5 or not....?!

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneandJesusLover View Post
    Hello everyone,

So this past week, (many of you know) that Tmobile finally received the iPhone 5. It costs 99 dollars up front, and then there are the no contract plans. I now have the opportunity to upgrade from the 4S to the 5 when it comes out on the 12th of April. My question to you all is whether or not it is worth the upgrade especially when the iPhone 5s will be out in the summer. (According to rumors ). I'm leaning toward upgrading because my 4S has terrible battery life. I believe I'm going to schedule a genius appointment, and attempt to get a replacement. As I digress, I'm open to any suggestions/feedback.
    Thanks so much!!
    Yes, the iPhone 5 is worth the upgrade, in my opinion. As for battery life, I have excellent battery life with the iPhone 5 for my usage (medium to heavy) and i had excellent battery life with the 4S, but others have complained that their battery life is sub par. As for T-mobile, I wish I could determine how well data is handled with the iPhone on its network, but I can't. Hopefully, you will find it suitable to your needs. Anyway, good luck on your decision and have a great night...
    Thanked by:
    iPhoneandJesusLover (03-29-2013)
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    548 Global Posts

I think you were wanting opinions on upgrading to i5 or wait until the i5s is released and I am also wondering the same thing. I'm going to hold on strong and wait for the latest and greatest (this year anyway). I'm glad that Apple only releases one phone per year though.
    Thanked by:
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,611 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I would say go ahead and do the upgrade. The i5 rumors are just that. Rumors. Who know when it's really going to be released.

Sent from my iPhone via iMore Forums app
    Thanked by:
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts

The 5s should only be an incremental upgrade, likely a speed bump and possibly NFC.
    I could paint a masterpiece with all the colors of your ignorance.

I'm going to go against the curve If you are the type who keeps their phone for the full two year contract (honestly I am not sure how Tmobile works now so that may not apply), I would think waiting what might only be another 3 months might be worth it to do. Like others have said, the upgrade likely will not be a major upgrade. However, it is almost a given that the camera and processor will be improved. Perhaps battery life as well? Maybe more storage? Added security features or NFC? Truth is we won't know for sure until Apple takes the stage. But be sure to ask yourself, if you get the 5 in a few weeks, and the 5S is indeed released at the end of June with any of these additions, will you be kicking yourself for not having waited? If you do not think so, then get the 5. If you feel you might wish you had waited, then hold out a little longer since it sounds like your current device is capable, just not ideal.
    Thanked by:
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,523 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Hello everyone,

Thanks so much!!
    Who told you the iPhone 5s was coming out this summer?

The iPhone 5 is a worthy upgrade.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts

Is your iPhone 4's battery life seriously impacting your life? If the thing can't last half a day and you're missing important phone calls and because of your job/schooling you can't recharge it, get a new phone. If it dies at the end of the day but you can keep it plugged in at work and have a car charger, just wait. Even if it is annoying.

I would say wait for the iPhone 5s if you can. It will be a minor upgrade, but an upgrade- probably faster processor, a few new hardware tricks, and a few extra software tricks that the iPhone 5 can't have. Unless you jailbreak. Sure, nobody knows when this will be released, but it will be released soon- summer to fall. I've owned several phones and the ones that I enjoyed the most and had no buyer's regrets were phones that I bought within a 1-3 months of its release. Buy at the end of the cycle and in a few months a) a better phone came out and you will regret your purchase and b) even if you don't care about the new phone, the older phone you bought will now be sold at a cheaper price.
    Thanked by:
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,902 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Words of advice...

Buy...What...You...Want.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    Thanked by:
    abaggy likes this.

Global Posts
    11,891 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    Words of advice...

Buy...What...You...Want.
    And go against the crowd-sourced wisdom? Heresy!!

ooooo.... "crowd-sourced wisdom"... I think I just found an addition to my oxymoron list...
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    Thanked by:
    iPhoneandJesusLover (03-29-2013), GibMcFragger (03-30-2013)
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS 7

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Yes, the iPhone 5 is worth the upgrade, in my opinion. As for battery life, I have excellent battery life with the iPhone 5 for my usage (medium to heavy) and i had excellent battery life with the 4S, but others have complained that their battery life is sub par. As for T-mobile, I wish I could determine how well data is handled with the iPhone on its network, but I can't. Hopefully, you will find it suitable to your needs. Anyway, good luck on your decision and have a great night...
    Hi,
    Thanks so much for your response.
    I completely understand where you are coming from.
    I'm still deciding whether or not I should upgrade, or wait for the iPhone 5s.
    Thanks,
    iPhoneandJesusLover
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS 7

Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    Who told you the iPhone 5s was coming out this summer?

The iPhone 5 is a worthy upgrade.
    Rumors from various websites!!
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS 7

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    Words of advice...

Buy...What...You...Want.
    Thanks for the short, sweet, and to the point advice!
    (No sarcasm involved)

Global Posts
    22,284 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Hi,
    Thanks so much for your response.
    I completely understand where you are coming from.
    I'm still deciding whether or not I should upgrade, or wait for the iPhone 5s.
    Thanks,
    iPhoneandJesusLover
    You're very welcome. Also, personally speaking, I honestly do not think I will say, "ah man, I should have waited for the 5S" when it is released. The iPhone 5 is downright awesome and that is coming from a guy who vigorously promoted the iPhone 4S, had every intention of skipping the 5 for the 5S and now regret not getting the iPhone 5 sooner. Anyway, have a great day...
    Thanked by:
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,681 Global Posts

WAIT!!!

You've come this far, may as well stick it out. IMO when I pick up a piece of tech I'd like it to be the "latest" for as long as possible (since I stick out my contract).

You can be happy with the ip5 for about the next 6 months (tops, I'd estimate), or 12 months with the 5S. Plus, youre already rocking an iphone, its not like you have a flip phone or something
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    22,284 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by EauRouge View Post
    WAIT!!!

You've come this far, may as well stick it out. IMO when I pick up a piece of tech I'd like it to be the "latest" for as long as possible (since I stick out my contract).

You can be happy with the ip5 for about the next 6 months (tops, I'd estimate), or 12 months with the 5S. Plus, youre already rocking an iphone, its not like you have a flip phone or something
    Why would he only be happy with one device for 6 months & the other for 12?.....
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,681 Global Posts

Why would he only be happy with one device for 6 months & the other for 12?.....
    Neurosis really lol. I'd still be "happy", but there is a certain feeling that you (I) only get when I know its the best possible. So typically with a my cycle is as such: get a phone at launch, spend the first year enjoying the feeling that you have the latest and greatest, and the second year still enjoying the phone, but waiting for the next one. Lately, I've broken that cycle and have used a lot of phones in the last 12 months, but I'm back to settling down.

So I, and perhaps the OP, may want to maximize the "latest and greatest" feeling. Thus, it makes sense to wait at this point
    Thanked by:
  18. Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS 7

WAIT!!!

I see.
    Thanks for the advice.
    I think when the 12th rolls around I'm going to go to Tmobile and see the 5 in person. Otherwise, I kind of agree.
    I think I might go ahead and wait until the summer ( guessing based on upon rumors) when the 5S comes out.
    If the 5S comes out in the fall, not the summer; then I might as well get the 5.

Thanks again!
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS 7

You're very welcome. Also, personally speaking, I honestly do not think I will say, "ah man, I should have waited for the 5S" when it is released. The iPhone 5 is downright awesome and that is coming from a guy who vigorously promoted the iPhone 4S, had every intention of skipping the 5 for the 5S and now regret not getting the iPhone 5 sooner. Anyway, have a great day...
    I know.
    I was going to skip it too.
    Now I'm reconsidering.
    (Although see the post above this one)
    Thanks!
  20. Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS 7

Oh Yeah, I'm also hoping that iOS 7 will bring some exciting new changes. So, when I upgrade, it really will be worthwhile. Just thought about that. Thought I might add it to the Thread.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    And go against the crowd-sourced wisdom? Heresy!!

ooooo.... "crowd-sourced wisdom"... I think I just found an addition to my oxymoron list...
    Nice. I love the "crowd-sourced wisdom" comment. I may actually hold onto that for application in other areas of my life. Very quote-able.
    Back to the topic. I waited 3 months for the iP5, using the BB Torch the entire time...and I survived. I am glad I did cuz I love the iP5. It is hard to believe that there will be too many dramatic improvements to the iP5S so...I guess I will defer to seanHRCC. Get what you want.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    652 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by projectman View Post
    Nice. I love the "crowd-sourced wisdom" comment. I may actually hold onto that for application in other areas of my life. Very quote-able.
    Back to the topic. I waited 3 months for the iP5, using the BB Torch the entire time...and I survived. I am glad I did cuz I love the iP5. It is hard to believe that there will be too many dramatic improvements to the iP5S so...I guess I will defer to seanHRCC. Get what you want.
    Wise advise.

Global Posts
    22,284 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Neurosis really lol. I'd still be "happy", but there is a certain feeling that you (I) only get when I know its the best possible. So typically with a my cycle is as such: get a phone at launch, spend the first year enjoying the feeling that you have the latest and greatest, and the second year still enjoying the phone, but waiting for the next one. Lately, I've broken that cycle and have used a lot of phones in the last 12 months, but I'm back to settling down.

So I, and perhaps the OP, may want to maximize the "latest and greatest" feeling. Thus, it makes sense to wait at this point
    I knew what you were saying and was just messing with you...
    EauRouge likes this.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    5.1/6.0

You can always get the 5 with new line then upgrade when the new one comes out. That's what I'm gonna do. My 4s will be handed down to my son
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

I would say it depends on how often you upgrade. Conventional wisdom would say if your phone works, wait. Of course, we all know convetional wisdom doesn't always rule where tech toys are concerned. If you upgrade each time you contract's up, or you don't think your phone will last a few more months, then it makes sense to upgrade now. However, if you are someone who keeps their phone a long time, you may want to consider waiting, since, if Apple keeps doing things the way they have, the 5 s will be good for a year longer than the 5. I would think if you have the cabbage, the 5 is worth it. I just got a 4 s and if I'd had the extra $100 available, i would've got a 5 for sure.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast