Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    ios5

Default Upgrade to iPhone 5

My wife and I bought the iPhone 4 about a year and a half ago (just before the 4S was available) we both have had many issues with the device(s) since getting them. We have bought many apps and music so we are on the fence as to wether or not we should buy the iPhone 5 (or 5S when it is released) she is considering buying the Galaxy S4, so I was wanting to get some input from people who may have or currently have both an hear what they recommend. Thanks
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts

Default Re: Upgrade to iPhone 5

I'd highly recommend the 5, I'm considering getting the 5S when it is released

Sent from the Forbidden Fruit

Global Posts
    20,279 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Although I do not have the Galaxy S4, I do have an iPhone 5 and did have the iPhone 4S up until a week ago and I've never had a problem with neither device. If you are already invested in the Apple ecosystem, I would recommend that you continue with Apple. The 4S and the 5 are night and day in regard to the 4, in 'my' opinion. The speed alone is worth the upgrade, but I'm curious to know what kind of problems you were having with your iPhone 4? A lot of times, backing up the device to iTunes or iCloud and then restoring it as new via iTunes often fixes problems.
    zeteo and bradenfontaine like this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,235 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

I've had nothing but a perfect experience with the iPhone 5 thus far...the same could be said for the 4S too and really, every generation of iPhone since inception, so i don't think my view helps you.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    JustMe'D and revtech like this.

Global Posts
    20,279 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    I've had nothing but a perfect experience with the iPhone 5 thus far...the same could be said for the 4S too and really, every generation of iPhone since inception, so i don't think my view helps you.
    By the way, Sean, I've come to discover that everything you stated about the iPhone 5 when it was initially released has been proven to be true and my initial observations at that time were premature at best. The iPhone 5 is downright awesome....
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts

Agreed, I don't foresee myself returning to Android.

iPhone Beginner

What are some of the problems you were facing? I am sure they can fixed so you can be satisfied with the iPhone. Remember, there is always a big risk in switching from something you are so used to. You will either love or hate the Galaxy S4. Ask a close friend who owns a galaxy s3 or go into a store and play around with it before you make a decision.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    ios5

Default Upgrade to iPhone 5

I'd say the main issue is the device is extremely slow (I came from Blackberry and it is much slower than that). I have taken them into Apple several times and had the device restored to factory, I have done it a few times myself via iTunes with not much difference. The battery life is horrible it takes hours to charge and then only lasts about 3 hours when it's not in use (apple says there's nothing wrong with the battery) and now when my wife plugged her device in this morning it gives the spinning circle icon and just keeps vibrating until she unplugs it she did a reboot and it continued and a little while later it stopped an began charging. If it wasn't for these issues I don't think we would even think twice about getting the iPhone 5 or whatever is out when we decide to do it. Personally my only dislike is the speed and battery. Also, just a note we were having these same issues on IOS5 and they have only gotten worse since being forced to go to IOS6 when apple did the restore.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts

I wouldn't hesitate going to the 5. Sounds like its just time for an upgrade.

iPhone Beginner

Yeah there are a ton of satisfied iphone 5 users, especially here on the forums. Definitely sounds like it is time for an upgrade.
    bradenfontaine likes this.

Global Posts
    20,279 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by bustermin View Post
    I'd say the main issue is the device is extremely slow (I came from Blackberry and it is much slower than that). I have taken them into Apple several times and had the device restored to factory, I have done it a few times myself via iTunes with not much difference. The battery life is horrible it takes hours to charge and then only lasts about 3 hours when it's not in use (apple says there's nothing wrong with the battery) and now when my wife plugged her device in this morning it gives the spinning circle icon and just keeps vibrating until she unplugs it she did a reboot and it continued and a little while later it stopped an began charging. If it wasn't for these issues I don't think we would even think twice about getting the iPhone 5 or whatever is out when we decide to do it. Personally my only dislike is the speed and battery. Also, just a note we were having these same issues on IOS5 and they have only gotten worse since being forced to go to IOS6 when apple did the restore.
    Then upgrade to the iPhone 5. The speed increase is almost breath-taking in comparison to the 4. My advocacy of the iPhone 4S is well-known throughout this forum and I stand by my comments because it is a heckuva device, but the 5 is even more amazing and I'm being straightforward & upfront. That is my personal recommendation. Good luck on your decision...
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    ios5

Quote Originally Posted by bradenfontaine View Post
    Agreed, I don't foresee myself returning to Android.

What made you switch from android, was it issues with the device or operating system or just wanted something new? Can you give me some likes and dislikes for both? Thanks
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts

What made you switch from android, was it issues with the device or operating system or just wanted something new? Can you give me some likes and dislikes for both? Thanks
    My Experience

From a Different Point of View
    Thanked by:
    bustermin (03-27-2013), llfloyd79 (04-06-2013), revtech (04-23-2013)
    JustMe'D likes this.
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    ios5

Quote Originally Posted by bradenfontaine View Post
    Just what I was looking for. Didn't see that when I did a search... Thanks
    Thanked by:
    bradenfontaine (03-27-2013)
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts

Anytime

iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

I myself considering return to iOS. I have and had and has great experience with android but all the phone that I used android devices all gets hot after certain amount of use . Like after playing games or watching over 30 minx. I will miss the big screen but all the devices s3,s2 htc Evo 4g lte n now nexus 4 . I love android but will just wait for better device I guess , I have iPhone 5 and its great device better front camera looks great feels great . Will miss tons of great features from android tho. Now I need to trAde AT&T with tmobile iPhone . Hope I can do it soon

Global Posts
    3,508 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

If it was slower than a Blackberry then this was a phone issue. For the time I had an iPhone 4 it was not even
    close to the lack of speed that Blackberries had for me. Not even close.

All that should be said has been said in this thread about upgrading to an iP5. That said, if you upgrade, you
    have your 14 days to try it out. That will be your best bet. Real hands-on experience.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 5S 64GB
    Galaxy Note 3
    iPad Mini with Retina 32gb
    Thanked by:
    bustermin (03-27-2013)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,235 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    By the way, Sean, I've come to discover that everything you stated about the iPhone 5 when it was initially released has been proven to be true and my initial observations at that time were premature at best. The iPhone 5 is downright awesome....
    It really is...and coming from someone who loved their 4S, the 5 was just a substantial improvement on so many levels (and that is not including the screen, which initially i wasn't thrilled with, but feel it's perfect for me now). The performance, the battery life, the camera...and above all, the LTE data service. It's just incredible. This is the best iPhone I've had so far (as i would expect with the newest iteration). I don't know what to expect on the next one, looking forward to seeing what we're in for though...
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,404 Global Posts
    iOS Version

My wife and I bought the iPhone 4 about a year and a half ago (just before the 4S was available) we both have had many issues with the device(s) since getting them. We have bought many apps and music so we are on the fence as to wether or not we should buy the iPhone 5 (or 5S when it is released) she is considering buying the Galaxy S4, so I was wanting to get some input from people who may have or currently have both an hear what they recommend. Thanks
    The iPhone 5 is hands down the best iPhone yet. You would notice a huge improvement over the 4. I recently left iPhone to try Android as well but came back to iPhone; practically running back.

I'm curious what issues you have been having with your iP4?

Global Posts
    20,279 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    It really is...and coming from someone who loved their 4S, the 5 was just a substantial improvement on so many levels (and that is not including the screen, which initially i wasn't thrilled with, but feel it's perfect for me now). The performance, the battery life, the camera...and above all, the LTE data service. It's just incredible. This is the best iPhone I've had so far (as i would expect with the newest iteration). I don't know what to expect on the next one, looking forward to seeing what we're in for though...
    You are spot-on, and although the next iteration will be an improvement of some sort, I can't see the improvements, at least in regard to what matters to me, being great enough to cause me to regret getting the 5. I just can't see it.
    Thanked by:
    revtech (04-23-2013)
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    903 Global Posts

I am probably beating a dead horse at this point, but I am in full agreement with all of you. When I go to do something on my daughter's iphone 4, it is night and day in terms of speed. And regardless what some might say, the extra half inch screen real estate is indeed noticeable and nice. Where I have truly seen the difference is in jailbreaking. While I am not recommending anyone jailbreak their device, in my experience, I have yet to notice a performance breech since adding the numerous tweeks and changes to my 5. I cannot say that has been the case in the past for me. Apple did a fantastic job cramming all the improvement they did in a much lighter, thinner, and gorgeous device.

I have owned, at least for the 14 day trial period, the Galaxy S3 and the Galaxy Note 2. For me personally, the iphone 5 is the top dog in my world.
  22. Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    ios5

I appreciate everyone's input and advice I think we will wait for the next iPhone to be released and then upgrade I assume it will be out some time this year and we have suffered this long what's a few more months....
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version

I say, unless you know specifically why you wont to switch to the S4, then stick with iPhone, no matter which one I love my iPhone 5!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts

I am thinking of switching to the iPhone from Windows Phone. The issues I am having with WP8 are endless to say the least. Is there some sort of notification center on the lock screen for emails and such like in WP8?

Global Posts
    20,279 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by eastbayrae View Post
    I am thinking of switching to the iPhone from Windows Phone. The issues I am having with WP8 are endless to say the least. Is there some sort of notification center on the lock screen for emails and such like in WP8?
    You can receive notification on the iPhone lockscreen for email, text messages, game alerts, Social networking alerts, calendar & reminderalerts , etcetera.
    Thanked by:
    eastbayrae (03-27-2013)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast