aluminum bezel on the 5 is so fragile... sigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Had mine since day one.

No scratches dings scuffs or any other blems.

No case no screen protectors

Don't even obsess over the phone.

People are just real rough with there stuff and it looks like poop after a month.

Be careful and it will be fine.

sicario666

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Had mine since day one.

No scratches dings scuffs or any other blems.

No case no screen protectors

Don't even obsess over the phone.

People are just real rough with there stuff and it looks like poop after a month.

Be careful and it will be fine.

I'm very careful with my gadgets too. I don't like to spend too much $ on cases cuz I don't drop or mistreat them. But screen protectors are nice to have on. Front and back.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I've had mine for about half of the time naked and the other half of the time with a cheap $5 radio shack clear case (just to prevent scuffing from sitting on tables and desks and in cup holders)...I've banged mine around and hit things accidentally, even dropped it a couple of times without the case on it and it's been fine, the only little mark i noticed was on the Apple itself on the back, and it's like hairline and you have to really stare at it to pick it out.

Not to say your situation didn't happen exactly as you described...and not to go against the idea that the iPhone this go around is more fragile than normal, but a small little tap on a plastic monitor housing isn't normally going to yield the scenario you described, and the fragility of the phone, at least to me, is a non-issue, as it would be with any high end smart phone, there is a certain amount of care one should approach it with anyways.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
This is an interesting point. I obsess about my iPhone not getting scratches however I rarely obsess over anything else getting scratched or dented. My wife scratched the roof of my new car a couple if years back and it didn't bother me much. My laptop has scratches on it and dead pixels on the screen and I don't care. But if my phone gets a little ding or scratch that only I can see, I am ready to hit the roof. I used to tell my wife and my kids that they could not touch my phone under any circumstances. My wife told me I was being mean so I wrapped it up with Griffin Survivor and now have a piece if mind. There must be some sort of condition about this.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Man, if you find the right meeting to go to, let me know. I'm in the same boat. So many things of mine get beat up, scuffed, scratched, etc., and I'm perfectly fine with it. Someone hit my car in a parking lot, didn't do much damage, but probably about $500 worth on my bumper. I was pissed, but got over it quickly, and haven't even fixed it yet. I get a small, barely noticeable to the naked eye scratch on my iPhone or iPad and I want to hurt someone. I have no clue where this comes from. Especially since I'll be selling it and buying the next one in a short while. :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Is this REALLY the most active forums on the net about iOS stuff?
It is one of the most active forums in regard to Apple products.
That's what imore advertises it as but even on the week end only about four topics are commented on or bumped up and in those topics only about 2-3 responses are added?
That depends on the topic as well as what people are doing/feeling at that time. Furthermore, people get tired of responding to the same stuff at times.
I'm not trolling but with the millions upon million of iPhone 5s out there it's hard for me to believe and I know not everyone who owns one will post on a forum but still makes me scratch my head.
You've got to remember that Apple's core customers, a large part of whom purchased the iPhone 5, aren't really the type of people who hang out in forums so with that in mind, it is not surprising that the millions upon million of iPhone 5 owners aren't here or on any other forum posting comments about it. Know what I mean? ...:)

bradenfontaine

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Is this REALLY the most active forums on the net about iOS stuff? That's what imore advertises it as but even on the week end only about four topics are commented on or bumped up and in those topics only about 2-3 responses are added? I'm not trolling but with the millions upon million of iPhone 5s out there it's hard for me to believe and I know not everyone who owns one will post on a forum but still makes me scratch my head.

from my novice experience, the less complaints on a popular forum, the better. from what i can tell i don't really see many (if any) genuine wide spread issues...

komp444

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
(Rubbing chin).... Good points good points. I guess because iOS is not all that customizable is another reason perhaps ppl don't have many questions. I was just use to crack berrys for years. But I do miss the active forum culture that comes with more customizable phones(yet more crash prone phones).

iPhone4iPad

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
i've noticed this myself actually.
It's the amount you care about the phone. you can keep an iPhone 5 the same way you'd keep your blackberry. toss it on the carpet/bed, no screen protector, just a pouch or something.
But it kills you inside to do that, until and unless you really dont care. it's all about the way you treat your phone. afterall having an iphone, is something worth showing off no?

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
(Rubbing chin).... Good points good points. I guess because iOS is not all that customizable is another reason perhaps ppl don't have many questions. I was just use to crack berrys for years. But I do miss the active forum culture that comes with more customizable phones(yet more crash prone phones).

The real action is in the subforum for jailbreaking. That is where the true phone geeks are hashing it out, talking tweaks, modifications, etc. Over here in the mainstream iphone 5 forum most of the noteworthy items have already been likely covered to the max in the 5 months the phone has been out.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Lets stay on topic guys. Nobody wants to have to sift through posts that have nothing to do with the topic the OP created.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Anything made of metal or plastic will scratch over time. Everyday use will do that. Whether its friction from a hand, pocket, purse, holster, whatever. The scratches are part of the life and legacy. Sure, some users may scratch theirs quicker and some materials may scratch quicker. But that's the trade off. The metal of the iPhone is overall stronger and more durable than plastic, it just scratches more easily. If you're that against scratching, get a case.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The hard thing for me is that I want to go naked. The phone is really beautiful and thin. It just feels nice in the hand. But I don't want to see it scuffed up. I also want to be able to sell it for top dollar when the time comes to sell it. So I have to put a case on it. Between my wife and my kids, my phone can be broken in no time.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm severely OCD so any mark or scuff would set me off. I mean on my phone, laptop, car, etc. They are all in pristine condition. The last time I scratched my 19" rims, car modder, I almost cried. So every iPhone I have had were the same. I have always slapped a defender case on them and it has actually saved them a bunch of times. The iPhone 5 was so thin and light the Defender case was too bulky and heavy. So I got a Lifeproof case not for the waterproof aspect but because it offered the protection while remaining slim and light. The thing I'm now realizing is that I usually skip one gen and then sell my iPhone to buy the next. So although it is pristine it doesn't really get me alot of money because it is two models old. So the next iPhone I get I'm getting Applecare+ and putting the Zagg body armor so I can use it naked but yet keep it pristine and have protection from a broken screen.

Where I work there are different models of iPhone and although the glass looked great the fact that many people unlike us use their phones named means a lot are carelessly broken and everyone expects Apple to replace it. So the aluminum case has the benefit of making it lighter, thinner and stopping the returns because of broken backplates.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm severely OCD so any mark or scuff would set me off. I mean on my phone, laptop, car, etc. They are all in pristine condition. The last time I scratched my 19" rims, car modder, I almost cried. So every iPhone I have had were the same. I have always slapped a defender case on them and it has actually saved them a bunch of times. The iPhone 5 was so thin and light the Defender case was too bulky and heavy. So I got a Lifeproof case not for the waterproof aspect but because it offered the protection while remaining slim and light. The thing I'm now realizing is that I usually skip one gen and then sell my iPhone to buy the next. So although it is pristine it doesn't really get me alot of money because it is two models old. So the next iPhone I get I'm getting Applecare+ and putting the Zagg body armor so I can use it naked but yet keep it pristine and have protection from a broken screen.

Where I work there are different models of iPhone and although the glass looked great the fact that many people unlike us use their phones named means a lot are carelessly broken and everyone expects Apple to replace it. So the aluminum case has the benefit of making it lighter, thinner and stopping the returns because of broken backplates.

Do you like the Defender case?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com

I'm the same way with scratches and scuffs. If it were to happen I'd get a new phone so I completely understand. I use a pouch case for all of my phones and both are in pristine like new condition.

ljpuk

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I kinda like the silver poking through, like a nice old worn camera. Mines got dings but I stopped worrying about my phone a while ago. I've got bigger things to focus on.

flashhh

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Says the apple apologist fanboy. If your iphone broke in half, you'd say, 'gosh, it's just a minor nick. Still works great though!' Delusion FTW!

I've had mine for about half of the time naked and the other half of the time with a cheap $5 radio shack clear case (just to prevent scuffing from sitting on tables and desks and in cup holders)...I've banged mine around and hit things accidentally, even dropped it a couple of times without the case on it and it's been fine, the only little mark i noticed was on the Apple itself on the back, and it's like hairline and you have to really stare at it to pick it out.

Not to say your situation didn't happen exactly as you described...and not to go against the idea that the iPhone this go around is more fragile than normal, but a small little tap on a plastic monitor housing isn't normally going to yield the scenario you described, and the fragility of the phone, at least to me, is a non-issue, as it would be with any high end smart phone, there is a certain amount of care one should approach it with anyways.

Exxod

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Says the apple apologist fanboy. If your iphone broke in half, you'd say, 'gosh, it's just a minor nick. Still works great though!' Delusion FTW!

I'd tell you to **** off, but seeing as you're a Fandroid, you probably do that yourself anyways.

/roid ragin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73