Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
Like Tree19Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    mrwaylon's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    23 Posts

    Thumbs up First iPhone 5

    Well guys and gals I made the jump and got my iPhone 5 though Verizon wireless. Let me tell you from going from android to apple. I can't believe I waited this long I look everything about it very user friendly and smooth to operate. Still learning about it but it will take time.
    Thanked by:
    jtmal0723 (02-27-2013)
    Edmilan and tech_fan like this.
  2. #2  
    Karenkcoulter's Avatar

    Posts
    7,201 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,206 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

    Default First iPhone 5

    Welcome and feel free to ask questions in these forums if you can't figure something out.
    Thanked by:
    jtmal0723 (02-27-2013)
    sicario666 likes this.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    mrwaylon's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    23 Posts

    Default Re: First iPhone 5

    Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    Welcome and feel free to ask questions in these forums if you can't figure something out.
    . Thanks I will I'm loving this phone I will never go back to android. Plus you have better stable apps and that's a plus.
    sicario666 and ladyc0524 like this.
  4. #4  
    joemd60's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,639 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,110 Global Posts

    Default Re: First iPhone 5

    Good luck with the iPhone 5. I currently have the Stellar on Android, and I am thinking of trying out the new iPhone.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    mrwaylon's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    23 Posts

    Default Re: First iPhone 5

    Quote Originally Posted by joemd60 View Post
    Good luck with the iPhone 5. I currently have the Stellar on Android, and I am thinking of trying out the new iPhone.
    I've all ways owned an android system and liked them. But after a while the phones started acting up app all ways crashed. Did really never get any updates plus the phone was super slow. Now this is my first ever iPhone and all I can say are good things about it
  6. #6  
    joemd60's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,639 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,110 Global Posts

    Default Re: First iPhone 5

    Quote Originally Posted by mrwaylon View Post
    I've all ways owned an android system and liked them. But after a while the phones started acting up app all ways crashed. Did really never get any updates plus the phone was super slow. Now this is my first ever iPhone and all I can say are good things about it
    That's one of my gripes with Android. Very buggy apps, and freeze ups. Updates?? What is that?? :-D
    Last edited by joemd60; 02-22-2013 at 02:41 PM.
  7. #7  
    fridayxiii's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    216 Posts

    Default Re: First iPhone 5

    Welcome aboard OP; joemd60: come join in the fun! The i5 comes from a great line of devices; I jumped in with the 3GS and haven't looked back since. iOS is very stable and smooth, and the same can be said for the apps. I think I've had one lock-up in 3+ years of owning an iPhone, and I'm pretty sure that was user error. You'll find tons of useful info here: try Search as many questions have been asked & answered before, but don't be afraid to post away if you can't find exactly what you're looking for.
    iPhone: there is no substitute. 6+: white/silver, 64GB, AT&T
    Thanked by:
    joemd60 (03-03-2013)
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    mrwaylon's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    23 Posts

    Default Re: First iPhone 5

    Quote Originally Posted by fridayxiii View Post
    Welcome aboard OP; joemd60: come join in the fun! The i5 comes from a great line of devices; I jumped in with the 3GS and haven't looked back since. iOS is very stable and smooth, and the same can be said for the apps. I think I've had one lock-up in 3+ years of owning an iPhone, and I'm pretty sure that was user error. You'll find tons of useful info here: try Search as many questions have been asked & answered before, but don't be afraid to post away if you can't find exactly what you're looking for.
    thanks I'm doing research as we speek
  9. #9  
    John Yester's Avatar

    Posts
    4,226 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,745 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

    Default Re: First iPhone 5

    Congrats on inquiring the new device!!! Glad to have ya here
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com


  10. #10  
    sicario666's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    249 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,712 Global Posts

    Default First iPhone 5

    I just ditched my note2 and grabbed an i5. My only complaint (which isn't iOS related) I got the 16gig model. I didn't have the $ for a 32gig.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    mrwaylon's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    23 Posts

    Default Re: First iPhone 5

    Quote Originally Posted by sicario666 View Post
    I just ditched my note2 and grabbed an i5. My only complaint (which isn't iOS related) I got the 16gig model. I didn't have the $ for a 32gig.
    I got the 32gb but wanted the 64gb but I'm happy with the 32 I won't use all that space
  12. #12  
    joemd60's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,639 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,110 Global Posts

    Default Re: First iPhone 5

    Quote Originally Posted by fridayxiii View Post
    Welcome aboard OP; joemd60: come join in the fun! The i5 comes from a great line of devices; I jumped in with the 3GS and haven't looked back since. iOS is very stable and smooth, and the same can be said for the apps. I think I've had one lock-up in 3+ years of owning an iPhone, and I'm pretty sure that was user error. You'll find tons of useful info here: try Search as many questions have been asked & answered before, but don't be afraid to post away if you can't find exactly what you're looking for.
    Thanks! Upgrade is still a couple of months from now, unless Red let's me do it sooner.
  13. #13  
    peter klein's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

    Default Re: First iPhone 5

    Yeah, gotta love that century old 4" screen, a limit on how many apps can fit into one folder, a dated OS, and not being able to add anything outside of the Apple kingdom, no microSD card removal, no accessible battery, proprietary hardware and add ons and a very limited home screen design.

    Yeah, gotta love that Apple.

    Think I will stick with my 4.5" screen on my Galaxy SII with an open source code, the ability to pretty much do whatever I want to it; rearrange my home screen to how I want it; download and play music and movies from multiple platforms; read books on any platform including iTunes if I want; add more storage or a bigger battery if and when I want; use NFC to exchange information from one phone to the next without wires or having to use a computer. The ability to choose default apps for web browsing, email and more.Support for multiple app stores like GO and Google, not just Apple. The ability to choose from over hundreds of manufacturers, screen sizes, power, storage and options versun just the iPhone. Having standard cables and dock connections like the micro usb versus whatever Apple is forcing you to do. Androids widgets are better looking, have more information and are more versatile. Good luck with iCloud versus Google or any of the other cloud options I have.
  14. #14  
    EauRouge's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    271 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,681 Global Posts

    Default Re: First iPhone 5

    hope you enjoy it! by biggest problem was the narrow screen. Id like to see apple innovate a bit more, push the buck so to speak, but the ip5 is a very solid phone. best iphone yet. If it suits you, enjoy!
  15. #15  
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    LCW's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    931 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,333 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1

    Default First iPhone 5

    Welcome mrwaylon... You've made a wise choice and won't regret it. The iPhone 5 is solid. iOS keeps getting better. Stability and reliability are two words that don't go in the same sentence as Android
  16. #16  
    kch50428's Avatar

    Posts
    11,025 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,906 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0

    Default Re: First iPhone 5

    Quote Originally Posted by peter klein View Post
    Yeah, gotta love that century old 4" screen, a limit on how many apps can fit into one folder, a dated OS, and not being able to add anything outside of the Apple kingdom, no microSD card removal, no accessible battery, proprietary hardware and add ons and a very limited home screen design.

    Yeah, gotta love that Apple.

    Think I will stick with my 4.5" screen on my Galaxy SII with an open source code, the ability to pretty much do whatever I want to it; rearrange my home screen to how I want it; download and play music and movies from multiple platforms; read books on any platform including iTunes if I want; add more storage or a bigger battery if and when I want; use NFC to exchange information from one phone to the next without wires or having to use a computer. The ability to choose default apps for web browsing, email and more.Support for multiple app stores like GO and Google, not just Apple. The ability to choose from over hundreds of manufacturers, screen sizes, power, storage and options versun just the iPhone. Having standard cables and dock connections like the micro usb versus whatever Apple is forcing you to do. Androids widgets are better looking, have more information and are more versatile. Good luck with iCloud versus Google or any of the other cloud options I have.
    My, what a lovely first impression to make in a forum... perhaps you should stick to the Android Central forum with this kind of stuff... we'll be more than happy to converse with you about how to better make use of any iOS devices you may own... have a nice day, evening, or whatever it is when you read this.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    Thanked by:
    charlyee (02-22-2013), Edmilan (02-28-2013), joemd60 (02-22-2013), ladyc0524 (02-22-2013)
  17. #17  
    metllicamilitia's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    652 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,244 Global Posts

    Default First iPhone 5

    Quote Originally Posted by peter klein View Post
    Yeah, gotta love that century old 4" screen, a limit on how many apps can fit into one folder, a dated OS, and not being able to add anything outside of the Apple kingdom, no microSD card removal, no accessible battery, proprietary hardware and add ons and a very limited home screen design.

    Yeah, gotta love that Apple.

    Think I will stick with my 4.5" screen on my Galaxy SII with an open source code, the ability to pretty much do whatever I want to it; rearrange my home screen to how I want it; download and play music and movies from multiple platforms; read books on any platform including iTunes if I want; add more storage or a bigger battery if and when I want; use NFC to exchange information from one phone to the next without wires or having to use a computer. The ability to choose default apps for web browsing, email and more.Support for multiple app stores like GO and Google, not just Apple. The ability to choose from over hundreds of manufacturers, screen sizes, power, storage and options versun just the iPhone. Having standard cables and dock connections like the micro usb versus whatever Apple is forcing you to do. Androids widgets are better looking, have more information and are more versatile. Good luck with iCloud versus Google or any of the other cloud options I have.
    You know the problem with open source? It's open source. This means anyone can tweak with it and mess with it. This in effect means any bad programmer can destroy the effectiveness of your device. How about an analogy? Let's say your car breaks down, are you going to take it to a mechanic or are you going to take it to a comic book store because it's a popular car? And Apple has standard Apple chargers. Again, they have kept a tight leash in the lightning cable because a poor quality cable can wreak havoc on your device as well. And do you really need more than 64GB on your phone? How many useless things sit around doing absolutely nothing on your device that you need that much storage? iCloud works fine, who cares how many options you have to choose from? Widgets drain battery, it's constant dataflow.

    So go ahead and stick with poor color quality, non app closing, open source device destroying, massive flash drive of excessive uselessness.

    Don't get me wrong, Android is nice operating system, but the fact that you can't close apps and keep them closed, and poor color quality keeps me away from it. And Apple's onscreen keyboard is so much better than any of the keyboards I ever used on Android.


    Mobile engaged, message transmitted
    Edmilan and zeteo like this.
  18. #18  
    metllicamilitia's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    652 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,244 Global Posts

    Default First iPhone 5

    Quote Originally Posted by mrwaylon View Post
    Well guys and gals I made the jump and got my iPhone 5 though Verizon wireless. Let me tell you from going from android to apple. I can't believe I waited this long I look everything about it very user friendly and smooth to operate. Still learning about it but it will take time.
    Welcome to iOS, glad to hear you're enjoying it. And if you think iOS is getting boring, look into the jailbreak community here. All kinds of fun tweaks there. And it's much easier to unjailbreak than it is to unroot an Android.


    Mobile engaged, message transmitted
    Dwood1970 likes this.
  19. #19  
    Hail Caesar's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    151 Posts

    Default First iPhone 5

    Welcome to the family!! Better late than never!
    Apple built it, so it will work.
  20. #20  
    gordol's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    436 Posts
    Global Posts
    768 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    8.0.2

    Default Re: First iPhone 5

    Quote Originally Posted by mrwaylon View Post
    Well guys and gals I made the jump and got my iPhone 5 though Verizon wireless. Let me tell you from going from android to apple. I can't believe I waited this long I look everything about it very user friendly and smooth to operate. Still learning about it but it will take time.
    I just got the iPhone 5 about a month ago, upgrading from a two year old Android. The only reason I got the Droid was because at the time Verizon still didn't have the iPhone. I had an iPhone 3G on AT&T when it was released, and I had it for about a year. There was no problem with the phone (it was the best phone I'd had to date), but I started having mega problems with AT&T so I jumped over to Verizon.

    I've got the 16GB version, wishing I could have afforded the 32GB version.

    Over all, I like both iOS and Android, they each have their pros and cons, but for me the one item that has me back with iOS is the media management. It's nearly seamless on iOS with iTunes and damn near non-existent on Android.
    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
    Double ROT-13 encrypted for your protection
    ladyc0524 likes this.
  21. #21  
    ForgWorm's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    60 Posts
    Global Posts
    376 Global Posts

    Default First iPhone 5

    Welcome to the forums! And congrats on your new iPhone, you'll love it.
  22. #22  
    Adnams's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    26 Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1.2

    Default Re: First iPhone 5

    I can only agree with the OP 100% - I got my first iPhone, a 16Gb IP5 towards the end of November, having had a Galaxy S1 for the previous 18 months. All I can say is I now fully understand why the iPhone inspires such devotion - always been a gadget nut and this is gadget heaven. It's my MP3 player, my camera, my diary/calendar - the fact you can also make calls on it is almost a bonus! No more Androids for me - I'm iPhone for life

    My changeover day spoke volumes - no sooner had Vodafone delivered my IP5 and I had the box open like an excited little kid on Christmas Day, my Galaxy decided to have an electronic 'huff' and has practically refused to boot up ever since ... on the rare occasions that it does, it crashes within minutes.

    Found this forum via Twitter this morning - didn't know it existed until today!
  23. #23  
    charlyee's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    524 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,861 Global Posts

    Default First iPhone 5

    I just got the iPhone 5 about 3 weeks. I came from WP and Android prior to that.

    I am liking it very much and really like the smooth synching between devices.

    Hello to all the other new iPhone owners on here. 😊


    Sent From My Mobile Device Using Tapatalk
    QTEK 9100 > Samsung Blackjack > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > BB 9700 > Xperia X10 > Motorola Atrix > HTC Vivid > Lumia 900 > Lumia 820 > iPhone 5 > Moto X > iPhone 5s > iPhone 6
  24. #24  
    ctdog's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

    Default Re: First iPhone 5

    Congrats on getting a 5 and welcome! I've said it before and I'll say it again: There are other devices that equal or surpass the iPhone, the Note 2 being one example. What kills it is Android OS-lousy App Store, prone to malware, unreliable updates, etc. No matter how good the devices Samsung makes are, they'll always be second rate because they are shackled to Android.
    zeteo likes this.
  25. #25  
    the_stig#WN's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    121 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,072 Global Posts

    Default First iPhone 5

    Quote Originally Posted by ctdog View Post
    Congrats on getting a 5 and welcome! I've said it before and I'll say it again: There are other devices that equal or surpass the iPhone, the Note 2 being one example. What kills it is Android OS-lousy App Store, prone to malware, unreliable updates, etc. No matter how good the devices Samsung makes are, they'll always be second rate because they are shackled to Android.
    Agreed. The Android OS is a mess. Thing is, when you first start using them, they are fine for a while. But then they start to get buggy. iPhone's though, don't have this problem. They run smooth all the time. And I agree with the poster a few above me - the virtual keyboard on iOS is fantastic compared to anything on Android.

    And to the OP - welcome to the club. Holding out for the 5S myself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. First iPhone kiosk
    By IrvRobinson in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-28-2011, 09:46 AM
  2. My first iPhone app - Ball Mania - Launched
    By demansol in forum iPhone Apps & Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-26-2009, 01:06 PM
  3. what's the difference between the first iphone and the new iphone 3g?
    By electriicdigits in forum iPhone 3G Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-28-2008, 08:35 PM
  4. First iPhone Bug Reported
    By beachtrader in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-02-2007, 03:43 PM
  5. First iPhone Review ... Unholy Smackdown!
    By LiveFaith in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 06-27-2007, 01:58 PM

Posting Permissions