question about warranty when exchanging iPhone at Apple Store

gameson

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
So my phone is a bit warmer whenever I play Angry Birds as described in my other thread. Not sure why, but I am thinking of going to the Store sometime to ask them to take a look.

If lets say they are exchanging it for a new device, when will my warranty end? Will the warranty end a year from the exchange date (since the new device is accepted by me on the date of the exchange)? Or the warranty still end on the date you first purchase the defective phone (or first original phone)?

Sorry for the newb question. I never own an Apple product before.

Thanks.

songbird

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
The warranty will be one year from the purchase of the iPhone (unless you've purchased Apple Care, it will be 2).

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
So my phone is a bit warmer whenever I play Angry Birds as described in my other thread. Not sure why, but I am thinking of going to the Store sometime to ask them to take a look.

If lets say they are exchanging it for a new device, when will my warranty end? Will the warranty end a year from the exchange date (since the new device is accepted by me on the date of the exchange)? Or the warranty still end on the date you first purchase the defective phone (or first original phone)?

Thanks.

You can check right on Apple's website when your warranty will expire here by simply entering in your serial number.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The warranty will be one year from the purchase of the iPhone (unless you've purchased Apple Care, it will be 2).

Yep, and according to the iPhone 5 manual:

Apple One-Year Limited Warranty Summary Apple warrants the included hardware
product and accessories against defects in materials and workmanship for one year
from the date of original retail purchase. Apple does not warrant against normal wear
and tear, nor damage caused by accident or abuse. To obtain service, call Apple, or visit
an Apple-owned retail store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider—available service
options depend on the country in which service is requested. iPhone service may be
restricted to the original country of sale. Call charges and international shipping charges
may apply. Full terms and detailed information about obtaining service are available at
Apple - Legal - Hardware Warranties and Apple - Support. You may read and email
a copy of the warranty to yourself during activation. Warranty benefits are in addition to
rights provided under local consumer laws.

gameson

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I see. Thanks for the answer. That's kinda strange that the warranty is from the purchase date, not from the date you own the phone. For example, if you exchange your device within the last few days before the warranty one year period ends, then if the new exchange device is malfunctioning within the warranty term after the warranty ends a year after the first device purchased, then you are not able to exchange even though you only own it for a few days.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Apple will always live up to the printed terms... however, they are known to exceed them... in the circumstances that if someone got a phone under warranty, and some few days later the replacement phone develops issues - they might do another replacement... they handle things like that case by case.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I see. Thanks for the answer. That's kinda strange that the warranty is from the purchase date, not from the date you own the phone. For example, if you exchange your device within the last few days before the warranty one year period ends, then if the new exchange device is malfunctioning within the warranty term after the warranty ends a year after the first device purchased, then you are not able to exchange even though you only own it for a few days.

Well, it's not strange really, it's designed for a number of reasons, one of them is to stop people fraudulently returning the phone right before the warranty is due to expire, getting a new phone and having a fresh warranty.

Anyway, if you swap the phone out and get a replacement, you are protected by consumer goods legislation if the phone goes wrong in the first few days of ownership in the example you give above.

It's definitely not strange, it's universal across pretty much everything ever.

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
the one year warranty will follow your replacement device as well. i bought my phone on october 5th and just had it replaced under warranty for a lock button issue. my new replacement device assumes the rest of my 1 year warranty, where my original leaves off.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
My GS3 gets warm every time I play Angry Birds and it does it with alot of games that take processing power. Its not unusual.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Phones will get warmer when playing games. Nothing wrong with your phone. The next will do the same thing.

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
All repairs -- or replacements -- are covered until either 1 year after the original date of purchase or 90 days, whichever is longer. If your phone is exchanged one day before the end of the that year, you still get an additional three months.

tgjb

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
However, if you bought your iPhone in one of EU states or Switzerland, you have a 2 years warranty for all manufactured products (including Apple products)...
You've to insist a bit to Apple's guy, but it works ('cause legal)...

CU.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Your phone is getting warmer when you play a graphics intensive game, and you're thinking this is a fault with the phone? lol...it's your processor bud, I downloaded Real Racing 3 last night and played it for about 30min. straight and my iPhone 5 was pretty warm too...your computer will do the same thing, iPad, TV, etc...it's the after effect of performing a demanding task like a graphics heavy video game.

avmsam

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site

Thanks.

i'm not sure a warm phone qualifies as detective but take it in and have them look at it anyway.

as for warranty, it's one year from date of purchase.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2