Dead wifi, again

RevJar

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
So I got my iPhone 5 brand new on Jan. 8. That night I was calling Verizon because the wifi was sluggish to none. After a few days and being escalated to Apple, Apple ruled it DOA and I got a new phone. Today (Jan. 27) wifi won't connect to my home network or at the church where I work. It sees both networks. I even tried putting in the passwords again and I get a prompt that says it can't connect to network. I know the 5 has been plagued with wifi issues, but this is getting ridiculous. I have reset all settings, reset network settings and get no response. The only thing that changed between yesterday and today was that I put my phone in an Otterbox case yesterday. Surely that wouldn't kill my wifi; it never did on my 4. Any suggestions short of punting it?

Phone is running stock 6.0.2 and wifi was working okay before this morning.

iandrewj

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Check to see if the routers you are connecting to are using auto channel. You'll have to login to the router and change the setting. Most, if not all, routers use auto. Apple wifi devices have a love hate relationship with this setting. Choose a channel that potentially has no overlap with other routers that might be around you. Your best bets are ch. 11, 1 or 6 (in that order). If you have a laptop, install a program called inSSIDer (android has an app call Wifi Analyzer that does the same job). This will allow you to do a site survey to see what channels are being used around you. Good luck!

Sent from my iP5 using Tapatalk

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
In my case ,and based on solely my own scenarios, I've noticed that
if I have a case on my iPhone 5, which is very rare, my wifi connectivity
suffers at times. Something makes me think the Otterbox might be
causing connectivity issues. Try and connect the phone to those
networks without a case and see what kind of results you get. I'm
convinced that the iPhone 5 issues are real.

lizinnyc

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I have found that the reception on my iphone 5 (wifi in particular) is particularly sensitive to the case I have on. With no case, my iphone 5 is just as good as my 4s. If I use a case with any metal, the reception suffers a lot - to the point where I cannot maintain a wifi connection when I am sitting 2 feet from the router. Most plastic cases are okay, though I sometimes have trouble with a weak signal (even where my 4s can connect without problem). So, my guess is that the case may be causing the issue.

RevJar

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I tried a host of things. I changed channels on the router. Heck, I even tried two different routers at home and one at work. Nothing. Otterbox case on or off, wifi would not connect until I was on the phone with Apple setting up for service pickup when it decided to start working. I was one room away from the router with no case on. Two rooms away and no signal. Same at the office.

I just got an email back from Apple that they were unable I reproduce the issue and it should be delivered to me tomorrow. So I guess the Otterbox case was partly to blame. So now I need to find a new case that will protect it that gives protection like an Otterbox but doesn't kill the wifi. But what I don't get is when I took the case off, rebooted the device, heck, even when I restored it to a new device with no case that it couldn't connect to wifi. Any thoughts on that one?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Currently is an AT&T A/B/G (A/B for sure) and a Dlink A/B/G/N.

I can tell you that in my experience my iPhone 4S did a much better job of staying connected
to whatever routers it was connected to and actually maintaining the speeds the MBPS were
assigned to give. Same routers, same places, walls and stuff that could block connections,
I'm having bad experiences with my iPhone 5 and I can think of nothing else but it being due
to the wifi antenna. I really think that your device suffers from the same antenna problem and
doesn't handle barriers (walls and such) that well.

Being right next to the routers and the phone not connecting is a whole 'nother thing. If another
exchange doesn't work, I don't know what else can be done. I've pretty much gave up myself
on the wifi issues I've had with this thing.

iandrewj

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Currently is an AT&T A/B/G (A/B for sure) and a Dlink A/B/G/N.

Does the AT&T not have wifi N? Can all your wifi devices support N connections? If so set the AT&T and DLink to N only. Try this using G only as well.

Also, what model DLink? There might be a firmware update for it which could fix the problem.

Sent from my iP5 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711