Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default iPhone as internet device only

can an iPhone be used to access the internet without using it as a phone?

Global Posts
    11,525 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Yes... you can use an iPhone for data only... but to my knowledge, every carrier requires a voice plan... so you can't have an iPhone with data only... once upon a time, one could have a Blackberry with data only... but that is no more.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts

This may not apply to you at all but, apparently under the right and extremely fluke circumstances what you're trying to accomplish could actually be possible. Good luck.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,207 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Default Re: iPhone as internet device only

You can do some pre-paid data services on the iPhone granted it is unlocked...but the amount of money you'd spend on this will most likely prove to be a lost cause in your attempt to refrain from having the total cost of a data plan + voice, pre-paid data plans are ridiculously over priced and give you very little data to use before "per" charges begin to apply.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts

I used to have a data only device via att. I got corporate discounts via my work, and by having two separate lines i was able to double the discount and pay a $25 unlimited data monthly fee. I wanted an ipod touch, and figured why not get an iphone to use on my data only line. The problem was, Apple & att wouldnt activate a data only iphone. The loophole was that if you are hearing impaired then apple would activate the device as data only. My dad is hard of hearing from working in construction industry, and I thought that may be an vessel towards my data only iphone. In the end, I just bought an ipod touch, ended my data only device and added data to my other line since I switched to sprint which included data for the same price att was charging me for just talk & text.

Looking back at my $25 a month unlimited data plan, I regret not pushing for the data only iphone. I could have ported my actual cell number to google voice and paid $25 a month (total bill after taxes) for unlimited everything.

Global Posts
    3,705 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS7.1b5

If you are trying to connect it as an internet only device and want to use it on WiFi you can turn off cellular data and use it to your hearts content. Both my children have older iPhone4's and use them like that. If you need a data plan to connect away from a WiFi access point you can get the pay as you go minutes plan and use the data only.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Why not just buy an iPod Touch? They have the exact same screen as the iPhone, yet sell for less than half the price of an equivalent iPhone 5. It seems crazy to me to be paying hundreds more to Apple for functions you will never use.