New error message with charger?

Rube8514

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site
I always buy generic chargers for all of my phones. My current generic charger I have been using for about a month now with no issues. Just today, I started receiving this error message, "Charging is not supported with this accessory." Any suggestions??

Attachments

• iphone.PNG
    iphone.PNG
    291 KB · Views: 44

komp444

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I agree. I know there the most expensive there's no arguing that but always use official apple accessories if you possibly can. There's been multiple studies on these cheaper products that show your getting exactly what you pay for as far as quality and that many are have been proven dangerous to your device or,even worse, can malfunction and prove a fire hazard. Cnet.com has done many third party blind study's that have shown and proven this and after hearing all the evidence I always try to get official apple accessories or at least major branded ones such as vellum, monster and incase and the like. You gotta sake yourself if its worth the risk and ill bet you the answer is no. And also know that of one of these cheap accessories harm your device apple isn't to friendly at times helping you repair them as they often tell people that this is the reason you should always use there products as well. Hope it all works out for you!

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
What brand is your third party charger? Is it a name brand or an off-brand?

While you cannot go wrong by sticking with Apple branded accessories, as previously suggested, there are reliable third parties and then there's everyone else. In the past with the 30 Pin dock connector, I've never had any problems with either Belkin or DLO chargers, and I currently use a Belkin Lightning charger in my car with no problems (so far, anyway, I've only had the iPhone 5 for about a month). (The Belkin charger was the only one available at the VZW store and Apple does not appear to make car chargers themselves.)

I would surmise further that if the accessory in question is available via the online Apple Store, then it meets Apple's specs and should be usable.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Apple's lighting connector technology is programmable and third party manufacturers need to purchase a license from Apple. I've personally only heard of a couple manufactures who have actually paid for the license... I suspect you have a cable from a company that did not, and with some simple software changes your cable has been bricked.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Apple's lighting connector technology is programmable and third party manufacturers need to purchase a license from Apple. I've personally only heard of a couple manufactures who have actually paid for the license... I suspect you have a cable from a company that did not, and with some simple software changes your cable has been bricked.

This could also be the case. I tried a micro-USB to lightning adapter from Amazon and my iPhone gave me that message with the Apple charger and USB ports as well. So you might try another cable if you were using a different one.

tisonlyme321

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I am having the the same message and iphone 4 isn't charging. It started doing this after I installed ios 6.1.2 update
I'm using genuine chargers 1 old and 1 new and still no joy. I have restored phone to factory settings and still no joy.
Any advice out there

ups925

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
My aftermarket lightning cables give this same message. They are junk. Seller overcharged me, then refunded full amount for the troubles... then I figured out they didnt even work anyways. Im assuming the seller knows they dont work which is why they immediately refunded the full amount for them rather than simply refunding the shipping overcharge since their system didnt combine shipping as stated.

I havent had any problems using my official lightning cables with other usb chargers. Ive used laptops, computers, blackberry usb chargers, 3rd party usb chargers, my car, etc.

Marty Webb

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I have a similar issue. Running an IPad mini on iOS 6.1.3. I have two USB cables, two wall chargers and two car chargers. Both cables work with both wall chargers and charging is not an issue. However, neither cable will work with the car charger, nor through the USB ports on my pc. I get the "Charging is not supported with this accessory". Have already tried the Airplane "off", switch it off, etc to no avail. The car chargers both charge my Ipod Touch running on iOS 6.1.3, so I can't understand why it won't for the Ipad.
Does anyone have a foolproof method if getting this working?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I have a similar issue. Running an IPad mini on iOS 6.1.3. I have two USB cables, two wall chargers and two car chargers. Both cables work with both wall chargers and charging is not an issue. However, neither cable will work with the car charger, nor through the USB ports on my pc. I get the "Charging is not supported with this accessory". Have already tried the Airplane "off", switch it off, etc to no avail. The car chargers both charge my Ipod Touch running on iOS 6.1.3, so I can't understand why it won't for the Ipad.
Does anyone have a foolproof method if getting this working?

The car chargers are not outputting enough amperage for the iPads but do supply enough for the iPod. And if the PC is old enough, it too may not output enough amperage.

The foolproof method is to replace the car chargers with ones documented as being able to support a full sized iPad... and the computer... if you're using a computer that has the ability to add an additional i/o card - get a USB card to fill a slot in the computer, making sure the output specs are up to snuff for charging and powering a full size iPad.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2