Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    644 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Replaced Droid with iPhone, Music vs Voice bluetooth issue

For the past two or so years, I've been using an iPod Touch for music and a Droid X for phone. In the car, I had set up two separate BT "kits". Clipped to my visor is a Moto speaker that is paired to the Droid, no problem. As of about a year ago, plugged into the stereo's aux input jack is a Belkin BT converter that was paired to the iTouch, no problem (the Belkin unit replaces a hard-wired setup I had been using as the intent at the time was to put everything on the Droid and its headphone jack sucks). As of two days ago, I now have an iPhone 5. This replaces both the Droid and the iTouch. And there is a problem.

I paired the iPhone to the Belkin adapter, and for music, it works just as good as it did with the iTouch. However, voice quality for phone calls sucks. Not just what the other person hears from me, but also what I hear. It's not static, and it's not volume. It's garbled. I could barely make out what the other person was saying. That was the only call attempted using the iPhone in the car so far.

Same phone, same caller, but on my end using the same Plantronics bluetooth over-the-ear headset that I used with the Droid, no problem for voice calls or music (except that it's monaural). I would prefer to stay with bluetooth, as that means only one thing to plug into the phone (the power/charge cord) rather than two (plus a cord). Is this a fault with the phone, the Belkin unit, or a random one-off glitch?
    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
    Double ROT-13 encrypted for your protection
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Default Re: Replaced Droid with iPhone, Music vs Voice bluetooth issue

You said that you used a Moto with the Droid for phone calls. How is it with the iPhone, and can you use it for music?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    7,947 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

This is going to sound really weird, but on my truck, when i paired my iPhone 5 with the bluetooth setup it had TERRIBLE audio at first (calls and TuneIn Radio, etc)...i was pissed but went online and someone was complaining of the same thing. Their fix was to change the name of the iPhone under settings (under general and about), after i changed the name, it connected and i never had a problem again (that was probably a week after i got the phone if a remember correctly, zero problems since).

Not saying this is your same situation, but it worked for me (for some reason, i literally have no idea why this would work but it did).
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    644 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    You said that you used a Moto with the Droid for phone calls. How is it with the iPhone, and can you use it for music?
    I don't know how the Moto speaker is with the iPhone is. Technically, it can connect to the stereo, but it's via an FM transmitter. Been there, done that, which is why I installed the aux jack on the stereo six years ago.
    --
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    644 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    i changed the name, it connected and i never had a problem again (that was probably a week after i got the phone if a remember correctly, zero problems since).

Not saying this is your same situation, but it worked for me (for some reason, i literally have no idea why this would work but it did).
    I'll give that a try, thanks.
    --
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    644 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Ok, so I renamed the iPhone and re-paired it with the BT-aux adapter in the car, and the quality does seem to be slightly better. However, I have discovered another possible music vs call issue:

I lost two calls this evening and I'm not sure if the cause is the phone or the headset. I have no reason to believe it's the carrier (Verizon) unless the phone's status is lying to me about the signal quality. The first drop happened as I was transferring the call from the handset to the headset - just as the headset should have picked up the call, the call went away. The second time, maybe ten minutes later after I called my friend back, the line went silent and then the call went away. This was fully on the headset. The headset is a Plantronics Voyager Legend, and at no time did the phone or headset tell me that the bluetooth or cellular connection had died.

The iPhone is the iPhone 5, running iOS 6.1.
    --