Old ATT iPHone user now Verizon with a question?

coreymcl

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I've been an iPhone owner since the original iPhone was released using ATT as my carrier. When the iPhone 5 was announced I decided I would be moving my family and I over to Verizon. Since then we've been happy with the move. However I do have one nagging question, I'm hoping someone can help explain.

On ATT using an iPhone 4S, while on a call and another call would come in we could end the current call and answer the new one. On Verizon using the iPhone 5 when on a call and a new call comes in, the only choices we have are to; Ignore, Hold + Answer or End. End does just that ends the original call and ignores the call coming in. If we choose to Hold + Answer the new call it appears we continue both calls until the new call is ended.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So you're wanting an option to auto-end the existing call when you choose the new call?

The Hold & Answer option does this if the other person hangs up, and is the better over all option so that people who want to put the other call on hold have that option.

No offense, but i cannot imagine why a person would want the phone to automatically hang up on the original call when switching over to the new call over the existing hold feature, which helps so much more and the other call can simply hang up.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
He's not wanting it to automatically hang up the call... On the AT&T iPhone which I have it's an additional option when the call comes up to end the current call and pick up the new one.. Ie "sorry mom calling ill call you back"

So your saying Sean that you prefer to have less options that's pretty cool /end sarcasm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Instead of saying "hang on, I have another call" you can say "ok, I gotta go. Bye" and you answer the other call. Wouldn't the person on the original call just hang up thus ending the call? Not sure what the difference would between that and saying "ok, I gotta go. Bye" and hitting the option for end current call + answer incoming call.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Call waiting is not an option on Verizon due to their technology. It will be enabled once verizon starts to carry voice over LTE. While the iPhone 5's cell radio supports the feature...wand to bet Apple won't enable it? You'd probably have to get the new model.

coreymcl

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
The issue is more of an annoyance than anything. Having my iPhone display "Multiple Calls" instead of the information from the call I'm really on just bugs us. I thought I was see if anyone else had the same issue and possible found a solution. But it sounds like we'll have to wait for a while.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
He's not wanting it to automatically hang up the call... On the AT&T iPhone which I have it's an additional option when the call comes up to end the current call and pick up the new one.. Ie "sorry mom calling ill call you back"

So your saying Sean that you prefer to have less options that's pretty cool /end sarcasm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What on earth are you talking about? I have the option but can't fathom how someone would be upset enough by this to call it a problem, i mean if the hold and answer feature doesn't work good enough for you to the point of upsetting you, you might want to reevaluate some things.

I guess it's just me...this just seems so silly. But hey, if you want to make an issue of it...knock yourself out!

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
It does seem weird that there's an option to End the first call without picking up the other. This thread might shed some light on it; it seems like in practice the Verizon setup might just be a different way of doing the same thing, but that it operates differently due to network constraints? See the bigger post toward the bottom: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2753071?start=0&tstart=0

Hope that helps!

(if you don't want to read the whole thread:
This is obvsiously a response to and old post, but I just compared the difference between the call functions on the Verizon iPhone 4S and the AT&T iPhone 4.? For Verizon, when someone is talking on the phone, and another person calls, your only options are to Ignore, Hold Call and Answer, or End.? The first two operate the same on both each type of phone.? The "End" function on the Verizon ends the current conversation, and waits for the new call to be rereceived.? That's not exactly a technical term, but what happens is that all phone calls end (the screen actually goes back to the phone app recent call screen or keypad), and the 2nd call that was received rerings the phone.? The person calling the phone hears a normal ringing tone with the intermittent beeps that signals the other person is on the other line.? I hope this makes sense to you.? When someone calls the AT&T phone, the options are Ignore, Hold Call and Answer, and End Call and Answer.? If you select the End Call and Answer, the phone immediately ends the current call and changes to the new call.? Interesting difference, particularly when compared side-by-side, or when an AT&T iPhone user tries to help a Verizon iPhone user.? Have fun figuring out why this exists and who is to blame!)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2