Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By John Yester
  • 1 Post By ThePinkChameleon
  • 1 Post By trebor8806
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Certain saved pics needing resized...

I had trouble thinking of a more appropriate title. Since google and prior forums posts didn't turn up anything, here goes:

When I save pics from websites or apps like Facebook, Chive, Tapatalk, etc., I find they have taken on a new size that transcends the boundaries of the screen. This does not happen in every case however. Does anyone know why or perhaps even better, a fix? My resolution at this point is to resize the picture in the camera roll, screen shot it, and delete the one that's 'too big'.

Here is an example I have by saving a pic from a different thread in the forum. The first pic is a screenshot of how it appeared in the thread. The second is how it saved to my camera roll.

Certain saved pics needing resized...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1359642502.353767.jpg Certain saved pics needing resized...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1359642517.715050.jpg
    Last edited by finn5975; 01-31-2013 at 08:49 AM.

Global Posts
    15,722 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

Default Re: Certain saved pics needing resized...

Let me do some testing and get back to you shortly.
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com

Thanked by:
    finn5975 (01-31-2013)

Global Posts
    15,722 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

Default Re: Certain saved pics needing resized...

Okay,

Not including the iPhone for testing I saved some images to my Mac.

One picture saved from a post that used upload from Tapatalk is 33.KB and resolution of 361x640

Another image from Tapatalk is 38 KB with Resolution 427x640

One saved from the forums as an attachment is 258 KB with Resolution 577x1024

So either compression is playing a factor, along the ways of different device resolution from 4S to 5

Definitely interesting.......
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com

finn5975 likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    10,219 Global Posts
    iOS Version

and if I'm not mistaken, that's my battery usage ss lol

Pink-a-licious 4S doin' the TapAtalk!!
    iHeartMyPINKalicious5C~iPadAir~MBPretina
    *drink that Kool-Aid, follow my lead. now you're one of us, you're coming with me*
    finn5975 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts

Seems you're having a similar issue with another forum member. Photos default to "zoom" view on iP5?!?!?
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by bahandi View Post
    Seems you're having a similar issue with another forum member. Photos default to "zoom" view on iP5?!?!?
    I remember that thread I actually commented in it. But the op's issue was with pics he was taking with his camera. With me, all of the pics I take are fine. It's when I save certain ones from sites.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    iOS Version

You are saving a screenshot from a smaller resolution iPhone i.e. a 4 or 4S. Try pinching to zoom out. The photos app automatically zooms in to fill the iPhone 5's screen. Try saving someone's screenshot from an iPhone 5 and you won't come across that problem.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by finn5975 View Post
    I remember that thread I actually commented in it. But the op's issue was with pics he was taking with his camera. With me, all of the pics I take are fine. It's when I save certain ones from sites.
    Ah, yes. I just saw that there seemed to be no resolution to the old thread.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by trebor88 View Post
    You are saving a screenshot from a smaller resolution iPhone i.e. a 4 or 4S. Try pinching to zoom out. The photos app automatically zooms in to fill the iPhone 5's screen. Try saving someone's screenshot from an iPhone 5 and you won't come across that problem.
    That helps from the screenshot standpoint and I thank you. That leaves the saving of photos. The pic I posted in this thread was actually saved directly to the camera roll and not the result of a screenshot. It looked normal in the website, but abnormal once saved in the camera roll. Strange.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    iOS Version

That helps from the screenshot standpoint and I thank you. That leaves the saving of photos. The pic I posted in this thread was actually saved directly to the camera roll and not the result of a screenshot. It looked normal in the website, but abnormal once saved in the camera roll. Strange.
    But what I am trying to say is that the picture you saved directly from the website is a screenshot from another iPhone with the resolution of 640x960. When you go into your photos app the picture you saved from the site gets zoomed in because the photos app is trying to fill your iPhone 5's bigger screen, causing it to look like the sides are chopped off. All you need to do is zoom out. The photos app only seems to default to a zoomed view only with photos with the 640x960 size, for me at least. It is strange that it does that, but there is no fix for it unless you zoom out and screen shot it as you said before. But then the pic you take a screenshot of will have black on the top and bottom of the picture. You wouldn't notice that on your iPhone 5's display. Though you would notice if you view the screenshot on another device or computer.

In other words, your pictures you saved from websites aren't being abnormally saved. They just default to a zoomed view. The photos app has always done this.
    Thanked by:
    finn5975 (02-03-2013)
    finn5975 likes this.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Quote Originally Posted by trebor88 View Post
    But what I am trying to say is that the picture you saved directly from the website is a screenshot from another iPhone with the resolution of 640x960. When you go into your photos app the picture you saved from the site gets zoomed in because the photos app is trying to fill your iPhone 5's bigger screen, causing it to look like the sides are chopped off. All you need to do is zoom out. The photos app only seems to default to a zoomed view only with photos with the 640x960 size, for me at least. It is strange that it does that, but there is no fix for it unless you zoom out and screen shot it as you said before. But then the pic you take a screenshot of will have black on the top and bottom of the picture. You wouldn't notice that on your iPhone 5's display. Though you would notice if you view the screenshot on another device or computer.

In other words, your pictures you saved from websites aren't being abnormally saved. They just default to a zoomed view. The photos app has always done this.
    Ohhhhhh, I got ya now. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for taking the time to break it down. I think that solves that mystery
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Ohhhhhh, I got ya now. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for taking the time to break it down. I think that solves that mystery
    You're welcome!