If you had to upgrade from 4s to 5? Am i gonna be wowed?

komp444

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Very long story short my 4s is currently having a antenna problem that apple has addressed as a deal breaker in concern to price thus it being more money smart to just buy a new phone and lucky me I have a upgrade available. I was a diehard crack berry guy for years but even though there hard ware has always been familiar there OS has what seems almost purposefully awful in terms of growth. So I need a new phone coming from my broken 4S. I'm open to other option besides the iphone5 so I write to you guys looking for first hand accounts of the iPhone 5 to see how it is. Is the screen awkward in a way since it got taller and not wider as well? Is it even a noticeable jump from the 4S? If it isn't a noticeable jump or if the screen is as awkward as I've heard some ppl say I might look else where for a new phone outside of the 5. Thanks guys and gals.

trevorcaudill

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I came from the Galaxy Nexus to the iPhone 5 so I won't be able to relate in all aspects. I've used relatives iPhone 4S and my girlfriends before she upgraded. Honestly the screen isn't awkward per se at all and since you would be obtaining one at this stage you won't have to deal with the annoying legacy bars on popular applications. What the phone increases in height it decreases in weight , the phone is incredibly light and you should definitely play with it a bit at the store before you decide. If you're someone who will utilize the A6 chip then you should totally go for it. If you are using it for nothing more than Facebook, texting and web browsing than that's debatable , it will run faster though.

Personally, I always want the latest tech, but that's an issue I have to discuss with my bank account.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Depends. If you are in an LTE area - speed increase alone will wow you. The thinness is awesome. Larger screen realestate is nice and once you go bigger, you won't want to go back to the 3.5" screen. I find the saturation and quality of the iphone 5 screen to be a noticeable improvement. Overall a nice upgrade imo.

But, if you have expectations of a totally different iOS experience, you're not going to find it. It's evolution rather than revolution.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
The bigger screen is a huge improvement. You may have an issue readjusting to the keyboard location, but it'll only last a day or so.

LTE is also a huge jump. You'll go from getting 3-5 Mbps to getting 20-30. The speed increase is absolutely mind blowing. Often, the 4G LTE is faster than a WiFi connection.

The camera and processor are also updated, with a noticeable difference from the 4S.

You may not be wowed, but you definitely will notice the improvement and be pleased.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I came from the 4S and I was wowed. I think t hat the iPhone 5 is a great phone. LTE, larger screen, faster processor, better camera, thinner profile, and more RAM make it worth getting.

komp444

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
it seems rather clear that its a winner, im just so apprehensive about that screen. Only phone maker i know that just went taller to make it bigger rather then a complete redesign. It always caught me as a cheap move and looked rather awkward since its shaped literally like a remote control. I support apple because i believe they can make a product more superior then others at time, just that dang screen shape looked so awkward to me. Outside of the screen I'm sold.

komp444

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
And guys thanks for all the advice and help so far. When i do a upgrade i always keep it for the 2 plus years so thanks again a ton.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
it seems rather clear that its a winner, im just so apprehensive about that screen. Only phone maker i know that just went taller to make it bigger rather then a complete redesign. It always caught me as a cheap move and looked rather awkward since its shaped literally like a remote control. I support apple because i believe they can make a product more superior then others at time, just that dang screen shape looked so awkward to me. Outside of the screen I'm sold.

I like that it just got taller. Once in your hand, it will feel like it should have always been this shape and size. It was an awesome design choice in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Check lte coverage. If that's not available in your area I'm pretty sure you won't be wowed. Yes a larger screen but it's running the same os your phone is running now with a bump in hardware. It's like being wowed going from a 2006 to a 2007 car with the same features but a different radio and rims.

Sent using Tapatalk

komp444

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Looks like ill go pick up a iPhone 5 on payday then. Thanks guys for all the input! Great community you have here. I downloaded the imore app but was surprised you can't access forums from the app unless I'm missing something?! Now this is a shot in the dark but has anyone had any luck with one of those keyboard cases?! If so what was the brand name and why?!

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Looks like ill go pick up a iPhone 5 on payday then. Thanks guys for all the input! Great community you have here. I downloaded the imore app but was surprised you can't access forums from the app unless I'm missing something?! Now this is a shot in the dark but has anyone had any luck with one of those keyboard cases?! If so what was the brand name and why?!

iMore has a separate forum app.

Also, I found the iPhone 5 a decent upgrade to the 4S. I knew I wasn't going to get iPhone 5 specific features but the form factor more than makes up for that. It's as if a phone was meant to be this exact size.

I still think that there is a lot of wasted potential screen real estate on the top and bottom bezels though. But that's just me.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I came from a larger screened Galaxy S3 and an iPhone 4 the iPhone is far and away superior in all aspects.

It feels higher quality in the hand, isn't made of 'cheap looking' plastic, feels more robust, is styled better, better battery life (for me at least), more intuituve and easier to use operating system.

In all ways it is a superior product to the Android device I had. The screen is odd but apparently now it is more in keeping with a 16:9 aspect widescreen, or so I am led to believe. I honestly don't think you will be disappointed with the iPhone 5; I absolutely love mine and it is easily the best phone I have ever used.

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Very long story short my 4s is currently having a antenna problem that apple has addressed as a deal breaker in concern to price thus it being more money smart to just buy a new phone and lucky me I have a upgrade available. I was a diehard crack berry guy for years but even though there hard ware has always been familiar there OS has what seems almost purposefully awful in terms of growth. So I need a new phone coming from my broken 4S. I'm open to other option besides the iphone5 so I write to you guys looking for first hand accounts of the iPhone 5 to see how it is. Is the screen awkward in a way since it got taller and not wider as well? Is it even a noticeable jump from the 4S? If it isn't a noticeable jump or if the screen is as awkward as I've heard some ppl say I might look else where for a new phone outside of the 5. Thanks guys and gals.

IMO if you want to be wowed, and it really seems that you want to try something new, take a look at the blackberry Z10!

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
IMO if you want to be wowed, and it really seems that you want to try something new, take a look at the blackberry Z10!

The OP is coming from an iPhone 4S. I doubt he would be happy with a Z10 right now considering the lack of cloud services and ecosystem.

I have no doubt it will improve in the future but right now the Z10 would be a step back from even the 4S. BlackBerry 10 does look interesting though.

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I came from a larger screened Galaxy S3 and an iPhone 4 the iPhone is far and away superior in all aspects.

It feels higher quality in the hand, isn't made of 'cheap looking' plastic, feels more robust, is styled better, better battery life (for me at least), more intuituve and easier to use operating system.

In all ways it is a superior product to the Android device I had. The screen is odd but apparently now it is more in keeping with a 16:9 aspect widescreen, or so I am led to believe. I honestly don't think you will be disappointed with the iPhone 5; I absolutely love mine and it is easily the best phone I have ever used.

Same here. Came from the GS3, couldn't take the freezing and reboots anymore so I got an iPhone 5 and couldn't be happier!