iPhone 5 or not....?!

iPhoneandJesusLover

May 23, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I just am seeking some words of advice.
Let me begin telling the story.
So this past week, (many of you know) that Tmobile finally received the iPhone 5. It costs 99 dollars up front, and then there are the no contract plans. I now have the opportunity to upgrade from the 4S to the 5 when it comes out on the 12th of April. My question to you all is whether or not it is worth the upgrade especially when the iPhone 5s will be out in the summer. (According to rumors ). I'm leaning toward upgrading because my 4S has terrible battery life. I believe I'm going to schedule a genius appointment, and attempt to get a replacement. As I digress, I'm open to any suggestions/feedback.
Thanks so much!!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,

So this past week, (many of you know) that Tmobile finally received the iPhone 5. It costs 99 dollars up front, and then there are the no contract plans. I now have the opportunity to upgrade from the 4S to the 5 when it comes out on the 12th of April. My question to you all is whether or not it is worth the upgrade especially when the iPhone 5s will be out in the summer. (According to rumors ). I'm leaning toward upgrading because my 4S has terrible battery life. I believe I'm going to schedule a genius appointment, and attempt to get a replacement. As I digress, I'm open to any suggestions/feedback.
Thanks so much!!

Yes, the iPhone 5 is worth the upgrade, in my opinion. As for battery life, I have excellent battery life with the iPhone 5 for my usage (medium to heavy) and i had excellent battery life with the 4S, but others have complained that their battery life is sub par. As for T-mobile, I wish I could determine how well data is handled with the iPhone on its network, but I can't. Hopefully, you will find it suitable to your needs. Anyway, good luck on your decision and have a great night...;)

that_maynard

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I think you were wanting opinions on upgrading to i5 or wait until the i5s is released and I am also wondering the same thing. I'm going to hold on strong and wait for the latest and greatest (this year anyway). I'm glad that Apple only releases one phone per year though.

li2327

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I would say go ahead and do the upgrade. The i5 rumors are just that. Rumors. Who know when it's really going to be released.

Sent from my iPhone via iMore Forums app

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to go against the curve :) If you are the type who keeps their phone for the full two year contract (honestly I am not sure how Tmobile works now so that may not apply), I would think waiting what might only be another 3 months might be worth it to do. Like others have said, the upgrade likely will not be a major upgrade. However, it is almost a given that the camera and processor will be improved. Perhaps battery life as well? Maybe more storage? Added security features or NFC? Truth is we won't know for sure until Apple takes the stage. But be sure to ask yourself, if you get the 5 in a few weeks, and the 5S is indeed released at the end of June with any of these additions, will you be kicking yourself for not having waited? If you do not think so, then get the 5. If you feel you might wish you had waited, then hold out a little longer since it sounds like your current device is capable, just not ideal.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Thanks so much!!

Who told you the iPhone 5s was coming out this summer?

The iPhone 5 is a worthy upgrade.

Larry Pager

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Is your iPhone 4's battery life seriously impacting your life? If the thing can't last half a day and you're missing important phone calls and because of your job/schooling you can't recharge it, get a new phone. If it dies at the end of the day but you can keep it plugged in at work and have a car charger, just wait. Even if it is annoying.

I would say wait for the iPhone 5s if you can. It will be a minor upgrade, but an upgrade- probably faster processor, a few new hardware tricks, and a few extra software tricks that the iPhone 5 can't have. Unless you jailbreak. Sure, nobody knows when this will be released, but it will be released soon- summer to fall. I've owned several phones and the ones that I enjoyed the most and had no buyer's regrets were phones that I bought within a 1-3 months of its release. Buy at the end of the cycle and in a few months a) a better phone came out and you will regret your purchase and b) even if you don't care about the new phone, the older phone you bought will now be sold at a cheaper price.

iPhoneandJesusLover

May 23, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the iPhone 5 is worth the upgrade, in my opinion. As for battery life, I have excellent battery life with the iPhone 5 for my usage (medium to heavy) and i had excellent battery life with the 4S, but others have complained that their battery life is sub par. As for T-mobile, I wish I could determine how well data is handled with the iPhone on its network, but I can't. Hopefully, you will find it suitable to your needs. Anyway, good luck on your decision and have a great night...;)

Hi,
Thanks so much for your response.
I completely understand where you are coming from.
I'm still deciding whether or not I should upgrade, or wait for the iPhone 5s.
Thanks,
iPhoneandJesusLover

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
Thanks so much for your response.
I completely understand where you are coming from.
I'm still deciding whether or not I should upgrade, or wait for the iPhone 5s.
Thanks,
iPhoneandJesusLover
You're very welcome. Also, personally speaking, I honestly do not think I will say, "ah man, I should have waited for the 5S" when it is released. The iPhone 5 is downright awesome and that is coming from a guy who vigorously promoted the iPhone 4S, had every intention of skipping the 5 for the 5S and now regret not getting the iPhone 5 sooner. Anyway, have a great day...:)

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
WAIT!!!

You've come this far, may as well stick it out. IMO when I pick up a piece of tech I'd like it to be the "latest" for as long as possible (since I stick out my contract).

You can be happy with the ip5 for about the next 6 months (tops, I'd estimate), or 12 months with the 5S. Plus, youre already rocking an iphone, its not like you have a flip phone or something

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
WAIT!!!

You've come this far, may as well stick it out. IMO when I pick up a piece of tech I'd like it to be the "latest" for as long as possible (since I stick out my contract).

You can be happy with the ip5 for about the next 6 months (tops, I'd estimate), or 12 months with the 5S. Plus, youre already rocking an iphone, its not like you have a flip phone or something

Why would he only be happy with one device for 6 months & the other for 12?.....:D

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Why would he only be happy with one device for 6 months & the other for 12?.....:D

Neurosis really lol. I'd still be "happy", but there is a certain feeling that you (I) only get when I know its the best possible. So typically with a my cycle is as such: get a phone at launch, spend the first year enjoying the feeling that you have the latest and greatest, and the second year still enjoying the phone, but waiting for the next one. Lately, I've broken that cycle and have used a lot of phones in the last 12 months, but I'm back to settling down.

So I, and perhaps the OP, may want to maximize the "latest and greatest" feeling. Thus, it makes sense to wait at this point

iPhoneandJesusLover

May 23, 2012
Visit site
WAIT!!!

I see.
Thanks for the advice.
I think when the 12th rolls around I'm going to go to Tmobile and see the 5 in person. Otherwise, I kind of agree.
I think I might go ahead and wait until the summer ( guessing based on upon rumors) when the 5S comes out.
If the 5S comes out in the fall, not the summer; then I might as well get the 5.

Thanks again!

iPhoneandJesusLover

May 23, 2012
Visit site
You're very welcome. Also, personally speaking, I honestly do not think I will say, "ah man, I should have waited for the 5S" when it is released. The iPhone 5 is downright awesome and that is coming from a guy who vigorously promoted the iPhone 4S, had every intention of skipping the 5 for the 5S and now regret not getting the iPhone 5 sooner. Anyway, have a great day...:)

I know.
I was going to skip it too.
Now I'm reconsidering.
(Although see the post above this one)
Thanks! :)

iPhoneandJesusLover

May 23, 2012
Visit site
Oh Yeah, I'm also hoping that iOS 7 will bring some exciting new changes. So, when I upgrade, it really will be worthwhile. Just thought about that. Thought I might add it to the Thread. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR