Sleep/wake button issues

gixxer07600

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I've had my original iPhone 5 replaced because the sleep/wake button wasn't working right. And now the replacement is doing the same thing. At times I'll push it several times before it works. Anyone else having this issue?

gixxer07600

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Yea. I have had it replaced already. Guess ill have to do it again. Just sucks because the closest apple store is an hour away from me

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
its a common issue. i just had mine replaced too. if you google search or read over on macrumors, its happening more and more. apple will replace free under warranty.

gixxer07600

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I had the phone replaced. The replacement seems to be doing fine. Which is good. I don't want to have to drive an hour In a half eve month for the same issue

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
This is the one of the reasons I have concerns about getting the current model and hoping they fix this issue with the next one (yes it will be the same overall chassis) but still they could fix the problem after what 6 months. Warranties are great but why should I keep having to take a phone in and get it replaced due to a problem that Apple is clearly aware of.

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
All of the buttons are potentially kind of flakey. I've had a few go bad, and I'm the kind of person who will tear it down and try to fix the button before I bother trying to get a new one.

The buttons' mechanical action is a metal "dome" that snaps up and down and shorts across two round metal contacts underneath. Sometimes when they're assembled, the metal contacts are not perfectly centered underneath the dome, which makes them malfunction. If this happens, you might need to have the button pressed at very specific angles.

If your buttons are doing this and your phone is under warranty, take it in and get it fixed or replaced. If it's out of warranty, you can have it repaired or repair it yourself. The button parts are taped together, so you can peel them apart and realign them if you feel like doing that.

chippy19977

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue on mine and had it swapped out at the Apple Store for free (warranty). They claimed it was because I used an Otterbox Defender and they tend to damage the sleep/wake button. Not sure I believe that 100%, but no more Otterbox for me just to be safe.

Matador

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Took mine to the Apple store on Saturday and they gave me a new one.....no issues with the new one so far. Super impressed with the Apple warranty...I came from Blackberry and they don't stand behind their stuff like that

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods