aluminum bezel on the 5 is so fragile... sigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

gameson

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I accidently hit the iPhone 5 bezel side to the computer monitor plastic bezel as I want to place my phone on the top of the monitor stand. notice that all my monitor housing are made of plastic and a very small hit left a mark to the iPhone 5 bezel...

I would rather have rubber and plastic as long as they are durable rather than aluminum as while it's definitely beautiful, but you have to be very careful not to leave marks on it. somehow I kinda miss the Blackberry. I used BB Torch 9800 for over 2 years, no case, just a leather sleeve when I carry the phone on the pocket. But when I take it out of the sleeve, it's all naked, no screen protector too. No ding, no mark, very clean, no scratch on the LCD even though it's a plastic LCD except one paint chip which I don't remember how it got there.

sigh... just wanna vent on the fragility of the iPhone. iPhone is like Ferrari, beautiful to see, superb performance, but fragile. the BB is like BMW.

komp444

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Lol, with your comparison I'm not sure if you've really owned and maintained a BMW for a length of time and as a past diehard blackberry user I'm not really following that either. So basically I've owned both bmws and blackberries at the same time and scratching my head trying to agree with your reference.....

ForgWorm

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Agreed.. My iPhone 5 is already scratched up all around. It's made to be used anyways.. Oh well.. I do hope that Apple will fix it in the long run.

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
You say you'd rather have plastic than aluminum so just put a bumper on it. Problem solved.

Follow me on the Twitter! @_jorts

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Honestly any high end phone out today is pretty fragile. Just have to be careful with them and take care of them if you want them to look good.

Nolander07

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Realistically anything metal that get used gets scratches. My watches and wedding ring are really scratched up, but I don't notice that. But.... I tend to obsess about my phone getting scratched. It's funny, because in 1-1 1/2 years I will be rid of it and on to the next version.

komp444

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Is this REALLY the most active forums on the net about iOS stuff? That's what imore advertises it as but even on the week end only about four topics are commented on or bumped up and in those topics only about 2-3 responses are added? I'm not trolling but with the millions upon million of iPhone 5s out there it's hard for me to believe and I know not everyone who owns one will post on a forum but still makes me scratch my head.

zeteo

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Is this REALLY the most active forums on the net about iOS stuff? That's what imore advertises it as but even on the week end only about four topics are commented on or bumped up and in those topics only about 2-3 responses are added? I'm not trolling but with the millions upon million of iPhone 5s out there it's hard for me to believe and I know not everyone who owns one will post on a forum but still makes me scratch my head.

Whereas Blackberry Forums are fill with the failures of the Z10, we are happy with the iPhones.

komp444

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand how quoting me and responding that is related but ill take it lol. And I do hope the best for the z10.

komp444

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I wish apple would have kept it glass the 4/4s models are so classy the 5 and maybe 5s models look like htc models

Of everyone I knew that had one that was its biggest complaint that it was all glass and would break at the sound of a sneeze. But I liked it to. But to be honest I like the aluminum much much more.

gameson

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I wish the iPhone 6 would be made of Carbon Fiber. Lightweight, scratch resistant, just wow factor. imagine, real carbon fiber back.

More often then not I find myself wondering how some posts are even relevant or what they mean by that. I must not be one of the cool kids anymore but am now considering finding another more mature and focus based forum.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Realistically anything metal that get used gets scratches. My watches and wedding ring are really scratched up, but I don't notice that. But.... I tend to obsess about my phone getting scratched. It's funny, because in 1-1 1/2 years I will be rid of it and on to the next version.

This is an interesting point. I obsess about my iPhone not getting scratches however I rarely obsess over anything else getting scratched or dented. My wife scratched the roof of my new car a couple if years back and it didn't bother me much. My laptop has scratches on it and dead pixels on the screen and I don't care. But if my phone gets a little ding or scratch that only I can see, I am ready to hit the roof. I used to tell my wife and my kids that they could not touch my phone under any circumstances. My wife told me I was being mean so I wrapped it up with Griffin Survivor and now have a piece if mind. There must be some sort of condition about this.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Hail Caesar

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
This is the one gripe that I have, my outer bezel is scarred up badly, dont even keep a case on it now unless I need it attached to my hip. Another thing is that some of the scratched came from the case while on the phone!!

sicario666

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
It really depends on what type of aluminum the bumper was made of. 6061 is softer than 7075. I've had a lot of experience machining both types of aluminum. 7075 is the higher dollar between the 2. This may not help the situation but its my 2 pennies.

Status
Not open for further replies.