Any new news on the T-Mobile iPhone ???

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Whatever people think of Tmo's coverage or the way they're handling subsidies/no subsidies
and contracts/no contracts, it gives the consumer another choice. I'd rather have that than
when the only option for an iPhone in the U.S.A. was AT&T and nothing else.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You obviously haven't experienced Sprint.

I hear that. I have not used T-mobile here in North Carolina, but in Orlando, its service was very reliable. Sprint was reliable for the most part, but its data service was slow.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Right. But you can't just get the phone and no service contract like many seemed to think. Unless you keep the phone for 24 months of service, it must be returned to them or purchased for the higher price. It's an interesting and confusing strategy.

I have just confirmed this today. If I wanted to purchase the device and take it overseas, it's required to pay full retail or keep the phone for 24 months on T-Mobile.

Your cell service is month to month... if you end service, you either pay off the remaining balance on the hardware, or give the hardware back... you're not obligated to pay for 24 months of cell service. The only obligation is on the hardware.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Your cell service is month to month... if you end service, you either pay off the remaining balance on the hardware, or give the hardware back... you're not obligated to pay for 24 months of cell service. The only obligation is on the hardware.

Exactly. So it's a lot like other carriers, just a slightly different strategy. You're not tied into a service contract, but you can't keep the phone without either paying retail or keeping the contract.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
As the OP of this thread I'm kinda surprised some of you are surprised that TM will start selling a TM iphone,,,,, even last week a reply to my thread was ,,,,,,,,"It is unlikely that T-Mobile will become a reseller of iPhones OEMed by apple for T-Mobile.... never say never... but right now, not likely. If it ever comes to pass, iMore will report on it "

The deal signed between Apple and TM was back in Dec 2012 and was big news back then, the only information missing was a release date.

Cheers
Davyo

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I thought it to be unlikely... yet here we are - it came to pass... I did also say 'never say never'...

More info on issues discussed above... from Endgadget:
...what happens if users buy an "Uncarrier" phone and then cancel service. As it turns out, a purchased T-Mobile iPhone must be bought out, but users also have the option of continuing to make monthly payments or trading it in for another device. When trading it in, T-Mobile will provide "fair market credit" for the phone.

Gizmodo hands-on with a T-Mobile iPhone

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile is taking over the world.

Hardly....

The real thing to look out for is a rumored deal in the works for AT&T to hook up with Vodafone... and for Verizon Communications to take over Voda's stake in Verizon Wireless and own that in full.

fightcrazy

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I guess you don't know as much as you think. T-Mobile is taking over the world. I love T-Mobile.
Vinny

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I guess you don't know as much as you think. T-Mobile is taking over the world. I love T-Mobile.
Vinny

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Don't worry Vinny,,, even though "KCH" is a moderator he does get stuff wrong,,,,,, on this thread he posted just a week or two ago that it was unlikely T-Mo would be getting the iphone and that Apple would not be selling a T Mo branded iphone,,, he posted that even though Apple and T Mo had signed just that exact deal and made it offical in Dec 2012,,, and it was pretty big news when that deal was signed way back in Dec 2012 and ALL the mainstream news sources reported on it,,,, CNN, Yahoo, MSN,,,, everybody reported the story as it was such a big deal !!!

Anyhow,, I did find it odd that a moderator of an iphone forum was not aware of this rather big news,,,, not slamming the moderator,,, I just found it odd that he didn't know about such a major iphone deal being made 4 or 5 months ago.

And yes,,,, from all I have reading for the last 6 months TM is positioning itself to really be a very strong force against ATT and Verizon in the very near future,,,,,

Cheers
Davyo

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
There sure are some T-Mobile fans out there who love their carrier so much. It's crazy. They are worse than BlackBerry fanboys.

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
There sure are some T-Mobile fans out there who love their carrier so much. It's crazy. They are worse than BlackBerry fanboys.

Without question I am a big fan of TM,,,, I was with ATT before they were ATT , I was with Cingular before they became Cingular,,, before that they were called Nevada Bell,,,I finnaly left ATT/Cingular/Nevada Bell to go with Verizon, because of what I felt was a much better selection of VZ phones than what ATT had to offer,,,,, I never even looked at TM as I considered them a cut rate BS carrier.

I finally did give TM a chance because I was getting tons of dropped/missed calls with VZ,,, more than I had gotten with ATT,,, and TM was way cheaper so I figured I would give them a try,,,,,,,,, to my total shock I have not had one single dropped or missed call ever, at all, never with TM,,,, (Ive been with TM for about 4 or 5 months now)

I was paying $120.00 a month with ATT for NOT unlimited and $130.00 a month with VZ for NOT unlimited,,,,,,,, with TM I am now paying $50.00 a month for Unlimited everything and I'm no longer getting dropped or missed calls like always did with VZ and ATT.

Granted,,, every area of the country is going to have different results, and here in Vegas it was one of the first markets were TM upgraded/refarmed their networks,,,,,,, but for here in Vegas,,,, a big giant yes,,,, I do love TM very very much.

As far as me being a fanboy for TM like a crazed BB fanboy,,,,, all I can say is you simply have no idea how far off base you are,,,an example,, I'm typing this right now on my iPad while I'm checking my emails on my Galaxy Nexus 10 tablet,,, I also have an iPad mini in the bedroom, I just got rid of my Samsung 7" tab cuz i was not using it that much,,, I own Windows PC's but am thinkin pretty hard about getting a Mac,,,,,, I'm currently rocking a Galaxy Note 2 but am preordering the iPhone 5 from Apple or TM,,,,,, I've owned and still own more Andriod, Windows and Apple products than I can even count,,,,,, and I might add,,,, I very much like/love all those platforms and do realize each of their pros and cons.

A fanboy of some product is usually a close minded douchbag that has never had any experience with any product he/she is slamming,,and in most cases when they slam a product they claim they have had experience with the product they are slamming (most of the time that's a lie),,,,, and they only think with one thought "what I own is the best, and everything else sucks",,,, that's what a fanboy is.

Ohhh,,,, and another reason to love TM,,,, Carly is just so much fun to look at,,, but sadly she's perhaps getting dropped from the TM ads,,,, Verizon has that goofy looking nerdy guy with the black rim glass's that only knows how to say one thing,,,,,,,, Carly was eye candy deluxe and the only reason I watched TM's commercials,,,, it will be sad to see her go

Cheers
Davyo

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Ohhh,,,, and another reason to love TM,,,, Carly is just so much fun to look at,,, but sadly she's perhaps getting dropped from the TM ads,,,, Verizon has that goofy looking nerdy guy with the black rim glass's that only knows how to say one thing,,,,,,,, Carly was eye candy deluxe and the only reason I watched TM's commercials,,,, it will be sad to see her go.

Verizon has not used "test man" for years now... - and I'm not aware of big news... pot, meet kettle.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Considering T-Mobile still carries the very real potential of BEING taken over, I'd say that (while very solid), they are hardly front runners. The fact they are just getting the iPhone when the other major carriers already have proves this.

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Considering T-Mobile still carries the very real potential of BEING taken over, I'd say that (while very solid), they are hardly front runners. The fact they are just getting the iPhone when the other major carriers already have proves this.

TM has the potential to be taken over by whom ?????,,, fact check ???

The fact that they are just now getting the iphone is because they didn't cave into Apple like the other carries did,, you might want to read up on the deal they made with Apple,,, as example, Sprint won't make a dime off iPhones for another year or two while TM will be benefiting right away.

TMo timed it right so they wouldn't loose money on the sale of the iphone,,,, the reason the deal happened is because Apple knows it needs to do something quick to not be blown away by Android,,,, Apple could once call all the shots with all the carriers, not so much anymore with the growing popularity of Andriod.

Anyhow,, you might want to read up on the Apple TMo deal and then read up on the deals ATT, VZ and Sprint had to do with Apple.

Cheers
Davyo

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site

The fact that they are just now getting the iphone is because they didn't cave into Apple like the other carries did,, you might want to read up on the deal they made with Apple,,, as example, Sprint won't make a dime off iPhones for another year or two while TM will be benefiting right away.

TMo timed it right so they wouldn't loose money on the sale of the iphone,,,, the reason the deal happened is because Apple knows it needs to do something quick to not be blown away by Android,,,, Apple could once call all the shots with all the carriers, not so much anymore with the growing popularity of Andriod.

Anyhow,, you might want to read up on the Apple TMo deal and then read up on the deals ATT, VZ and Sprint had to do with Apple.

Cheers
Davyo

I believe you need to do some fact checking of your own. T-Mobile is not in a very good place financially. The new UN-contract plans and iPhone deal is a last chance effort to try and turn the company around. They never had the iPhone before because the company didn't have the money or ability to make it happen. They are putting everything they have into the deal now.

Here are a few of the issues causing them financial trouble.

They have taken on so many prepaid customers that those customers aren't paying back enough to allow TMo to pay the bills and build out the network at the same time.

They have taken on tons of contracts with bad customers. T-Mobile has always been the carrier that would accept anyone, regardless of credit or ability to pay. AT&T and Verizon have been requiring a job and credit check for many, many years to get a phone. Unless it's changed recently, T-mobile doesn't require these checks and anyone can come in to get a phone, use it for a few months while racking up a bill, and then not pay. This has happened so much to them that its both draining them financially and dropping their customer numbers.

They also haven't invested into network technology like AT&T, Verizon, and even Sprint have. They are just putting out 4G in a few cities. Verizon already covers the majority of the country with 4G, AT&T has about half, and Sprint has a decent coverage area. T-Mobile? They have like 7 cities.

They are putting all their hope into the new plans and the new iPhone deal. If it doesn't work out for them in the next six months to a year, look for either some type of FCC financial protection deal, a merger, or complete takeover.

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

Cheers
Davyo

You do know that AT&T was all set to buy them right? If it wasn't for the Federal government getting involved tmobile wouldn't be here in the United States anymore.

The reason they are doing better now is because of the 4 billion dollars had to give them, or something close to that amount.

I would love to see tmobile have a lot of success with these new plans.

But the fact remains they are in last place out of the bit four and most likely to be bought out.

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I believe you need to do some fact checking of your own. T-Mobile is not in a very good place financially. The new UN-contract plans and iPhone deal is a last chance effort to try and turn the company around. They never had the iPhone before because the company didn't have the money or ability to make it happen. They are putting everything they have into the deal now.

Here are a few of the issues causing them financial trouble.

They have taken on so many prepaid customers that those customers aren't paying back enough to allow TMo to pay the bills and build out the network at the same time.

They have taken on tons of contracts with bad customers. T-Mobile has always been the carrier that would accept anyone, regardless of credit or ability to pay. AT&T and Verizon have been requiring a job and credit check for many, many years to get a phone. Unless it's changed recently, T-mobile doesn't require these checks and anyone can come in to get a phone, use it for a few months while racking up a bill, and then not pay. This has happened so much to them that its both draining them financially and dropping their customer numbers.

They also haven't invested into network technology like AT&T, Verizon, and even Sprint have. They are just putting out 4G in a few cities. Verizon already covers the majority of the country with 4G, AT&T has about half, and Sprint has a decent coverage area. T-Mobile? They have like 7 cities.

They are putting all their hope into the new plans and the new iPhone deal. If it doesn't work out for them in the next six months to a year, look for either some type of FCC financial protection deal, a merger, or complete takeover.

Well, your fact checks and my fact checks don't seem to match up 100% so I guess will just have to agree to disagree.

Cheers
Davyo

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro