Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts

Default HELP Canadian users HELP (I JUST GOT SCAMMED)

Hello guys ..

i bought an iphone 5 from Kjiji it was suppose to be (UNLOCKED) as the add stated
    i met the guy and he had the receipt and the box was sealed and everything looked legit ..

i go back home i put it my international sim card and it said that i should put an active one in order to active the device
    i put it my Fido sim card it worked fine ..

the receipt shows that it was fully purchased with no contract but when i called apple they told me it is locked to a carrier and i need to contact
    them in order to get it unlocked !! so i tried to contact Fido and they are closed for now

i call the guy he is not picking up .. (i might got really angry and sent him some not very nice txt msgs )

A
    so what do you guys think ? I'm totally screwed ?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts

Default HELP Canadian users HELP (I JUST GOT SCAMMED)

You should be able to get Fido to unlock it for you, for a fee though.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,877 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Default Re: HELP Canadian users HELP (I JUST GOT SCAMMED)

Does the receipt show a serial number matching to that phone or some kind of way to attach it to the phone he sold you? I know one of the craigslist scams is to bring a receipt for a legitimately unlocked phone with a carrier locked phone and once the deal is done, they delete the google voice number they used to make the sale. Sucks but that's life online these days...

Not sure about Canada, but here in the U.S., you can easily unlock the iPhone 5 through several online resources (and rather cheap at that)...here's a thread...

Anyone else unlock their iPhone 5 yet?
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

Default Re: HELP Canadian users HELP (I JUST GOT SCAMMED)

Sorry for your situation. I would also try a friend with a bell or telus sim to see if its truly unlocked. I have a Rogers sim and when I put in my t-mobile, it sometimes takes a while to pick it up. Best of luck.