Video Quality Looks Terrible--Why?

flashhh

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I took 3 or 4 short test videos today. All of them were under 30 seconds in length.

The video quality looks absolutely terrible. I'd say the resolution looks like it's well below 480. It looks to be in the 360 range or so.

I emailed the files from my phone to my computer. I kept the original file sizes of each file, rather than sending a compressed version. Or so I thought.

Did my iphone send a compressed version anyway? Can I transfer the files from the phone to my computer using the lightning connector? I wonder if this will ensure that I get the original, uncompressed version on my computer?

I thought the IP5 only recorded in 1080, so the video must have been downconverted to a lower res at some point along the way.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I took 3 or 4 short test videos today. All of them were under 30 seconds in length.

The video quality looks absolutely terrible. I'd say the resolution looks like it's well below 480. It looks to be in the 360 range or so.

I emailed the files from my phone to my computer. I kept the original file sizes of each file, rather than sending a compressed version. Or so I thought.

Did my iphone send a compressed version anyway? Can I transfer the files from the phone to my computer using the lightning connector? I wonder if this will ensure that I get the original, uncompressed version on my computer?

I thought the IP5 only recorded in 1080, so the video must have been downconverted to a lower res at some point along the way.

How do the videos look in your camera roll once they have saved? If they look acceptable there, but not accetable once you have sent via email, mms, etc....then it would be clear that something is happening after you send it. If they look terrible in your camera roll, then you have an issue with the camera.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

You told your iPhone not to compress them but your email provider probably compressed them anyway. Transfer them with USB to a computer and see how they look.

flashhh

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I transferred the video files via usb this time directly. Imported using preview. Now, the video files look good!

I wish I had a slightly steadier hand, and maybe a bit more light to work with; the results likely would have gone from good to excellent. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2